Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Experts... Please Chime In!

The only thing that keeps you from losing 100% of your excess weight is you. I lost 100% of my excess weight (88 pounds) in 7 months. At 10 months I'm down 100 pounds which means well over 100% loss. Don't worry about the stats. They don't mean a thing if you remain committed to YOUR goal.

Hi there ' a good friend has had a gastric sleeve operation on Monday 3rd nov

he has been in terrible pain and was only prescribed soluble paracetamol and ibrufen liquid . plus lapranazol for stomach lining and Vitamin tablets to chew plus injections to help with blood clots .He has been unable to swollow much of paracetamol and cant get the ibrufen down at all , so no pain relief is going into system! i did call the ward and left a message regarding Fluid intake and pain relief , but no one returned my call quite an i am quite angry . how long roughly does it take for stomach to heal and pain is tolerable i know people differ but hospital never gave a rough guide , and what is also recommended in weeks one and two but consultants say slim fast shakes, home made smoothies Water tea an sugar free juice he has only had sips of paracetamol and water nothing else so very concerned right now many thanks Tina

Have him talk to his surgeon. I had no pain postop and required no pain Meds. I don't thing he should be that miserable at this point.

Hi there ' a good friend has had a gastric sleeve operation on Monday 3rd nov

he has been in terrible pain and was only prescribed soluble paracetamol and ibrufen liquid . plus lapranazol for stomach lining and Vitamin tablets to chew plus injections to help with blood clots .He has been unable to swollow much of paracetamol and cant get the ibrufen down at all , so no pain relief is going into system! i did call the ward and left a message regarding Fluid intake and pain relief , but no one returned my call quite an i am quite angry . how long roughly does it take for stomach to heal and pain is tolerable i know people differ but hospital never gave a rough guide , and what is also recommended in weeks one and two but consultants say slim fast shakes, home made smoothies Water tea an sugar free juice he has only had sips of paracetamol and water nothing else so very concerned right now many thanks Tina

Tina, you are a good friend for caring... No aspirin type pain killers as stated above... I was given a liquid morphens, but didn't need to take it. I did have some pain, but just from the incisions... hard to sit up and such. There are lots of diets plans given by great bariatric surgeons on here if his Dr is no where to be found.. but really, all he needs for the first week is lots of water, one sip at a time. Dehydration can be a big problem. There are clear liquid Protein Drinks he can try to get down... they count as water too. Things get better in the first week, but we all have to take care, not do too much, but do walk walk walk even if its just to the mail box and back at first. No heavy lifting for 6 weeks (over 10 pounds) If he has that much pain, he needs to go to the emergency room... at least call his Doc, and if no answer, then get to emergency. Where are you located? What country? Did he get good help before surgery?

My surgeon said the average weight loss with a sleeve is 1 to 2 pounds per week.

I lost 103 pounds in 9 months which is 93% of my excess weight.

If I can do it, anybody can.

No tricks. I just followed my eating plan. A lot of Protein, low carbs and the elimination of all white carbs, bread, Pasta, rice, noodles, etc.

I just stuck with it and the weight came off.

I'm trying to lose pretty slowly...i WANT to lose in tiny amounts. So far I'm 4 days from surgery and I'm down 8 lbs. Looks like I'll be losing more than 10lbs a month lol.

I'm trying to lose pretty slowly...i WANT to lose in tiny amounts. So far I'm 4 days from surgery and I'm down 8 lbs. Looks like I'll be losing more than 10lbs a month lol.

The rate of weight loss does not stay the same.

Why do you want to lose slowly?

It is what it is.

You had weight loss surgery.!

<br /><br /><br />

Oh how I wish this were true for me, but it isn't. I track every single morsel that goes in my mouth, I keep my carbs lower than low, and my food choices pristine. Yet, I'm not losing weight. The party line of VSG is that on such low calories it is impossible not to lose weight. Well, here I am. I exercise 5 days a week, 30 minutes elliptical, full weights rotation. I eat 80+ grams Protein, 10-20 grams carbs, 60-90 ounces Water, every day. Not only have I stopped losing weight (a month without loss), but I have gained. I do not eat bread, potatoes, rice, grains, etc. I am supposed to be on 600 calories a day.

have you thought of staggering calories? Our bodies easily adapt and get comfortable when diet stays the same. The metabolism will slow down and it holds on to that weight. I am newly sleeved, but absolutely in tune with how my body works and there is such a thing as eating too few calories. If I were you, I would up calories with more Proteins and stagger them. I have lost 100 lbs before without help of surgery, staggering calories work.

Put on a few lbs of muscle the fat will burn itself off..

Put on a few lbs of muscle the fat will burn itself off..

How do you know you have gained muscle weight?

At this point you should not be gaining at all.

How do you know you have gained muscle weight?

At this point you should not be gaining at all.

I didnt put on weight I didnt even get the surgery yet, I was suggesting the OP to try and add some muscle with resistance training to his regimen. That will in theory spark his metabolism back up to burning some fat and he will burn more resting calories. Our bodies get used to our eating habits and work outs, which we need to change occasionally.

I didnt put on weight I didnt even get the surgery yet, I was suggesting the OP to try and add some muscle with resistance training to his regimen. That will in theory spark his metabolism back up to burning some fat and he will burn more resting calories. Our bodies get used to our eating habits and work outs, which we need to change occasionally.[/qu

Sorry .Did not get that part

@@Cathyjo

The only way you will put on muscle weight is through exercise and weight training. You will feel stronger, if either of those things is not on your itinerary than instead you will lose muscle, and once allowed to begin exercise it's your best option to combat that. Losing muscle makes you feel soooo weak. It will slow the scale because muscle weighs more than fat, but it also burns fat so it's more than worth the gain or stall on the scale

I can speak to this subject based on my experience. In October of 2013 i weighed 360+ pounds. My sleeve and hard work has brought me to 190 pounds which I have been at since July of 2014.I weight train 3 times a week and do an hour on my treadmill 5 times a week. I have gained a good deal of muscle mass but have gained no weight.

It is always your choice!

I lost 100 percent of my excess weight and my surgeon said I would most likely only lose 60%. You can defy the odds. Stick with your program. It will come off. I had no stalls at all not even at the dreaded three week mark. Steady weight loss.