Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

29 Years Old & Getting the Sleeve

I am in the Puget sound. NW Washington. I was going to have mine done in Seattle however I am a self pay and doing more research have found that I an very comfortable with the idea of going to Mexico for Dr. A. I hope to get scheduled this week or next.

I am 27 and had mine done oct 21st. I chose to tell just about everyone that would listen and have found great suport in doing this but it really is a very personal decision weather or not to tell. But we are all here for you either way you decide

So, if someone asks you head on - will you lie to them?

You will probably lose a significant amount of weight in a short amount of time and people will notice and most probably know something is up.

Now, I think it is a better option to get rid of those judgmental people in your life than trying to live with a lie this big :-(

It will most likely come out, or people will just be doubtful

Try to grow above being embarrassed about having it done and stand up proud because you take charge.You may be surprised how many people support you - I know I was

Hi,

I too went to Dr. Aceves. And he and his staff are nothing short of awesome. There have been many times I have questioned whether or not I actually had surgery because I haven't had any of the typical complaints people have after a sleeve. It has been awesome. I am 11 weeks post op and have lost 45 lbs post op and 40 preop for a total of 85 lbs since April. Now, I am a heavy weight, so I still have another 135 to go. But I figure I will be at goal by next summer, one year post op. It's not been easy, but it is not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.

I too was not comfortable telling everyone because I have been judged harshly by others for being overweight and had no desire to be judged even more for my decision to do something permanent about my yo-yo. To date, only a handful of people know. My father and son do not know that I have lost my weight through surgery because I was on a high Protein diet for 4 months preop. I am sure my son's wife suspects, but they don't know for sure. Too many people think it's the easy way out if they have never been in our shoes. And I CAN lose weight. I have gained and lost and regained 250 lbs over my adult life (was a normal weight prior to adulthood). I just cannot keep it off. Until now. And I have never been a junk food junkie. I did eat large portions and never felt full...always hungry. I am still on high prots, low carbs and will remain here until reach goal. After that, I believe I will go back to a balanced diet, just with my current portions. ;)

However, I started an RN refresher program 2 weeks ago. I am sad to report that my instructor "outed" me to the whole class on the first day within the first 10 mins. I couldn't believe it. I guess because her husband had a bypass she felt enabled to just blurt it out. She knew because I had asked for a preceptee arrangement at a local bariatric center. I figured if I had to do student nursing again, after being a nurse for 33 years, that I wanted it to be meaningful to me. But I never asked her to keep it confidential...just assumed she wouldn't say anything. Well, the bimbo barbie dolls in class felt it necessary to chew on that info during a break. :( How tacky. Turns out one of then had lost 100 lbs (70 on HCG and 30 on the divorce diet) but she it the REAL way, and didn't take the easy way out like I did...yatta yatta. Personally, I don't see where HCG is any healthier than surgery. The one bimbo says to the other "You don't look or act like someone who has had a weight problem..." Nice. I turned and walked away. Small minded and petty. Well, she's only early 30's and from my experience and the statistics, she WILL gain it back (at least she has a 96% chance of it) and likely with a bonus.

Bottom line: We here did the right thing. We have to do what we have to do. And if it takes something drastic to get healthy, then that's right for us. And if you don't want people to talk about it, you'd best get them to promise not to up front.

GG

Thank you for the reassurance. I was wondering if there are many people my age out there doing this procedure.

I am 40 but if I could have done the sleeve at 34 I would have been right on the train.. There is so much support here it is crazy. good luck and I will be looking forward to your new postings with all the weight you will be losing

So if someone asks me how I lost the weight I might lie. I guess it depends on who it is and how close I am to them. It's not that I am embarrassed to have the surgery. I would tell everyone if I thought they would be happy and support me. I am so happy to do this. I would do it today if I could. I just know so many of my friends and family are going to think it's the easy way out and I should just go to the gym and eat right. You guys understand how well that works.

Told my brother and sister in law last night. We hang out all the time so I kinda needed to tell them. It was ok. They tryed to talk me out of it. Brother so didn't approve. Sister in law was sweet ask alot of questions. I finely just said it wasn't up for debate. This is what I am doing and I thought you guys should know.

GeorgieGirl so sorry to hear your instructor outed you. That was so not her call. I would be very upset with her.

I have received mixed reviews from people about my surgery. I have decided not to really talk about it anymore. The people who are the most negative from my experience are those WITHOUT a weight problem. This is so NOT the easy way out. How is surgery easy? Good luck with your journey. We are always here for you!

Wow, all I can say is how fortunate all of you are to have learned about this surgery at your age. At 44, I feel like my life is just beginning. I spent the majority of my life obese and trying to be invisible. Now, I am loving life. Originally, I didn't want to share with people what I had done. But now, I tell everyone, especially those who are also struggling with weight issues. If someone is my friend and judges me negatively for having the surgery, then I figure they weren't much of a friend to begin with and I don't need their negativity in my new, wonderful positive way of life!

Well, first of all, IMHO it is the easiER way - because every other way that I have tried lead me right back to my starting point. I am not sure why we are all saying it is not an easier way. For me it definitely is an easier way, and if it wasn't I wouldn't have anyone cut most of my stomach out.

Maybe a few counter arguments for you:

What really is wrong with an easier way to reach a goal? If you have an easier way to clean your house, would you do it? If you had an easier way to earn more money, would you do it? If I had an easier way to happiness, would I take it? OF COURSE and anyone who pretends they wouldn't is a liar. Don't tell me you rather work twice as hard in a job that pays half. What is that, the grandpa speech "I had to walk to school barefoot in the snow and up hill both ways pulling my little sister on a sled"?

This may be an EASIER way but it definitely is not an EASY way.

I don't know how long you have been trying to lose weight. I am trying since over 20 years. I have tried every single way I could find and nothing worked. So yes, now I tried this and I am hopeful that this will work. I have channeled so much effort, focus, concentration, time, energy into trying to lose weight - I could probably have a Masters in Quantum Physics by now if I had invested that in studying. I want to use my time to my benefit, the benefit of my friends and family, the benefit of my employer - win win for all!

And last but not least ask them why they care? If they say they don't ant you to get hurt, tell them how much it hurts every time you try to buy a nice dress but they don't carry your size. Tell them how much it hurt when they send you and your date to a booth and you have to squeeze in because it is so narrow. Tell them how much it hurts to hear someone chuckle or to hear some dumb teenager make a snide remark to their friends. Tell them how much it hurts when a skinny mini sales girl doesn't even look at you because she doesn't want to deal.

I got so much more but I am only a few days post-op and I need to sleep :-)

PS: Tell them to go f* themselves if they don't get it

Hi, I had surgery on October 25th. I told my husband the morning I was going to have the surgery. I knew he was already against it so I didn't see the need to tell him any sooner. He would just loose sleep and be stressed out. I told my best friend when I got home about a week after. So only two people know in my life. Everyone else thinks I'm recovering from gall bladder surgery.

I'm 40 and I wish I would have had the surgery sooner.

Best of luck to you.

I am 29 years old with a BMI of 34. I refuse to tell anyone other than my husband and mother about my decision to get the WLS. I don't want to be judged. I feel I judged myself enough ( ALWAYS IN THE NEGATIVE ) that I don't need to hear it from others. On the other hand this is a big deal and I need to share with someone. So I thank all of you for your posts and experience. It is appreciated.