Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ten weeks out - not as easy as I thought...

Hey everyone,

I hope you are all doing well. Although I do not post here that much these days, I often check in and see what everyone's up to.

I have been trying to deal with a stall for almost 5 weeks now, and it is finally getting me down so much I felt the need to seek some support from you guys. Having done plenty of reading on here both pre and post op, I always knew that stalls were going to happen. But this just seems to be going on too long :( I don't remember seeing anyone talk about stalls which last over a month...

At first I was losing approx 5lb per week. I have lost 28lb since the op, with 7lb lost pre-op. So 35lb in total thus far. As a lightweight with only approx 80lb to lose I was really pleased with that. The problem is that I have been hovering between 179 - 183 for almost 5 weeks now.

I made a record of everything I was eating showing calories and Protein, and emailed it to my dietician who sent me some tips on things to cut out / replace. I have made these adjustments but STILL no loss after ten days.

I am swimming for approx 25 mins four times a week.

If anyone has any further suggestions on what I can do to start things moving again I would be so happy. I have a dress I was very much hoping to wear at Xmas but I am still about 7lb off being able to wear it comfortably.

I also feel like a bit of a failure because my family keep asking me "So have you lost any more weight?" and I keep having to say no :( Maybe I need to shake up my exercise a bit and do some gym work instead of just swimming? I know about the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" issue, and the "losing inches but not lb" issue. But surely after five weeks I should be seeing SOME movement?

Yours frustratedly

Lyndsey xxx

I say, change up your workout. Hopefully you don't have one of those dietiticians who's got you on a 200-calorie diet.

I broke my stall this morning....Yours will break soon too!!! I'm sure of it! Stalls just happen :( hugs to you!

Hey,

I am a slow loser ... and yes, it is frustrating,,, BUT Congrats on your weight loss to date! Someone once said to me, 'just think of the weight you could have put on!'

I keep that close to me when I have no weekly loss or really slow loss!

Have you tried to increase you fluids, Water etc... I find that helps when things stop moving. I also agree with Blackberryjuice... change the exercise up too.

Don't worry too much though, you will lose it... chin up and let us know how you get on =]

Without knowing your dietary specifics, it's tough to make recommendations. One thing you can always do is drop your carbs.

try changing your work out routine. start incorporating weight training a few days a week

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to start using the gym like you suggested and see how things go. I will also try and drink more Water.

Someone said that without knowing my diet it is hard to comment. I would be interested to see how my intake compares to other people's too.

I'm currently taking in between 700-1000 calories per day with a menu similar to the below:

Breakfast: Two tablespoons low fat natural greek yoghurt with one tablespoon of oatbran (supposedly helps with the Constipation? !)

Mid am: 3 wafer thin slices or one hand carved slice of pre-cooked chicken, or small handful nuts, or cheese string

Lunch: One wholemeal cracker with tuna&low fat mayo and half a tin of chicken Soup

Mid pm: piece of low fat cheese, or a Protein bar/shake, or a wholefood Cereal and fruit bar

Dinner: 1 egg omelette with cheese and onion and a little carrot, or small can of baked Beans, or small portion of shepherd's pie (more meat, less potato) etc etc...

Evening snack: Malted drink (warming and high in Calcium - but has sugar so should maybe cut out) or Protein shake

Fluid throughout the day: 2 pints of sugar free blackcurrant squash, 3 cups redbush tea with milk, 2 cups Decaf milky coffee

Oh, and I should probably add that I usually have approx 4 glasses of wine at the weekend and maybe one small cake or bag of corn puffs per week? *slaps her own wrist*

Definitely drop the alcohol and your carb count. Too much for where you are, right now. I had to sign a document with my surgeon that I would not have alcohol, caffeine or starches until after 12 months. During the first 12 months, the honeymoon period, I can only have up to 40 carbs per day.

Thanks LowCho.

I guess I just hoped that since my problem was always with volume eating, the fact that I can eat so little now would mean that I would lose.

My dietician and surgeon's guidelines only said to use moderation where alcohol is concerned, and to ensure I take Vitamins. There was no 60g Protein, 40g carbs etc rules. I do think I am following a fairly healthy diet though, and really didn't want to cut out all treats and deprive myself. If I felt I was over indulging then I could understand, but in my opinion I am not.

But in all fairness I asked you for suggestions on how to break my stall, which you have done. So I guess I am just being childish and stamping my feet about these little treats which I might have to give up, but didn't think I would have to :(

LOL I can understand what you are saying. You feel like you are eating so much less then pre-op, you are making better choices and of course you feel like you deserve some treats in very small moderation. However we justify it the body probably isn't in our justifications and just needs some more time of stricter dieting. You have lost like 30+ so don't be too discouraged but just put yourself back on a stricter eating phase even for a week or two along with stepping up your exercise and I think you will see results on the scale and that may be enough to help the motivation to hang off a little longer on the extra's.

Chin up!

Thanks LowCho.

I guess I just hoped that since my problem was always with volume eating, the fact that I can eat so little now would mean that I would lose.

My dietician and surgeon's guidelines only said to use moderation where alcohol is concerned, and to ensure I take Vitamins. There was no 60g Protein, 40g carbs etc rules. I do think I am following a fairly healthy diet though, and really didn't want to cut out all treats and deprive myself. If I felt I was over indulging then I could understand, but in my opinion I am not.

But in all fairness I asked you for suggestions on how to break my stall, which you have done. So I guess I am just being childish and stamping my feet about these little treats which I might have to give up, but didn't think I would have to :(

No worries ... everyone has to find their own way :-)

A lot of people will probably not agree but I have heard that if you use swimming as your primary excercise that you body will create a thin lining of fat to keep your body warm. I had a professional diver as a friend and we talked about the benefits of swimming as a primary exercise. I really don't know if there is any truth to this but I know that swimming is easier on your joints. I would personally concentrate on more cardio getting that heart rate up burning on the 1000 carlories that your taking in..Try walking a brisk mile in 20 minutes. I usually go work out and only have to set the tredmill at 3 miles an hour to get my mile in 20 minutes. Just my thoughts on it good luck with the stall..:)

Thanks LowCho.

I'd say no alcohol until you are at goal....and up your Protein. My surgeon has had me at 60 grams since I left the hospital. I don't know about the Snacks you are eating, but look at the sugar content with any protein or power bars you are eating. Good luck.....I think if you just make a few changes, mainly with the alcohol and making sure you up your protein, you'll kick start your weight loss again! My protein intake is 60 - 75 grams a day! Good luck!!!

You might want to cut your calorie intake a bit. You seem like you are eating a lot. I generally consume about 500 calories a day-maybe 750 on a rare heavy day and I am about a week and a half behind you. Definitely cut the sweets and alcohol.