Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

UNABLE TO SLEEP AND FEELS LIKE RESTLESS LEG SYNDROME BUT IN ARMS

I'm one week out of surgery and now I'm going thru some stuff I really don't care for and its driving me absolutely crazy. Ever since the surgery I can only sleep maybe 2 hrs at night and then as the night progresses my arms get jittery like restless leg syndrome but in the arms. The doc looked at me like I was crazy, does anyone have this????

my sleep wasnt normal for about the first week.....i got about 5 hours in a night and once in a while id get restless legs but i believe it was because the stiches and soreness ...and i usually sleep on my stomach but couldnt...itll get better quick ...it did for me

I'm one week out of surgery and now I'm going thru some stuff I really don't care for and its driving me absolutely crazy. Ever since the surgery I can only sleep maybe 2 hrs at night and then as the night progresses my arms get jittery like restless leg syndrome but in the arms. The doc looked at me like I was crazy, does anyone have this????

Are you by chance using liquid Tylenol or Tylenol PM? For some reason, I get restless leg syndrome issues at night when I use those products. Odd huh?

my sleep wasnt normal for about the first week.....i got about 5 hours in a night and once in a while id get restless legs but i believe it was because the stiches and soreness ...and i usually sleep on my stomach but couldnt...itll get better quick ...it did for me

My Dr told me to take tylenol pm rapid release to help me sleep but maybe i'll try going without it tonight and see if that is the problem. He also told me to take liquid benedryl, that didnt work and I actually woke up soooo sick this morning. but like I said my arm have that restless leg syndrome and I have my husband massage my up body and that isnt helping, kinda like muscle spasims I guess. I seriously feel like a crackhead on a really good trip, lol.... But its really fustrating to me

Thx Doeboy, I sleep on my stomach too and ya thats not really an option now. Im up to 3 hrs of sleep now when I can get to sleep, hopefully in a couple days

I actually get this really bad if I take any antihistamines - I didn't realize for a long time what it was, but whenever I took benadryl, etc, Tylenol PM, anything with a "-hydramine" in it, I get crazy restless arm/leg/whatever - feels like bugs crawling under my skin and I just want to rip it off, it's awful!

Leslie, I had trouble sleeping too for the first week or so. You're not alone. Like doeboy, I wonder if its those of us who like sleeping on our stomachs? I do, and its hard for me to sleep any other way.

I was able to start sleeping on my stomach about a week and a half later, and as I think back, that was around the time I was able to sleep better.

I've never heard of the Tylenol thing, but wow - I wonder if that's me too. I felt restless leg syndrome type stuff too when I was taking a lot of the liquid Tylenol.

Interesting...

it sounds like a drug interaction kinda thing, and i heard the anesthesia and post op drugs can stay in your system up to 3 weeks. hope you feel better soon.....vicki

Every time I've gone really, really low carb, I get way more muscle spasms, and I've figured out that if I take extra potassium, it calms them right down. Do your muscles feel twitchy? I wonder if you're low on potassium?

I had the same exact issues. The nutritionists said it is more than likely low Calcium. Once I started taking calcium citrate with Magnesium and Vitamin D, it went away.

I'm just starting this regimen since last night. I noticed I was getting a lot of leg cramps. I didn't figure it was dehydration because I drink a lot of Water all day long. Then I remembered I'd not been taking any calcium. I'm not eating hardly any dairies and drinking zero milk... made perfect sense. I went to Vitamin Shoppe last night and bought some calcium citrate with Magnesium, and a bottle of Potassium Citrate. I already feel better. I'm already taking 5,000 BU of Vitamin D - so that wasn't necessary.

I'm going to take 2 doses of this stuff per day. One with Breakfast and one with dinner. I'll take my chewable Iron I bought as well with lunch. Wish me luck!!

It's not easy figuring all this stuff out! I'll get it though.

I'm just starting this regimen since last night. I noticed I was getting a lot of leg cramps. I didn't figure it was dehydration because I drink a lot of Water all day long. Then I remembered I'd not been taking any Calcium. I'm not eating hardly any dairies and drinking zero milk... made perfect sense. I went to Vitamin Shoppe last night and bought some calcium citrate with Magnesium, and a bottle of Potassium Citrate. I already feel better. I'm already taking 5,000 BU of Vitamin D - so that wasn't necessary.

I'm going to take 2 doses of this stuff per day. One with Breakfast and one with dinner. I'll take my chewable Iron I bought as well with lunch. Wish me luck!!

It's not easy figuring all this stuff out! I'll get it though.

Glad it helps! I am becoming a regular at the Vitamin Shoppe.

I have RLS and take medication for it. You are not crazy, you can get it in your arms too. RLS can be triggered in some ppl after the trauma of surgery, etc. Also, it is ALWAYS worse at night. If you don't have a reduction in symptoms within the next week, I would suggest seeing a dr that treats RLS. Best of luck to you.