Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Experts... Please Chime In!

Hi...iam 3weeks postop and in pureed food stage. I lost 7 kilo on 2week post op diet and now 6 kilo since the op. My surgeon estimated i lose about 30 kilo (60%). As i have lost 13kg already and feel really good. ..i feel confident of achieving this goal. I know the progress will slow but i am determined to do what it takes. ...obviously lol

Do you ever stop feeling the discomfort of even liquids going down and settling in belly?? 9 days out.

It depends on each person. According to my surgeon, i was the poster child for a perfect sleeve result. I was 356 now I am 189. I have lost about 91% of my excess weight and it has not even been 1 year yet. I figure the extra 10 lbs or 9% will be mostly the skin i am going to have removed.

I will be 4 months on May 5th and I am down 47lbs. So excited. Need to tone this body..anywhoo...my diet is not where it suppose. My Dr put on plant diet due to hemoglobin a1c been right at the cut off...meaning at risk for diabetes! Holy shakes I always been overweight but never any blood sugar problems. To make it short watch those sweets because they go down easier. Fruits and vegetables for me

@@slimkat Hello and to answer your question well it's all on the person ????if you keep with your diet it's in you to choose how much you lose!! I started out at 384 pounds and by my surgery date I was 320 and 1 year and 4 months out Im at 208 and I want to be at 175 so I still have some way to go but the goal me and my dr spoke about initially was for me to be at least 250 pounds and I went past that????thankfully I got rid of all my diabetic and high blood pressure meds????

Edited by claudi2103

That is correct that most people will not lose 100% of their excess weight. I am 13 months out and have lost almost exactly 65% of my excess weight. I of course want to lose 30 more lbs. It will be much harder to lose that 30 than it was to lose the 82 that I have lost. I do not think I will lose 100% of my excess weight and it is not a goal of mine right now. My goal is the 85% and I am giving myself the next year to get to that. I do get discouraged when I see some people are at their goal already. I have to accept that my metabolism and body make up is different. I exercise 5 days a week but at a year out I can eat anything and I have to use my will power to stick to my diet. Regardless of what the doctors say just don't get discouraged and try your best to do above and beyond what they say. Remember they are giving an average and some people who have this surgery do not follow through with the lifestyle change. Good Luck!

It has been a while since I have logged on... and I just had my 4th month post op visit with my doctor/nutritionist. I have lost 43 pounds in total and am so EXCITED! I feel great!!

Now, I am a little bit concerned because the NUT said that I am about 50%. He said most gastric sleeve patients lose 65% of their excess weight. So, that would mean, if I weighed 100 pounds over my IDEAL weight then I am expected to lose about 65 pounds and they consider that to be the norm. NOW, I want to lose the 100 pounds that I am over weight by -- but the NUT made me feel like that was not typical and went one to say that when one is heavy it takes more energy and therefore you lose more weight but once you have lost about 65% of the excess weight it is more difficult... So, is he trying to discourage me or, well, I don't know?

So, those of you who have had the surgery and are at the 1 year mark -- did you lose ALL your excess weight or was it the 65% of the EXCESS weight that my NUT was talking about?

I am a new newbie http://www.bariatricpal.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif I am hoping to have my surgery in December, so excited and still lots of little questions. Can you tell me about the day of surgery, what you experienced, did you have to have catheters, drain tubes etc. I have never had a surgery before other than childbirth, so that part is what freaks me out more that anything. I am having the laprascopic sleeve. Any other details you want to share would be great, pain levels etc.

I am by no means an "expert but can tell you from fresh experience, I just had mine done 3 days ago. I didn't wake up with any drains, my doc said he hasn't had to use drains in a couple years. I did have a catheter. Friday (surgery day) I don't even remember. Saturday was bad, Sunday was not much better. Monday was a turn around day. Kept everything down and am feeling less sore. I haven't needed to take any pain meds except once tonight though that was only for the incision where they excised the stomach. I cannot imagine how people don't stay In the hospital, my dr makes his patients stay 2 nights and he would have let me stay a 3rd night, but I was anxious to get home.n if you have any questions, feel free to message me. Laurie

That is correct that most people will not lose 100% of their excess weight. I am 13 months out and have lost almost exactly 65% of my excess weight. I of course want to lose 30 more lbs. It will be much harder to lose that 30 than it was to lose the 82 that I have lost. I do not think I will lose 100% of my excess weight and it is not a goal of mine right now. My goal is the 85% and I am giving myself the next year to get to that. I do get discouraged when I see some people are at their goal already. I have to accept that my metabolism and body make up is different. I exercise 5 days a week but at a year out I can eat anything and I have to use my will power to stick to my diet. Regardless of what the doctors say just don't get discouraged and try your best to do above and beyond what they say. Remember they are giving an average and some people who have this surgery do not follow through with the lifestyle change. Good Luck!

I'm 11 days post op and my question is why does losing stop at 65%? I mean right now i can't each much more than 1/4 cup of anything at a time so I would think i just keep losing like forever lol

Stephanie Salsera Perrott as your stomach heals and you get further out you will be able eat more. As you can eat more your weight loss will slow down.

I'm 11 days post op and my question is why does losing stop at 65%? I mean right now i can't each much more than 1/4 cup of anything at a time so I would think i just keep losing like forever lol

You are in the honeymoon. Later, you can eat more, you WANT to eat more, you get bored with limited food choices, old habits show their ugly head. You may get to goal, just keep up the good work. If not, sooner, than later you might... it took me 3 years. I have regained 18-22 pounds twice... getting it off the second time right now... at 12 pounds over goal and sill a success. You don't and can't know how it is to be 3-4 years out untill your there. You have done the right thing, just take it a day at a time, Protein first, don't drink with or right after meals.... cut the carbs at least some.... get some exercise and enjpy the ride. Don't give up, its for life.

I see where most people are on Clear Liquids the first week. My surgeon has me on clear liquids for two weeks. The third week its still Clear Liquids but I get to add an egg each day. I don't get to have soft foods till week 4. I am so weak I don't know how I am going to make it to week three. I am so fatigued. I am post op day 4. Luckily today I have been able to get in 90 grams of Protein.

I met with a nurse today (having surgery next week!). She said "average" for the first month is 5-10 lbs....BUT then she said most people she sees far exceed that the first month. So...it is JUST averages. Don't get discouraged. smile.gif

Sorry but that nurse is correct, Im one week out of surgery and I lost a total of 16 lbs. You can't eat at all the first week its just liquids only so you cant help to loose weight. --leslie

I think the normal weight loss is about 65% due to the surgery alone. Anything above and beyond that is going to be up to you. You will have to move and workout a lot. If you work with a trainer you may be better results. My surgeon office is now working with people after the first surgery year who want greater results and it is working for them...they are just having to work hard for it.<br />