Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Such A Cheater!

Ok, so I was finally banded on June 5th after waiting for soooo long and I was determined to be compliant and not cheat.

However.... of course I did! I'm really torn about how I feel about it too, because on one hand of course I feel bad for not following the rules, but on the other hand I have been literally faint from not eating much substence (it's a Protein issue maybe?) so my body is so happy that I gave it something with substance. :hungry:

My doc wants me on clear and full liquids for 3 weeks. I'm only 1/2 way in. I feel AWESOME, am back at work, drinking 8-10 glasses of Water daily with no problem, minimal pain and only at port site and seemingly no restriction.

I'm curious, what is the definition of a full liquid? Does it still have to be sucked through a straw? Because my food list says clear/full liquids, but also has yogurt listed, which I never thought of as a liquid..

Ok.. here are the foods I "cheated" with:

Cottage cheese - 1/4 cup

Chili (blended, so still pretty liquidy) 1/2 cup

tuna w/mayo (about 3 bites)

So here's my question/plea for help :help:

1st - do you think I've hurt anything by eating these foods? I made sure to chew chew chew chew as well as I could and ate very slowly at all.

2nd - Am I just beyond hope?! I'm really mad at myself for not being able to stick to the liquid thing for 3 weeks and while I'm certainly not throwing up my hands and quitting (how could I :) ) I know the next week and a half are going to be really hard!

I'd really like to hear from other people who have "cheated" even if on healthy foods. I know my doctor is conservative in his liquid stage, how long were other people on liquids before they could go to mushies?

Please, no negative comments - I'm beating myself up enough on my own. I'm just wondering if anyone else felt like this or did this and how it turned out. Of course encouraging words are always welcome.

Please tell me I'm normal!!!

Veritas, I am 7 days post op and I cheated last night. It didn't make me feel very good so I'm back on liquids today. He told me that the liquid phase is whatever will pass through a straw. I had a little bit of lean chicken and some squash. The squash was wonderful because it turned to liquid in my mouth when I chewed. But then I had to take my anti naseau medication last night. The healing process is vital so that is why today I am on full liquids again. I am suppose to go to soft/mush food next week. The "ball" in the stomach feeling is getting better. I hear that is the sensation you get when you are full after you have a fill. Sounds like you are on the right track. Just make sure you don't overdue the foods because you will not heal as fast. Good luck.

Here is what is considered a liquid diet per my doctor:

LIQUID DIET:

*coffee, tea, fruit juice (NO orange or grapefruit)

*Crystal light, Nutrasweet, sugar free Kool-Aid

*Diet drinks

*Protein drinks as advised by the doctor (Myocel)

*broth

*Skim milk or Lactaid milk

*Sugar free Jell-O or sugar free popsicles

*Low fat yogurt

*Sugar free pudding

*Applesauce or baby food fruit

Now here is my interpretation. I took the "baby food fruit" to mean any kind of baby food and anything with the consistancy of baby food. So I have made my own liquidy type things... like cambells Soup in the blender. Baby food was great for the first few days, I really like the turkey dinner and Hawiian delight, but after a few days it is really bland.

Make sure you get your Protein in. I drink an Isopure shake first thing in the morning (50 grams of protein), then I don't worry about it so much the rest of the day and drink my tea/soup/etc and have only ventured out to mashed potatoes. I had 1/2 cup of liquidy mashed potatoes today... and they were good.

Be sure to read/reread the June 2006 band crew thread, alot of people have posted their doctors requirements there and my help.

Don't cheat too much, you don't want to bust your stitches, or screw anything up. We are all here for you. Welcome to bandland!

P.S. The only thing I would possibly consider a cheat is the tuna. May be a little rough for the tummy to churn at this point... and that is what we are trying to avoid... so no worries about the cottage cheese and stuff. :love:

The "anything you can drink through a straw" rule was what I was told. That would include blended casseroles, Soups without chunks (or blended). I wouldn't worry about the cottage cheese or blended chili...I'd skip the tuna for awhile. V-8 and Protein shakes (Atkins) were my mainstays during the full liquids stage. Hang in there, and I promise you the mushies will taste like heaven when you get to have them!

Emily

Hi Kayla,

Don't be discouraged! I cheated about a week out when my husband went out of town and left his spaghetti take-out in the fridge. I also had some chili that same night which I could have blended, but was so hungry I didn't. Of course, I started my period that night. I should have known, my willpower (what there is of it) was no match for pms hunger.

Anyway, I'm sure you didn't do any damage.

I found potato cheese Soup very satisfying and here is a recipe for pumpkin soup that a friend brought me the day after I cheated. It is savory and delicious and definately fits through a straw!

EASY pumpkin SOUP<o =""></o>

<o =""></o>

2 T olive oil (I used 1T)<o =""></o>

2 cloves garlic smashed not chopped<o =""></o>

1 shallot roughly chopped ( just enough to release the flavor and sweetness…you can also use ¼ of a sweet onion)<o =""></o>

1 small peice of peeled and chopped ginger <o =""></o>

(about the size of 1/2 your thumb)<o =""></o>

2 C chicken broth/stock (you can add more if you like thinner soup)<o =""></o>

1/4 tsp nutmeg<o =""></o>

1tsp salt<o =""></o>

1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree (not the one that is already spiced for pie)<o =""></o>

1/4 C cream or half and half ( I used nf milk and it was just as good) <o =""></o>

1 T butter or margarine<o =""></o>

dash of pepper<o =""></o>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o =""></o>

Over med heat in a 2 qt saucepan heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, shallot and ginger. Cook until tender but not brown—about a minute. Add salt, and stock. Let this simmer for 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon remove the garlic and ginger, and shallots from the liquid or strain reserving the liquid. Add the pumpkin puree and stir until smooth. Add the cream and the nutmeg and the butter. Bring this to a slow boil. Let this simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with a dash of black pepper or some parmesan cheese. Makes 4-5 cups.

Good luck! <o ="">:confused:></o>:grouphug:>

This is full liquid: If it can be sucked through a straw (not that you have too). So, find your favorite Soup and blend it. Thin with water/milk/broth etc until you could suck it through a straw. (chicken noodle soup blended tastes like chicken noodle soup!).

True, yogurt isn't really a liquid, but a yogurt smoothie is. You can find it near the yogurt in the coolers.

I don't like the Protein drinks, so Protein rich Soups really did it for me.

Ok I know that every doctor wants you on their version of a post op diet but I was liquids for like 2 days and then moved to pureed for the rest of the week and then went to soft stuff(mushies) and then by the start of the third week was on normal food for the most part. I doubt you did anything to your band. Your body would tell you something was wrong. Ease up on yourself. No one is perfect. We all cheat and bend the rules at times. Just get back on the wagon. Maybe call your doctor and tell him you were so hungery you had some cottage cheese...tell them it made you feel so much better and you tolerated it. Ask if you can move to the mushie stage.

Theoretically, the true definition of a "full liquid" diet means liquids that you cannot see through that you can get through a straw. However, pudding and yogurt are considered a full liquid in the same kind of manner that a popcicle is considered a clear liquid. If left at room temperature long enough, these things will be thin enough to get through a straw. But, because both have dairy products in them you probably don't want to do that for safety reasons.

If your body is really needing and craving something to eat, you're probably not getting enough. I would recommend a food log/diary so you can say with all confidance how many grams of Protein you're getting as well as how many calories you're consuming. It's a good habit to get into and very helpful to get you on a good path to make those healthy food choices later on.

Good things to eat on a full liquid diet:

Any creamed soup-you can also add Protein supplements

yogurt that does not have fruit chunks (lemon, key lime, boston cream pie, vanilla)-again, you can add Protein powder

pudding

custard (my favorite choice between that and pudding, and has more protein)

smoothies

Protein shakes or milk shakes

fudgecicles

ice cream

milk

anything that was allowed on the clear liquid diet (broth, popcicles, tea, crystal light, jello)

Remember, the first several weeks are about healing so focus on that not weight loss. That will come on it's own.

Today was my first day of MUSHIES. I was allowed to eat mashed potatos and I had a thumb size piece of ground beef (from meatloaf), I also experienced my first PB as a result of this meal. I threw the rest away and I'm putting myself back on Proteins liquids tomorrow, I really never want to experience that feeling again. As for permanent damage to my band,this is the way it works. I hope all is well with it because I just had it put in 1 week ago.

Thank you all for your replys, it's been very comforting to know I'm not the only one who has "strayed" from the path of band perfection. It's been a long journey and I'm only on day 11! But I appreciate that I can come here and spill the Beans and not be judged for it. Thanks again!

Thank you all for your replys, it's been very comforting to know I'm not the only one who has "strayed" from the path of band perfection. It's been a long journey and I'm only on day 11! But I appreciate that I can come here and spill the Beans and not be judged for it. Thanks again!

Be good to yourself! if you don't take care of your body where will you live