Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

whats my goal?????help

okay guys so my doctor and my nutritionist dont give goals for their patients because they feel that this will somehow lead to dissapointment and so on... but the only problem is that i need a goal or some kind of range because otherwise i dont know if i'm on the right track. i'm 5'4 and was 223. ive lost 23 pounds in five weeks can anybody tell me if i'm on track or what my goal should be.... thanks

23lbs in 5 weeks is fabulous, that's nearly 5lbs a week so you're doing great ! ! !

As for a goal, I had a number in mind when my surgeon and I set my goal weight, and I set little goals such as "need to lose 60lbs before my husband came home from his deployment", I lost 80 in those 4 months before his return. Then I wanted to set "size" goals, like be in a size 14 by Christmas, least to say I think I was in 10 by the time we were celebrating Christmas.

For me, goals kept me motivated, and gave me something to work towards. I'm extremely goal-oriented in all aspects of my life, and wanted my life post-op to follow suit.

Best wishes ! ! !

okay guys so my doctor and my nutritionist dont give goals for their patients because they feel that this will somehow lead to dissapointment and so on... but the only problem is that i need a goal or some kind of range because otherwise i dont know if i'm on the right track. i'm 5'4 and was 223. ive lost 23 pounds in five weeks can anybody tell me if i'm on track or what my goal should be.... thanks

First of all, you are definitely on the right track! The **average** weightloss for the sleeve is 15-20 pounds in the first month and 5-10 pounds each month following. Congratulations on your success so far!

I don't know if any of us can say specifically what your "goal" should be but I think we can help you think about the many things that you might want to set as goals. Tiffykins definitely gave you a good start.

Do you want to be a normal BMI?

Do you want to be a specific size?

My first goal was to weigh 175 because that was the weight I remember in my adult life being comfortable at and active. I hit that in August and just kept going. I reset my goal to be a normal BMI which was 157 for my height and am just under that now.

Set reasonable goals and always readjust them as you will probably meet and surpass them and continue to impress yourself :)

Good luck!

Hey,

goal is a very emotive place for me to be honest... I set mine by the BMI, I sometimes wonder if I will get there cos if feels soooo far away.

In between now and then, I tend to focus on smaller goals, for example my first mini goal was to wear my engament ring for longer than an hour... then it was exercise related eg, do more than 10 mins on the treadmill... you get the picture...

I read somewhere that your body will tell you when to stop losing... lets see!?

Sel, congrats on your weight loss so far, you are doing really well!! When it comes to goals you gotta do what is right for you! Good luck and let us know what you decide =]

Congrats on your weight loss so far!

I read somewhere (or perhaps a doctor told me, I don't really remember) that to figure out your "ideal" weight, it's 100 lbs. for the first 5 feet, and then 5 lbs for every inch after that. So at 5'10, I want to weight between 150-160, but it will depend on how I feel about myself as I get closer. I can't remember the last time I weighed that little so I don't know what I'll look like. If I get to 165 and love the way I look and feel, I'll stop then.

You also might want to just set small goals at a time, like you want to be X size or weight by X time, and then once you get there set another goal.

Good luck!!

I have no advice to add on this as I don't have my goal weight set either, but think that the ideas that have been provided are so helpful. I've just been thinking about an estimated "end goal", but definitely appreciate the idea of setting short terms goals as well - I'm going to get working on that!

Setting short term goals are super helpful. I'm already working on my third one! It feel incredible to complete them, and it makes you realize that they are attainable. The one I'm working on now (see my signature line) is one I've been waiting to get to for awhile now. I really can't believe I'm already here.

Good luck!!!

I set my goal at 135 because at 5'2" that is a normal BMI (24.7 I think). If I used the ideal weight formula given above, my goal would be 110. The idea of weighing 110 is a bit scary for me. I only weighed that little once and I was a teenager (who had dieted like crazy for 6 months). I don't think I could maintain such a low weight and I don't know if it would look good at my age (48). In my opinion, goal should be wherever you feel good and have minimal co-morbidities.

Try this link for a BMI calculator:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm

thanks guys i really appreciate everyones feedback it makes a lot of sense now to set short term goals. i was just feeling a bit "on my own". size 12 it is ..... let you guys know when i get there. :)

I never really set an actual goal weight when I first started out. My goal was not to wear plus sized clothes. when I got into regular sizes, my goal was a size 10. I remembered being a size 10 and I looked at pictures of me in a size 10 and I thought that was where I wanted to be.

When I got to a size 10, I just kept losing. I think I was at 140 then, so I decided I wanted to weigh 135. I seemed to naturally stop at 130 and a size 8

I had set my goal at 160 pounds for 5'5" - and even that seemed so small to me. I cannot really compute my self-image as a normal size person. Then I realized that 160 pounds is still over weight!!!

So, just for good measure, I set my goal weight as the highest "normal" weight for my size, which is 145 pounds and that's what I am going with. It still looks like a pipe dream, but who knows - this is a major step, so I felt the rather drastic goal may be the way to go!