Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

now wondering about lap band

I have my consultation on Thursday with the surgeon. I went into all of this with the absolute conviction that the lap band is for me, but after having gone to the required class last week, I'm waivering on that conviction. The doctor who spoke said that the average weight loss with the lap band is only 50% of the excess weight and that they don't recommend it for anyone with a BMI 50 or above. I'm right at 50, actually 49.9. While I knew that before, I don't know what to do now. I don't want to have my anatomy changed that dramatically, nor do I want the malabsorption and dumping syndrome problems.

On the other hand, if I'm going to do something drastic, like having surgery to help me lose weight, why not do it all the way. They said that the average weight loss with gastric bypass is 78% of the excess weight. I don't want to do anything that's only going to get me halfway to my goal. I don't know what to do????????

Hi MsKnow -

Go to the extraordinary bandsters site in Yahoo groups - all of those people started at 50 BMI or higher, and the group has 668 members.

The bypass patients may have a higher percentage of weight lost, at least initially, but they don't tell you about the regain stats. I don't know them myself - I can only tell you that my sister had the RNY, lost from about 350 to 160, and now, four years later, has regained almost ALL of her weight. Once the caloric malabsorption portion of the surgery compensates for itself (about 2 years out), people who have not changed their eating habits permanently tend to regain the weight, and they don't have too much to help them, except returning to their previous ways of dieting/bingeing/dieting/bingeing/dieting....

Bandsters who maintain the proper level of restriction do not regain their weight unless they change what they did to lose weight.

All of the current studies that I am aware of have bandster loss greater than or equal to RNY loss by 2-3 years out.

I know of many people on many boards who have reached their goals with the band. There is no reason why anyone could not reach their goal if that is really what they want. However, many people are not willing to reduce their intake even more, or raise their activity level anymore. We all fall into what is comfortable for us, and whatever weight that gets us to is where we'll stay unless we change something. But we need to bear in mind that whatever we change must be PERMANENT, or as soon as we revert to previous ways, that weight will come back.

Only you can make the decision. I started at 48 BMI, and am now at 34 BMI. In 15 months I have lost 55% of my excess weight, if my goal is 135 at 5'6". A more reasonable goal for me is probably closer to 160 - if I set that as my goal, I have lost 65% of my weight in 15 months.

Regardless, I am no where near "done"!

Best of luck with your decision.

I know people personally who have lost over 100 pounds with the Lap Band. I also know someone who just recently had Gastric Bypass and although I haven't seen him since his surgery I have heard from his friends that he now has an "odor" even thoough he is an immaculate man. They couldn't even be near him for a conversation. I really don't know why this happens and if anyone here does I wish they would explain it to me. Now, I'm sure this doesn't happen to everyone but I think I'd die if that was one of the side effects and it happpened to me. I never even considered GB surgery. I'm almost 8 months out and have lost 48 pounds. I'm behind most banders and it's because I really don't watch what I eat like I should. I'm thrilled with my decision and I'm sure that one day I will get to my goal weight.

i started with a bmi of 51.9 and 1 am currently at 39.6 in 8 months. statistically that is 50% of my excess weight ( - 85 pounds of 150 to lose) i would check out the extraordinary bandsters i started there!

i have seen alot of bandsters that started at 350- 450 pounds and they are WELL on their way and i consider them successful bandsters!

here are some links of those who kept a journal:

http://www.geocities.com/robinh26/lapband.html -150 lbs

www.kimswlsjourney.com -100 lbs in 5 months

http://www.fisherchristine.addr.com/band.html -122

michelle

To get to the point where you go in and want surgery is the big step. Then you read up on everything and have it set in your mind that the band or the RNY is for me.. I just don't think the BMI has anything to do with what type surgery you should have. You have to know yourself.

I have friends that did the RNY and are fine and I have friends that are not. They are thin but always in and out of the hospital with something wrong.

I got the band. I lost weight right from the get go then after my 2nd fill it like stopped for 3 months. I was very upset and thought why did I not do the RNY? I guess what I'm working on saying is if you are wanting that weight gone now do the RNY, take your changes if you want to go slow do the lapband. I have read that people lose 95% not 50% of there weight over a 2 year time. I was depressed for about 3 months then got my 3rd fill and the weight started dropping off again and I have went from a size 26 pants to a size 20. So for me that is awesome.. Slow but awesome!

I know my best friend did the RNY and looks great. down from 320lbs to a size 5 in a year. But she has had 6 surgerys because of problems. The lap band works different and you can read people that lose all there weight in a year but most doctors will tell you it is a 2 year program.

It is a tool. You still have to get off your ass and work out or walk to get the weight off. It is no magic pill.

Do I think you should get the lap band??? YES..but That is up to you..

I love the fact that I can now sit down fix a plate full of food take 3 to 6 bites of everything and be done, not like the old days where I'd eat my plate then pick off the kids plates then go for more when I cleaned up. The band will stop you or you will puke!

Donali made a good point if you get the band Bandsters who maintain the proper level of restriction do not regain their weight. A good fill is very importan.

If you are still not sure Ask questions. Then ask some more.

You might want to consider another surgeon, as the one you have spoken to is using OLD information. Here's the abstract of a six-month-old study on the subject (I added the underlining):

Surg Endosc. 2003 Oct;17(10):1541-5. Epub 2003 Aug 15. Related Articles, Links

_

Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for massive superobesity ( > 60 body mass index kg/m2).

Fielding GA.

Surgery for massive super obesity is a formidable challenge. No existing open or laparoscopic procedure reduces BMI below 30 from a starting point above 55. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding has been used to treat 76 massive super obese patients with a BMI > 60 kgs/m2. Median weight was 193 kgs +/-34.7 kgs (154-335 kgs). Five patients had a BMI > 100 kgs/m2. There was neither mortality nor pulmonary emboli. hospital stay was 3 days (1-6 days). Excess weight loss was 46.69 +/-10.5 at 1 year; 59.14 +/- 11.7% at 3 years and 61 +/- 15.1% at 5 years. At 2 years, 84% of the patients had greater than 50% excess weight loss and this was maintained at 3, 4, and 5 years. BMI fell from 69 +/- 6.2 to 49 +/- 7.73 at 1 year to 37 +/- 4.45 at 3 years and this was maintained at 4 and 5 years. BMI in 13 patients with > 5 year follow up was 35.09 +/- 53 kgs/m2 (27-44). Weight loss with laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in this group of massive super obese patients has been similar to all other surgical techniques with reduction of BMI from 69 to 33 kgs/m2 at 3 years. The relative safety of the Lapband avoids bowel surgery in these very big patients, suggesting that laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding is a valid surgical approach to these difficult patients.

PMID: 12915973 [PubMed - in process]

Sue

All I can speak on is I know One guy that has lost 25% of his excess weight with only having one fill so far. he came in at 450 lbs and is now at 260lbs after his 2nd fill.

However, He took his diet to a new level. When he wants to eat, Its all about a protien shake. He max's his Water everyday and walks 6 miles a day. His actual "food"" intake is 3 "shot glasses of food. (3 oz's.) thatsa it.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I just needed to be reminded why I'm doing the lap band. I still think it's the best for me, after countless hours of research on it and the other bariatric surgeries. The doctor who did the lecture last week wasn't my actual doctor. He is one of two in that hospital who does that surgery. He said that they both will honor the wishes of their patients, as far as which surgery he/she wants, so I have the final choice. I've read at least 50 reviews on the doctor I've chosen and the hospital it will be done at and I've heard nothing but the highest accolades about both. I'm actually really excited. I haven't been anywhere near a normal weight since I was about 9 years old and I don't even know what that would be like. Thanks again for all the support!!

Oh, I forgot, there was something about having to be on a liquid Protein diet for two weeks before surgery to shrink the liver (it's being done laproscopically). Did anyone else have to do that and were you able to stick with that? I think that will kill me. My mother put me on a liquid diet at 11 years old and I remember throwing up everytime I even smelled the stuff!

Mw wife didnt have to be on a Protien diet to shrink the liver. and I havent been told to do this either.

How ever that doest mean its not a good idea.

I think it's like "the cranberry juice for urinary tract infections recommendation." My mom's doctor's office--in a senior community--always tells the patients to get cranberry capsules or to drink cranberry juice for a uti. Deal is, if you check the research, cranberry MAY provide a slight benefit in preventing uti's if you use it for a year or so, and BTW, that has never been studied in in elderly population. But, research proves that it is of no value in treating a uti. However, they've said it so often, they believe it.

Last I checked, about two years ago, two surgeons from New Zealand were doing a study on whether their two-weeks on liquids diet really made a difference, or if it was just a new urban legend. I wrote to one of the doctors, and his response was (a rather arrogant IMHO) comment that people who couldn't do two weeks on a diet weren't ready for banding. But, I haven't seen any results published on his study.

Many surgeons want the two week liquid diet, but I think it's based on not much more than a rumor. I asked my surgeon, and he said that when the proof was in, he'd consider it. Turned out, my liver was positioned in such a way that it wouldn't have been an issue in my case.

I didn't mean that your surgeon doesn't know what he's doing. But one thing that is crucial to successful banding is a supportive doctor. If he is convinced, before the fact, that you won't be successful, it may be that HE hasn't had success with larger patients, and--no matter how wonderful he is with other patients--he might not be your best choice. Check those other websites and see if you encounter rave reviews about him from other extraordinary bandsters. THEY would be valuable resources.

Good luck,

Sue

Originally posted by GeezerSue

I think it's like "the cranberry juice for urinary tract infections recommendation." My mom's doctor's office--in a senior community--always tells the patients to get cranberry capsules or to drink cranberry juice for a uti. Deal is, if you check the research, cranberry MAY provide a slight benefit in preventing uti's if you use it for a year or so, and BTW, that has never been studied in in elderly population. But, research proves that it is of no value in treating a uti. However, they've said it so often, they believe it.

Last I checked, about two years ago, two surgeons from New Zealand were doing a study on whether their two-weeks on liquids diet really made a difference, or if it was just a new urban legend. I wrote to one of the doctors, and his response was (a rather arrogant IMHO) comment that people who couldn't do two weeks on a diet weren't ready for banding. But, I haven't seen any results published on his study.

Many surgeons want the two week liquid diet, but I think it's based on not much more than a rumor. I asked my surgeon, and he said that when the proof was in, he'd consider it. Turned out, my liver was positioned in such a way that it wouldn't have been an issue in my case.

I didn't mean that your surgeon doesn't know what he's doing. But one thing that is crucial to successful banding is a supportive doctor. If he is convinced, before the fact, that you won't be successful, it may be that HE hasn't had success with larger patients, and--no matter how wonderful he is with other patients--he might not be your best choice. Check those other websites and see if you encounter rave reviews about him from other extraordinary bandsters. THEY would be valuable resources.

Good luck,

Sue

Good Post ! ;)