Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Cheated a few times and now I'm scared

Hi everyone!!!! so i had my surgery on November 1st and i weighed 263 and currently weigh 242 so I lost 21lbs.... everyday I'm eat something I'm not suppose like tuna sandwich or two bites of a donut or coffee like with sugar... and for the past week ive been at the same weight!!!! I'm worried that my stupid habit's of having a bite hear and there have stalled my weight loss, but how can one bite really stop me from losing weight.... has this ever happened to anyone....

Thanks Zuby

A stall at this stage is normal so it's probably not from your "one bite", but if you're eating a lot of carbs and sugars that will not help the issue. If you really want to get control of it, do it now. Don't wait 2-3 months to try change those habits because it only gets more difficult the further out you get from your surgery.

You are brave - I am way too scared to eat anything like a sandwich.

But like you, I am at a stall too, with similar stats and I think I have read at least 2 or 4 other posts about this.

It's pretty much impossible to actually lose 21 pounds of weight in 14 days - do the math, it is 1.5 pounds a day. 1 pound of fat is the equivalent of 3,500 calories, so in order to lose 1 pound of fat, you have to eat 3,500 calories than you need. I only need about 1,600 calories (at my current activity level) or so to sustain so even if I eat nothing, I would only lose 1 pound every two days - so if I lose more than that, I know it's muscle and dehydration.

My take on it is this:

I believe post surgery, I dropped a lot because I was dehydrated and I also believe my body was in some kind of shock. Now at this point, my body catches up with hydration and comes out of the daze and while I am now actually losing body mass, the fact I am getting proper hydration and just getting healthy again somewhat balances that out on the scale.

Just imagine your 21 pounds - the volume of 6 gallons of milk, it's not really possible so there is no reason to worry. You body is rearranging and rethinking.

Other than that, if you are really worried about your intake, start logging you calories.

Hi everyone!!!! so i had my surgery on November 1st and i weighed 263 and currently weigh 242 so I lost 21lbs.... everyday I'm eat something I'm not suppose like tuna sandwich or two bites of a donut or coffee like with sugar... and for the past week ive been at the same weight!!!! I'm worried that my stupid habit's of having a bite hear and there have stalled my weight loss, but how can one bite really stop me from losing weight.... has this ever happened to anyone....

Thanks Zuby

i also think that what you need to do is exercise....start walking, or some cardio exercises, you could take some zumba classes, they are great for burning calories.

You had surgery on Nov. 1st? What is your post op diet? Are you supposed to be on a liquid diet at this time?

This surgery is not a magic cure. Believe me, maintenance is where all the little bites of this and that start creeping in, and it's very easy to start gaining weight back. If you can't follow instructions within the first 3 weeks of surgery, how do you expect to live with a sleeve life long, and keep your weight off?

I am sorry if I sound harsh, but it makes me wonder why you had this surgery.

I am still pre-op but I did listen to a video on youtube where this girl mentioned that she goes to support groups and there are people sitting there talking about how the slide milk shakes and twinkies etc and how they are upset at their gain, her take on that was that if we don't change our way of looking at food and our unhealthy relationships with it according to her 6-9 months post op her own words: "the honeymoon is over" and then you are stuck with old habits and no weight loss. I am really taking to heart everything that post-opers are saying because if I simply can't stop lying to myself and cheating on myself then I will not have the surgery bottom line, I'll just stay this way-unhappy.

Thank!!! im trying very hard to stay on my diet but ,y self control is really low at this point!!!! i cant understand why!!! but for the last few days Ive been on a Protein Shake and tuna diet!!! and hopefully i can remain in that direction.... its really tough didn't think it would be this difficult. I guess food really was a major part in my life!!!!!!!!

Thank!!! im trying very hard to stay on my diet but ,y self control is really low at this point!!!! i cant understand why!!! but for the last few days Ive been on a Protein shake and tuna diet!!! and hopefully i can remain in that direction.... its really tough didn't think it would be this difficult. I guess food really was a major part in my life!!!!!!!!

We all have food issues or we wouldn't have had 85% of our stomachs removed, so we understand. I just know that it's much more difficult to make "the best" choice in food the further out you get from surgery. I can eat twice as much as I could at 2-3 months out, and it takes effort to eat chicken over mashed potatoes or mac-n-cheese. I really focused during the first 6 months to change my relationship with food because I knew that I had to make a lifelong change, or I'd end up fat again or not get to goal. The sleeve only does so much for us. The rest is on us(mentally and emotionally) to make the decision on how and what we feed our bodies. I would recommend getting rid of foods that would tempt you, set a menu, get a routine and schedule, and be disciplined. I promise you that almost 18 months out: NOTHING (and I mean nothing) tastes as good as being this thin FEELS ! ! !

I am scheduled for surgery Dec 22 and am wondering if my mind is where it needs to be also. I have attempted to do a low carb/protein diet for the past couple weeks and can't seem to stay on it. Am wondering if I need to be re-thinking my surgery?? I have a two week liquid diet prior to surgery, buy my biggest concern right now is why I can't stay focused and do this low carb/protein diet? I have been eating better, but can't seem to give up the carbs.

I am only 6 days out and I can say that FEAR is what keeps me on track with the diet (and some pain still! LOL) I just know me though and the fear of it hurting, vomitting or gaining weight is going to be my motivating factor!! I did not just go through all this to gain weight again!!!!!

Dawn -

Hoping fear will keep ME on track after my surgery!! Sounds like you are doing well for six days post op. Are you having much pain or other side affects?

Thanks Zuby

One bite is certainly not going to stop your weight loss; however, it is the beginning of a slippery slope. As others have mentioned, you would do well to get back on track ASAP.

Dawn -

Hoping fear will keep ME on track after my surgery!! Sounds like you are doing well for six days post op. Are you having much pain or other side affects?

HORRIBLE gas pains and thats it!

my 1st two week being on liquid diet I was doing okay. but on November 15 I was able to move to soft pureed food. and i started by eating tuna and since that went down fine the next day i took a bite from my sister tuna fish sandwich and that went down okay. and for a moment I lost my self i would take a sip from my mom's coffee or a bite from my brother donut!!! I was mourning food like crazy!!!! just seeing food on commercial would make my mouth Water and it still does. I am almost 3weeks out and for the most part regret having the surgery.... I'm mad at myself for not having more control or rather self control.... for the last six months all I could think about was having this surgery, wearing nice clothing going up the stairs and not going out of breath and actually having a relationship where I didn't feel so insecure all the time. and now all I could think about is wanting my Old stomach back!!!! I live with my parents and two younger sibling and when i see them eat all those food that I loved to eat I cant help but CRY.. for the last 4 days Ive been back on my restricted diet but its incredibly hard, because before my diet I never had any type of fish other then tuna and even now I don't like any other fish and i don't like eggs or ricotta cheese so eating tuna and chicken everyday for the next two weeks its feels really overwhelming not to mention the awful Protein Shake from Isopure. before November 1st I was an over weight person but a happy person, I just don't want to feel miserable and unhappy all the time!!!!!