Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved two days ago!

Hello everyone! I have been lurking on on this forum for about a year or so, and it's been invaluable for learning about the procedure so thanks to all you that have been contributing your experiences and ideas.

I was sleeved outpatient on Thursday and went back Friday for a quick check-up, and it seems my progress is so far so good. I'm excited to have my sleeve, but at the same I don't think I have fully processed it yet - it's not like getting a boob job or Lipo, you can't process it immediately but I'm sure when the lbs fall off I will "get it" :)

I was on clears Thursday, mainly ice chips on Thurs since even swallowing Water was very uncomfortable. Due to the anti-nausea patch I also had the world's driest mouth, it was disgusting! The hotel i stayed at overnight had a free continental Breakfast so I decided to have some heavily diluted apple cider, it was nice to have something that tasted nice after only tasting the disgusting liquid oxycodone the day before. I also grabbed a few skim milks, caffeine-free tea bags and light yogurts to bring home for the next week :P Today I just had my first Protein Drink, a scoop of Optimum Nutrition Double Rich chocolate in 8 oz of skim milk, it's relatively tasty so I'm happy with it!

The worst part of my experience are kind of random: it took about four people to get an IV in me - I've known from having to do labs that I have the world's worst veins, but apparently securing a vein for IV is a lot more challenging. They brought in the anesthesiologist and fifth time was a charm, he managed to find a teeny tiny vein in my right wrist that worked for most of the time. I went back the next day to get more fluids and unfortunately the IV popped out a couple of times. The first time they put it back in but then when it started leaking again they spoke with the Dr, who said that I was healthy enough to just get my fluids the old-fashioned way (thank goodness, I hate being a pincushion).

Also, I have gotten a few bouts of hiccups, which are very aggravating and painful when they come right after surgery...the Dr I spoke with suggested that I take my valium and alternate between sipping hot and cold liquids. Don't really know the science behind it but I've been hiccup-free today so I'm happy.

So anyway, I'm very excited for the future! I had some second thoughts when I was thinking about the sleeve...food has been such an important part of my life (which goes for many others here I'm sure) so I went though almost a mourning period thinking about all the things I couldn't do, like each a McD's happy meal, Indian buffets or an entire Chipotle burrito. Then I guess it clicked with me that I did have a choice - I could eat all that stuff if I wanted to, the tradeoff would be that I would die early from health complications or maybe develop diabetes which would restrict what I could eat anyway. So why not get out ahead of all these things and take the initiative to lose the weight before life forces that upon me? I'll try to participate here more, there's so much insight about post-op care, sustaining weight loss and activity, can't wait to be a "loser" with the rest of you!

Glad to have you posting your experience on here Seattle. Congratulations on starting your journey to a healthier new you! Keep us posted on your progress.

Lily

welcome, i was sleeved on 11/1 and am down 9 lbs, so glad you are doing well. this forum is what keeps me sane, If you ever need anything just send a message....glad ur feeling well vicki :)

Congrats! Thanks for sharing how you are doing. It will help me get ready for my big day.

Hello everyone! I have been lurking on on this forum for about a year or so, and it's been invaluable for learning about the procedure so thanks to all you that have been contributing your experiences and ideas.

I was sleeved outpatient on Thursday and went back Friday for a quick check-up, and it seems my progress is so far so good. I'm excited to have my sleeve, but at the same I don't think I have fully processed it yet - it's not like getting a boob job or Lipo, you can't process it immediately but I'm sure when the lbs fall off I will "get it" :)

I was on clears Thursday, mainly ice chips on Thurs since even swallowing Water was very uncomfortable. Due to the anti-nausea patch I also had the world's driest mouth, it was disgusting! The hotel i stayed at overnight had a free continental breakfast so I decided to have some heavily diluted apple cider, it was nice to have something that tasted nice after only tasting the disgusting liquid oxycodone the day before. I also grabbed a few skim milks, caffeine-free tea bags and light yogurts to bring home for the next week :P Today I just had my first Protein drink, a scoop of Optimum Nutrition Double Rich chocolate in 8 oz of skim milk, it's relatively tasty so I'm happy with it!

The worst part of my experience are kind of random: it took about four people to get an IV in me - I've known from having to do labs that I have the world's worst veins, but apparently securing a vein for IV is a lot more challenging. They brought in the anesthesiologist and fifth time was a charm, he managed to find a teeny tiny vein in my right wrist that worked for most of the time. I went back the next day to get more fluids and unfortunately the IV popped out a couple of times. The first time they put it back in but then when it started leaking again they spoke with the Dr, who said that I was healthy enough to just get my fluids the old-fashioned way (thank goodness, I hate being a pincushion).

Also, I have gotten a few bouts of hiccups, which are very aggravating and painful when they come right after surgery...the Dr I spoke with suggested that I take my valium and alternate between sipping hot and cold liquids. Don't really know the science behind it but I've been hiccup-free today so I'm happy.

So anyway, I'm very excited for the future! I had some second thoughts when I was thinking about the sleeve...food has been such an important part of my life (which goes for many others here I'm sure) so I went though almost a mourning period thinking about all the things I couldn't do, like each a McD's happy meal, Indian buffets or an entire Chipotle burrito. Then I guess it clicked with me that I did have a choice - I could eat all that stuff if I wanted to, the tradeoff would be that I would die early from health complications or maybe develop diabetes which would restrict what I could eat anyway. So why not get out ahead of all these things and take the initiative to lose the weight before life forces that upon me? I'll try to participate here more, there's so much insight about post-op care, sustaining weight loss and activity, can't wait to be a "loser" with the rest of you!

Congrats and best wishes on a great recovery. Try not to get caught up worrying about what you can and can't eat in the future. I am eating everything I previously ate (minus the junk food usually) but I just eat smaller portions. I ate at Olive Garden and ordered from childs menu. I ate 3/4 of that bowl of Pasta and four bites of salad. I did not have bread sticks this time because the last time I went I had a half of one and couldn't hardly fit any pasta down lol. We went to a birthday party last night. I had an average slice of thin crust pizza. No birthday cake though. Today was my sisters baby shower. I had a small helping of rice and Beans, two bites of a tortilla and a couple oz of shredded beef. I did take three bites of the cake an hour later. So now that the special occasions are over I will be good this week and eat my normal diet but you can always eat your faves....just wont have room for much of it! It is wonderful.

I was sleeved on 11/9 and actually had to stay in an extra day in the hospital cuz the throwing up. I can only hold down less then half n ounce every 30 mins. Seriously I've gone into a deep depression and keep thinking this is a mistake. Everyone keeps telling me its going to get better but it is? Everyone I know has had the bypass or lapband and they are not going thru what Im experiencing at all. Hubby suggested I should post on here and see what you guys have to say cuz I actually wanted to die after surgery.

Seattle,

I'm am scheduled for my sleeve on Monday 11/15/10. Your post made me a feel a little less nervous about the whole process. I guess my biggest fear has been pain, yet many say the pain is manageable. I know the food part is going to be extremely hard as well, but getting out of the hospital is my first concern.

I bought the Myoplex chocolate Protein shakes. Hopefully they are tolerable, hence I didn't have a chance to taste them first.

Keep us updated on your progress. I will try to post my successes and failures as well! Good luck!

Kim

I was on clears Thursday, mainly ice chips on Thurs since even swallowing Water was very uncomfortable. Due to the anti-nausea patch I also had the world's driest mouth, it was disgusting! The hotel i stayed at overnight had a free continental Breakfast so I decided to have some heavily diluted apple cider, it was nice to have something that tasted nice after only tasting the disgusting liquid oxycodone the day before. I also grabbed a few skim milks, caffeine-free tea bags and light yogurts to bring home for the next week :P Today I just had my first Protein Drink, a scoop of Optimum Nutrition Double Rich chocolate in 8 oz of skim milk, it's relatively tasty so I'm happy with it!

I was sleeved on 11/9 and actually had to stay in an extra day in the hospital cuz the throwing up. I can only hold down less then half n ounce every 30 mins. Seriously I've gone into a deep depression and keep thinking this is a mistake. Everyone keeps telling me its going to get better but it is? Everyone I know has had the bypass or lapband and they are not going thru what Im experiencing at all. Hubby suggested I should post on here and see what you guys have to say cuz I actually wanted to die after surgery.

Miss Leslieh, Seriously now, how many people that have gotten the sleeve felt the same rotten way they did just after surgery for the rest of their lives!? None of them girl! You won't either. You just had some major surgery to your tummy, and it needs you to be very nice to it. That means not getting all upset and projecting the most horrid things into your future forever. Relax as much as you can. Don't forget to enjoy something once in a while... maybe the nice nurse, or getting in a little more Water than the last time you drank, or the new jammies some one got you for your surgery... before you know it you will be feeling much better and happy about making such a great big and healthy change for your future. I know things must feel just horrible right now... but don't be your own worst enemy sweetie. I would bet that about 99% of the folks on this site that have had the surgery would "do it again in a heartbeat". Im sure you will be saying the same thing soon too.

Miss Leslieh, Seriously now, how many people that have gotten the sleeve felt the same rotten way they did just after surgery for the rest of their lives!? None of them girl! You won't either. You just had some major surgery to your tummy, and it needs you to be very nice to it. That means not getting all upset and projecting the most horrid things into your future forever. Relax as much as you can. Don't forget to enjoy something once in a while... maybe the nice nurse, or getting in a little more Water than the last time you drank, or the new jammies some one got you for your surgery... before you know it you will be feeling much better and happy about making such a great big and healthy change for your future. I know things must feel just horrible right now... but don't be your own worst enemy sweetie. I would bet that about 99% of the folks on this site that have had the surgery would "do it again in a heartbeat". Im sure you will be saying the same thing soon too.

Thank u so much for the lil insight I do feel a lil better now and I know crying and getting upset affects the healing and my hubby who is my biggest supporter is saying the same thing I'm just beating myself up and its gonna make healing longer. I just want to get past the half ounce every 30 mins, to me I feel like thats not enough even when the Dr told me I should be having an ounce every 15 mins. But when I was doing the ounce man it would come right back up and that is so painful right after surgery. Thanks again I think Im gonna be a lifer on this site now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad! I thought I got a little personal with you, but I just felt it. Hang in there! I am getting surgery in January and I'm sure I will need the pep talk then myself.

"Thank u so much for the lil insight I do feel a lil better now and I know crying and getting upset affects the healing and my hubby who is my biggest supporter is saying the same thing I'm just beating myself up and its gonna make healing longer. I just want to get past the half ounce every 30 mins, to me I feel like thats not enough even when the Dr told me I should be having an ounce every 15 mins. But when I was doing the ounce man it would come right back up and that is so painful right after surgery. Thanks again I think Im gonna be a lifer on this site now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hey Hon,

It's only been a few days. It will get better. Everyone reacts differently. Keep your chin up and focus on how gorgeous you are going to be. Soon you'll be thumbing your nose at your fat clothes and eyeballing all the new possibilities. I was sleeved Sept. 1 and I feel fantastic. So will you I promise!...Carole

"Thank u so much for the lil insight I do feel a lil better now and I know crying and getting upset affects the healing and my hubby who is my biggest supporter is saying the same thing I'm just beating myself up and its gonna make healing longer. I just want to get past the half ounce every 30 mins, to me I feel like thats not enough even when the Dr told me I should be having an ounce every 15 mins. But when I was doing the ounce man it would come right back up and that is so painful right after surgery. Thanks again I think Im gonna be a lifer on this site now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Hey Hon,

It's only been a few days. It will get better. Everyone reacts differently. Keep your chin up and focus on how gorgeous you are going to be. Soon you'll be thumbing your nose at your fat clothes and eyeballing all the new possibilities. I was sleeved Sept. 1 and I feel fantastic. So will you I promise!...Carole

Ya everyone keeps telling me that nd actually Im not using my medicine cups no more, to me that was a mind game and my mind is my worst enemy right now. I've graduated to an ounce today and actually started Jello. The constant body temp changing is also driving me nuts. One second Im hot and then the next time shivering cold. But friends have told me that my body saying ur full, but is it? I thought I reaserched this thru and thru and appparently I didnt do enough. But thx everyone for your insight it is making the transition better for me

LESLIEH

i have not been sleeved yet actually i don't know if i ever will be due to financailly issue but that's another story. i believe you will get better. i can't say i know how you feel again i am not sleeved but from reading the many postings from this site there are people who felt like you and after a week or so they felt much better. it's only been a few days for you so you are bound to feel a littel out of sort but look at the long run you made the right decision i wish i could be in your place becasue i would take all that you are feeling right now in a heart beat just knowing that in few short weeks not only will i feel better but i would be losing weight as well. you will be fine don't push yourself too much and if you want to rest then rest. you will feel better in no time.

thickinphilly