Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Experts... Please Chime In!

I am a new newbie smile.gif I am hoping to have my surgery in December, so excited and still lots of little questions. Can you tell me about the day of surgery, what you experienced, did you have to have catheters, drain tubes etc. I have never had a surgery before other than childbirth, so that part is what freaks me out more that anything. I am having the laprascopic sleeve. Any other details you want to share would be great, pain levels etc.

I just had a revision to the sleeve in mid-August. I had my Lapband removed due to issues and knew I couldn't remove it without gaining weight again. It was much more involved than my out-patient Lapband surgery. I had my surgery around 12:00 noon, and I don't think I really woke up enough to even get up to go to the bathroom until 9:30 that night. I did not have a catheter or a drain. I had 5 incisions. My mouth was so dry I couldn't talk well. I did stay overnight. I had an IV and I did remember to ask for an abdominal binder to help when I tried to get up out of the bed. I used it for a while even when I got home. I actually tightened it too much and ended up with dots on my stomach for a bit, I guess from the elastic. It was quite an experience, but I am glad I did it. I haven't had reflux since then. I have been slow to lose weight, but I had already lost 100+pounds with my Lapband. I started with an app, logging everything I ate to help me keep track of Protein and I think it actually helped me eat too much. I have scrapped it as of yesterday. We will see what happens. Good luck! I just had to keep telling myself the surgery part/liquid diet stuff was temporary.

Thank you! You are too funny! There is just this one particular woman who is fixated on weight in my office and she has made very snarky comments to me in the past when I lost weight and then every second of every day she asks me what I have done to lose weight. I lost 93 pounds starting in 2008 and it took me about a year and a half to lose it. I kept it off for a year and a half and then gained 30 pounds back due to bad stress eating and inactivity. I then gained back 40 more pounds due to injuries and the medications they gave me for the medications. She would make comments like "Oh you have less cottage cheese on your as$ now." She is just very difficult to deal with :) I have to not allow her to get me because stress is no friend in the weight loss department and my job is stressful enough....I am a psychologist.

I suggest you talk to her square on, nice but firm, next time she brings up the subject, that you would rather not talk to her about your BODY... If she brings it up again, say "I believe I already told you, I don't want to talk to you about my body" then smile and change the subject. State your boundaries then redirect.

Well Im sure you already relize that every one's experence is a little different as far as mine goes it was going ok untill I was told I had to drink this purple stuff then go get an exray. They didn't happen to tell me I also had to drink this clear stuff (during the exray) which I didn't think it was possible but it tasted worst then the purple. The poor girl I went with threwup as soon as she was done. I waited till we got back to the recovery house. Now Im not sure if every one has to have this exray but because my surgery was In Mexico it's something you have to do before they release you. When I got back to the recovery house they took me up to my room to take out my drain tube which dind't realy hurt just felt werd. Just remember to take a deep breath in and then out when they pul it out. Unfortunaly they took out 2 of my 3 stiches at the site so I have quite a big scare ,as far as how I felt when I got home it felt as if someone had sliced me acrosed the chest put a bowling ball on my chest and closed me up, by the 3 rd day the weight on my chest was cut in half and was total gone by 2 wks. I am only in 4 wks. with my sleeve and have months to go till Im normal again but hope this helps.

Hey Josie, Just curious when you was there in mexico, I had my surgery on July 30th, and I was that person who couldn't keep the purple liquid down and was already vomiting the clear while he was taking the xray. Just curious. :-)

Sleeve was the way to go for me - 100 lbs and was essentially hassle free, whether you think you can or you think you can't - you're RIGHT!!

These surgeries are not the magic bullet and are doomed to fail - UNLESS you make the lifestyle changes necessary. If you are willing to change your eating and incorporate walking as little as a 1 mile each day you have more success than you can imagine. So IMAGINE, imagine a life without the looks and snickers from those pre-judging you Imagine a life where you fit in for once and don't need to be the first one to crack a fat joke because you know everyone is already thinking it - imagine the new you.

But, It cannot, will not happen unless you are willing to eat right, move your body a little bit and listen to the signs of fullness your body is giving you.

Good luck to all who begin this journey and remember, you have to work for it, this surgery will enable you to do so. Don't waste it :) !!

Edited by Thinkbruce

Never be discourage nor feel intimidated of what he may say your doing just find don't stay away so long we need people like you to keep us encouraged. Geesh I need people like you to keep me encouraged you are doing a great job so keep up the good work and don't leave me again I need yo hear what your eating everyday what excersice are you doing I need you to encourage me so with that you are awesome do what you know is best . Doctor aren't perfect some don't know what to say out there mouth so hold that thought and continue to do what you do best.

Your NUT is just giving you the average. That means some people lose more than 65%, some lose less. This certainly doesn't mean you will be average. It is completely possible to lose 100% of your excess weight. I did, and I was far from a "perfect patient". I do follow my doctor's rules about not drinking 30 minutes before or after meals. I do try to always eat Protein first, but I still eat junk food occasionally, I am just more mindful of watching what I eat if the scale moves pass my comfort zone of my ideal weight range

Susan

I am three days post op. I have lost 22 pounds since surgery. Is this normal?

If you are worried, ask your Dr. I gained 10 pounds from the IV, but everyone is different.

Love these numbers...makes me hopeful

One year ago had my sleeve. I weighed 340lbs. I now have weighed 190 plus or minus 2 lbs for almost 3 months. At 6 feet and 68 years old I am done and I guess that I lost more than the 65% you were told.

I still eat almost no carbs (once a week) and still stay high in my Proteins. I exercise 4 to 5 times a week (5 miles speed walking at a 4.2 mph pace). I also eat 6 to 7 times a day, mainly a yogurt (Danon Fit and Light Greek) and Humus with carrots.

That is it! Good luck.

I'm one year out and I've lost 89% of my excess weight. Only 11 more pounds to go to 100%. I surpassed the doctors goal for me 30 pounds ago. Everyone is different. If your compliant then it works !! And I'm no angel by any means, but like a lot of you's we started this journey for a reason and I would like to say I actually accomplished something I set out to do !!

hello im new to this site but I had my sleeve done on 1/28/2014 and that's about 10 months post op my starting weight 380 and on my surgery date I was 325 and my current weight is 212and im still trying to get to my goal of at least 180 .. I don't think you should worry so much about what the nut thinks your average weight will be just stick to your diet and follow your diet and im sure you will get to your goal , don't let anybody tell you were your gonna be in your weight ,you tell yourself were you want to be and then reach for it.. I was supposed to be aroung 250 according to my nut and dr but here I am and im still tryin to lose these extra pounds with the help of my exercise routine and eating my Protein :) good luck im sure you will achieve your goals

Hi there ' a good friend has had a gastric sleeve operation on Monday 3rd nov

he has been in terrible pain and was only prescribed soluble paracetamol and ibrufen liquid . plus lapranazol for stomach lining and Vitamin tablets to chew plus injections to help with blood clots .He has been unable to swollow much of paracetamol and cant get the ibrufen down at all , so no pain relief is going into system! i did call the ward and left a message regarding Fluid intake and pain relief , but no one returned my call quite an i am quite angry . how long roughly does it take for stomach to heal and pain is tolerable i know people differ but hospital never gave a rough guide , and what is also recommended in weeks one and two but consultants say slim fast shakes, home made smoothies Water tea an sugar free juice he has only had sips of paracetamol and water nothing else so very concerned right now many thanks Tina

Are you sure it's ibuprofen. That's a nsaid and is a no no with the sleeve. As to the pain. Everybody is different. I needed no pain medication after I left the hospital. It might be gas. Try a heating pad or gas x. If pain is that severe, your friend might need to go to emergency room. As to Fluid intake, just keep sipping. It's hard for a lot of us. I didn't get good with it for almost 6 weeks.

Susan