Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omg this is harder than I thought

I have been fairly confident in having the sleeve until today. Today is my first day of preop diet. I am now questioning if I am going to be able to succeed with the sleeve. Do I have the will power to stick with my post op diet? I am fighting head hunger already. I am not scared of the surgery itself. I am scared that I will go back to my old habits.

Please tell me this is normal!!

I think everyone feels like this, and the answer is yes it will be a big change and it is not always easy but post-op hunger is easier handled because the sleeve. You may feel hungry but it doesn't take much to fill you up. So my post op dieting was a lot easier then the pre-op as far as hunger issues.

:)

Remember, today you are not only fight head hungry, you are fighting real hunger, in a stretched out stomach. I had my surgery 10 days ago and I can't believe how NOT hungry I am. I do have some head cravings, but I recognize them for that and move along to something else.

I think once you are sleeved and healed you will think this is the best decision you every made.

Good luck on your surgery in a few days......it will work out fine and you can start your new healthier life!

I can attest to the post op being easier. It took me 8 hours to get in 6 ounce of Protein drink yesterday and I have to remind myself to drink it. If not for thirst I would forget to even drink as there is NO hunger what so ever. I had my first case of head hunger yesterday 4 days out and it was triggered by seeing some of my fave junk food being eaten by others, each time I thought how good that would be the following thoughts occurred: That looks good, that would taste good, your stomach is raw with a new staple line, check with the stomach confirms no physical hunger,,, end of thoughts.:rolleyes:

Don't forget that when struggling you have outlets, like here, your nutritionist and counseling and support groups are all additional tools, make sure you use them!

Ps, I have to admit on the pre op diet it was all consuming in the head too as well are real hunger. I did stray a couple times, I had salad twice because the Protein was constipating me and one night I had chicken fajitas minus the tortilla. So If I did cheat, i cheated healthy. When my doubts took over I reminding myself of all the reason I needed the sleeve, pre diabetes, high blood pressure, herniated disks and a bum knee and that was enough to remind me the getting the sleeve was not an option, it was a necessity for health.

This is totally normal I went through the exact same thing!!!! Pre Op Diet Day 1 is my post from 3 days ago. By the second day I still had issues but was much more in control of my self, Day 3 so far has been a breeze. Anytime you feel the slightest bit of head hunger on the first day shove some yogurt, popsicle, broth etc in your mouth. That is what helped me. My coordinator told me the first day satisfy any craving you have with something liquid. And eventually it gets better this is the shake that I use now that makes me feel good.

Breakfast and Last Meal of the Day

half scoop of chocolate Protein powder

half scoop of vanilla Protein Powder

12 oz of Water

1 package of sf chocolate pudding

half scoop of low fat dry milk

5 or 6 cubes of ice

this whole shake is 230 calories and I begin and end my days with this shake. ( use a blender to mix it up otherwise it doesn't taste as great I use a Ninja I got for 50 bucks from Sams.

Anytime I get hungry, or crave something or just get head hunger I drink a cup of broth with pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder mixed in -- it taste like chicken noodle Soup broth, black cherry sf Jello, sf pudding cup, or a popsicle ( make sure you alternate between what you eat or you get bored)

But be prepared you will urinate ALL THE TIME -- this has been one of the most annoying parts of this process. I got up 7 times last night to pee. And yesterday we went and saw two movies and every 20 minutes I had to go really badly!

But you can make It!!! I PROMISE. I didn't think I could get through day 1 but I'm already on day 3. We can do this and we are totally strong enough to do this!

I am drinking beef broth. It is nice to have something hot and salty. Almost through today, only 2 more days of this then surgery. I would kill for a chicken breast or some almonds. I am doing a little better now.

I am drinking beef broth. It is nice to have something hot and salty. Almost through today, only 2 more days of this then surgery. I would kill for a chicken breast or some almonds. I am doing a little better now.

I am day 5 of the liquid diet....the first few days I was eating something every two hours but I made it. Surgery is scheduled for Wednesday. We can do this. I even have cooked a real meal for my husband and was able to do this without cheating. I do drink chicken broth before so I feel full and I haven't even licked the spoon. LOL

I am so afraid of the 2 week liquid diet as well! It's glad to read some of the suggestions people gave.

Good luck I hope the rest of your pre-op times flies!!!!

...and was able to do this without cheating.

I had a funny thought about the pre-op diet cheating.

You know, when someone asks you if you were good and stuck with your diet, you can always say yes, right? No one will ever know if you snuck in a burger or some fries.

HA - not so much, your surgeon will cut open your stomach and if there is a half digested piece of burger sitting scared in the corner of your tummy afraid of the light - HE'LL KNOW YOU CHEATED :-)

Maybe it was just my diluted pre-op diet brain, but I had to laugh at the thought...the one and only time someone will really be able to see if you cheated on your diet :P

48 hours to go. I feel horrible today. Between the carb withdrawal and caffiene withdrawal. I did cheat and have a small piece of low fat string cheese last night. It didn't help so no more cheating. Orange sugar free Popsicles are my new best friend. Thanks for all the support. I don't know how people do this for 14 days.

Hugs lisa!! It will all be worth it and then some in the end, you'll see.

...and yes it's MUCH easier post op. You won't feel real hunger (some still do but not nearly as much as pre-op) and you can't eat a lot anymore. You will be just fine.

Believe me... I struggled A LOT pre-surgery. I did it though, and I'm doing fabulous now! ;)

I have all the faith in the world in you ..... you can do it..... :P

One more day and surgery day will be here

Love you bestie....

Talk tomorrow

I have been fairly confident in having the sleeve until today. Today is my first day of preop diet. I am now questioning if I am going to be able to succeed with the sleeve. Do I have the will power to stick with my post op diet? I am fighting head hunger already. I am not scared of the surgery itself. I am scared that I will go back to my old habits.

Please tell me this is normal!!

Hey, I don't think that anyone on here has questions wheather or not it's the right thing to do. You'll be suprised how much better it will get each day. I wish you the best with your surgery.