Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Look at all the people who responded to this were all alive....

I had my surgery last Tues and was nervous but as most the doctors we all had zero deaths if anything its because of complications from something else. my surgeon has done 1200 and has no leaks let alone deaths.

thats why your jumping thru hoops seeing all these other doctors to see if your a good canidate for " Surgery" hoping you are.

As for worring about seeing your children i thought the same but i also thought i was dying a slow death being morbit obease also.

When your done and awake say a pray thanking god for a new chance at a healthier life, its a pain but stick with what the doctor wants you to do in regards to your beginning diet for next few months very important for your stomach to heal.

good luck and god bless

Joe

I highly doubt that stat is based on VSG alone, and it's probably not directed to the actual sleeve. Anethesia, and general surgical complications are more of a concern for morbidly obese and super morbidly obese patients because of co-morbidities, and other health conditions that contribute to increased risks of general surgery.

The risk of a leak is pretty standard at 1%, and if it's any higher for your surgeon then I'd find a new surgeon.

I almost died with my revision, but it was anesthesia complications and could have happened with another surgery not just because it was during a bariatric procedure.

As the others above already mentioned the risks of dying of any obesity related disease are much higher then dying of complications of anaesthesia or surgery, don't be afraid, the stress won't do you any good, goos luck!

I went looking around the internet for mortality rates for the VSG alone, and found one study that found NO deaths at all: http://etd.ohiolink.edu/send-pdf.cgi/Miller%20Kinsy.pdf?bgsu1230091360. I hope the .5% mortality rate you were quoted includes all bariatric surgery, and I certainly hope your facility does a large number of high-risk open procedures because honestly, I wouldn't go near a place with a rate like that for the VSG. My surgeon has been doing this for years and has had only one death.

I think it's also really important to look at your particular surgeon's stats. My surgeon has had a single death in 15 years of performing this particular surgery. Make sure you find a surgeon you trust in a facility you trust!

My Surgeon has performed over 400 WL surgeries with 2 deaths which were a result of heartattacks, and has had 1 leak. I am having my surgery this up coming Monday,and I am getting nervous... but with statistics like those, I'm certain, or at least hopeful everything should go fine. As long as you have a good surgeon, you'll be fine!

Hi All, I think those stats are right but the problem with it is that it doesn't give nearly enough information. What are the stats for those with BMI's over 50 vs those 35, what are the stats for those who have other high risk health issues vs those that have no co morbidities? Age? Compliance? This is major surgery and no surgery is 100%.

Ok, just to put some perspective into this --

The death rate for giving birth in the U.S. (in 2007) was 8.7 percent.

The morbidity rate associated with tonsillectomy is 2% to 4%

The morbidity rate for a laparoscopic gallbladder surgery is 1.9%

The point is, I could go on and on about the chances of dying in surgery (or from complications) -- but the fact remains that VSG morbidity rates is .5% -- that's TINY compared to giving birth, having your tonsils out or having gallbladder surgery (one of the most common surgeries in the U.S.).

I know that having an elective surgery for obesity is scary. I think we can all admit that we were all a little bit scared. But please don't focus on one thing and make that the reason why you might not consider having a surgery that could ultimately save your life.

As for myself, I KNEW that if I didn't do this FOR ME, that I would die - it was only a matter of time -- I didn't want to not see my children get married or leave my wonderful husband alone. I also wanted a new lease on life - I had not been living my life - I had given up and had given up everything that I found enjoyable about life, except for food. What a waste! So I gave myself the very best present I could give myself - a way to take control of my obesity and live a normal life.

I really really hope you reconsider this -- please feel free to message me - I know how scary it is to consider the surgery - it took me a year to get up the guts to even see a doctor. But I if I had the chance to do it again, I would run to the doctor and beg to be operated on immediately.

Take care, I hope this helps. Julie

These are ALL excellent points, Julie. You took the words right outta my mouth.

By the way, I just went out to your VBLOG and watched every episode. I LOVE IT!!!! It is fantastic, thank you so much for sharing your experiences, you have NO IDEA how much you are helping me and how calming it is.

But anyway... back to the question at hand, about one's chance of dying as a result of VGS. I totally agree about looking at how high the BMIs of those folks were, as well as their other co-morbidities. But, overall, if you look at it purely from a "gambler's" point of view, which is all about ODDS...

-- The chance that a Major League Baseball game will be a no-hitter is 1 in 775... which means, that happens even more often than somebody dies of VGS surgery (which has 1 in 1000 odds, I believe). Relax your mind!

The point is, I could go on and on about the chances of dying in surgery (or from complications) -- but the fact remains that VSG morbidity rates is .5% -- that's TINY compared to giving birth, having your tonsils out or having gallbladder surgery (one of the most common surgeries in the U.S.).

Well I have had 2 of the 3 suggested and I never even had the idea of death cross my mind for either. Kind of puts me at ease for the surgery. Thanks Julia

Lily

I know that having an elective surgery for obesity is scary. I think we can all admit that we were all a little bit scared. But please don't focus on one thing and make that the reason why you might not consider having a surgery that could ultimately save your life.

As for myself, I KNEW that if I didn't do this FOR ME, that I would die - it was only a matter of time -- I didn't want to not see my children get married or leave my wonderful husband alone. I also wanted a new lease on life - I had not been living my life - I had given up and had given up everything that I found enjoyable about life, except for food. What a waste! So I gave myself the very best present I could give myself - a way to take control of my obesity and live a normal life.

I really really hope you reconsider this -- please feel free to message me - I know how scary it is to consider the surgery - it took me a year to get up the guts to even see a doctor. But I if I had the chance to do it again, I would run to the doctor and beg to be operated on immediately.

I find myself to ow be the one i the pre-op position, constantly debating and struggling internally with myself if this is something I should do (or not do). Given the 3 specific percentages quoted here I have done all 3 and survived...so I should be good for this too, or have I pressed my luck enough and if I choose to do this my number will be up?!?

Don't worry I'm only 14 and I had the sleeve done on the 21st of last month I love it I'm 3 weeks out and down 16 pounds ask your surgeon how many deaths they have had, mine never had one just be sure to bring that question up when you see your surgeon next Good Luck I hope you love your sleeve as much as I do

Excellent post. You really put things into perspective. From everything I've read this procedure is a lot less risky than many others, and I don't mean weight loss surgeries but all surgeries.

People have a tough time seeing the odds of dying from obesity because it's something they've lived with for a long time. That doesn't meant that it isn't there or isn't significant. It's very important to understand the risks you are taking at this very moment and weigh them against the risks of having WLS.

Wow! This thread has really helped. Thanks!