Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My appointment today w/ the plication Dr.

genepha
Sign in to follow this  

After 4 long weeks of waiting, I am finally almost at the appt to see the plication dr! I found a dr here in Cali that has started doing them.

As most of u know I have a band that may need to come out and in all honesty, I'm done with the whole lapband experience. I loved my band for a long time but I'm ready to have something that doesn't require the fills and unfills. I will post after my appt to let everyone know how the dr. and the experience were.

genepha

Looking forward to what you find out. I know more people are going that route. I'm interested in seeing loss-rate and complication ratios when compared to the Sleeve and RYN.

I have a lot of people asking me about my weight loss and surgery - it would be nice to tell them of other options that they can investigate.

Best of luck!

genepha

I'm glad you found a doc there in CA. I know what you mean about loving your band, but being ready to have it gone, I'm so with you there! Good luck!

This is a repost from the Band to Sleeve board but it's an update from my appt. with the plciation dr.

Hi all~

I was banded in Dec, 2001. My band either has to come out or be repositioned. I have had probably

40+ fills/unfills over the 9 years since being banded. Since I had 2 complete unfills while pregnant, I haven't

been able to get adjusted properly. I've been having reflux and esophagus issues since about January.

My doctors here in Los Angeles think the band either needs to come out or I need to have a new one placed.

In all honesty, I am pretty much done with the band and fills/unfills, etc. I am unable to have a bypass

although I probably wouldn't get one if that was my only option. I was considering the sleeve but my

band dr. and another dr. I consulted with both have pretty strong reservations about the sleeve. They

will do the sleeve if it's what I want but it will be a fight with my insurance company and I'm not completely

sure that the sleeve is quite right for me.

After tons of research (again) I've decided to have the gastric plication. The dr. that will most likely do the procedure said that

I can have my band replaced as well as having the plication. I am nervous and excited as I didn't know this

was an option. A lot will depend on what he finds once he is actually performing the surgery but, as of now

I will most likely have a new band, repositioned and then the plication all in the same surgery. The reasoning

behind keeping the band along with the plication is in case there is a problem with the plication, or I have

difficulty with it, I can have my stomach unplicated and still keep the band or if my weightloss is stalling with

the plication, it's possible to have a fill to make the plicated stomach smaller.

I will keep everyone updated on my progress and if I truly can have a new band along with the plication.

Thanks for listening!

genepha

Interesting ... I didn't know they did the two procedures together. Won't that cause A LOT of restriction (and stress on the banded portion) if both are in place at the same time?

Hmm I think because the band will be left empty it should be fine. I am currently banded but my band is completely empty and I can (unfortunately) eat just like before I had surgery. :(

I like the idea of having the band as a 'back-up' system, just in case I encounter problems with the plication.I was fairly successful with my band for about 7 years but always experienced lots of problems getting fills. I still don't have a surgery date but hopefully I'll know more next week.

I discussed with my doc keeping my band also. When we discussed it, I said I'd just like to get rid of it because although it did work for me at one time, it hadn't worked in several years, and only caused problems the past several years. But sometimes I think that hell, I paid so much for the thing, I should keep it! I doubt I will, but I will be thinking the next few weeks.

I recently performed a simultaneous plication and band reposition (for dilated pouch) and I think this is a reasonable option. We will leave the band deflated (ie little to no restriction) but the band and port are there as a backup if needed. I already have a GPS (plication) patient who's lost 70 pounds in the first few months (and cured diabetes and high blood pressure) and another who's lost 50lbs in the first couple of months. I have been impressed with GPS weight loss when patients are avoiding high calorie liquids or mushy foods and burning calories such as walking, etc. My GPS patients like not having any foreign body, not requiring a port or adjustments and they like the stomach fullness that they feel. I'm also getting more calls from surgeons who want me to teach them how to do GPS. We will be publishing our results with the GPS which will help insurance coverage over time. Insurance companies like to see that data. In the mean time we try to keep the price of GPS as low as possible so that it is available to help more people.

Brad Watkins MD

I recently performed a simultaneous plication and band reposition (for dilated pouch) and I think this is a reasonable option. We will leave the band deflated (ie little to no restriction) but the band and port are there as a backup if needed. I already have a GPS (plication) patient who's lost 70 pounds in the first few months (and cured diabetes and high blood pressure) and another who's lost 50lbs in the first couple of months. I have been impressed with GPS weight loss when patients are avoiding high calorie liquids or mushy foods and burning calories such as walking, etc. My GPS patients like not having any foreign body, not requiring a port or adjustments and they like the stomach fullness that they feel. I'm also getting more calls from surgeons who want me to teach them how to do GPS. We will be publishing our results with the GPS which will help insurance coverage over time. Insurance companies like to see that data. In the mean time we try to keep the price of GPS as low as possible so that it is available to help more people.

Brad Watkins MD

Dr. Watkins,

Thank you so much for your post and the very valuable information. I am relieved to know that I won't

be the first person in the world to have the band and plication done at the same time! As I stated previously,

a lot will depend on what my dr. finds once he's actually performing the surgery, but I am so excited about

the plication and feel that it is the best option for me. After doing countless hours of research and reading

what I could find about the plication, I feel most comfortable with this option. Of course, insurance isn't

an option yet but I'm hoping with data from those of us that will have (or have had) the procedure, that

more people will benefit from this surgery. My dr. has stated that he wants to follow me closely as I will

be his first band/plication patient. I appreciate all the information and advice that you have provided.

Thanks!

genepha

Dr. Watkins,

Thank you so much for your post and the very valuable information. I am relieved to know that I won't

be the first person in the world to have the band and plication done at the same time! As I stated previously,

a lot will depend on what my dr. finds once he's actually performing the surgery, but I am so excited about

the plication and feel that it is the best option for me. After doing countless hours of research and reading

what I could find about the plication, I feel most comfortable with this option. Of course, insurance isn't

an option yet but I'm hoping with data from those of us that will have (or have had) the procedure, that

more people will benefit from this surgery. My dr. has stated that he wants to follow me closely as I will

be his first band/plication patient. I appreciate all the information and advice that you have provided.

Thanks!

genepha

We also performed a GPS (plication) today on a patient with previous band erosion and it went very well. As time goes on we will continue to gain experience plicating the stomach after many previous scenarios. I continue to be impressed by the GPS as a weight loss tool.

Brad Watkins MD