Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein drink shots???

BlueOctoberGirl
Sign in to follow this  

Hello all,

I am 2 months from having my surgery and so confused on the Protein. I have seen those Protein Drink shots. Would they be good to help get the protein in? I have received some of the shake packets. I was shocked at how much powder is in one serving. I was wondering if there was anthing you all are using that I could just add to my Water. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Personally, I think the Protein shots are nasty. Like drinking really thick cough Syrup. But if you can stomach them, more power to you. I was able to get down Isopure ready-to-drink in the bottles, but I had to try several flavors to find a few I could handle. These are kind of like watered-down Kool-Aid, but have 40g of Protein per bottle. I bought the powdered Isopure but didn't like it and took it back.

If you live near a Vitamin Shoppe or GNC, they have Protein drinks in a cooler that you can buy just one of to try out. Plus you can return anything that you don't like. There are also lots of websites where you can buy samples of powders, some you can mix with Water. I've bought things from www.dietdirect.com, but they are many sites to shop from.

Thanks so much! I just ordered samples of Syntrax nectar. I guess we will se if they are anygood! lol

I will hit GNC for the ready made drinks! Thanks so much for your help!

Protien shots are made from collegan which is boiled cow hide- not a good source of protien.Go to the food section of this board and

look at all the places you can order samples. Chike orange is really good. so is PVL whey gourmet Peanut Butter and chocolate.

some of the nectar drinks are pretty sweet but you could always use more Water and make two out of one packet.

For me, the Syntax nectar lumped up like crazy and foamed and I just couldn't do it.

These got me through the first two weeks after surgery. They are small enough that I was able to dilute it with water/ice/crystal light lemonade and get it down. NOW I can't tolerate them, in fact I have some I want to give away at my next support group. But during that first week especially, they saved me...

https://www.homecarenutrition.com/HHL/nxcsc.nsf/ListProducts?openagent&ListMenuEntry=6E7F3EE5EE83D2F485257625004FB354&MenuEntry=6E7F3EE5EE83D2F485257625004FB354&SID=74BAECCFE5C0F6A3852577D7000D8C0F

Are you using a mini blender when making the Syntrax Nectar drinks? They should not come out lumpy that way. I've never had them be lumpy, but they are sweet. I uses less than it says to use and more Water and sipped on them over a longer time period.

Hello all,

I am 2 months from having my surgery and so confused on the Protein. I have seen those Protein drink shots. Would they be good to help get the protein in? I have received some of the shake packets. I was shocked at how much powder is in one serving. I was wondering if there was anthing you all are using that I could just add to my Water. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I personally liked the Blue Raspberry shots from GNC better than anything....I got off the protein supplements and started getting ALL my protein from real food ASAP...about two months out!! I hated all Protein Powder, soy, whey, egg white. I tried them all, like you, I started experimenting a few months pre-op and they all were gross!! Ugh!! I settled on the shots because it was about 3.5 oz and I could just take a few sips in the morning, a couple more about noon and then finish it off later in the day and there I was, 42 grams taken care of!!! From the start, I started my day off with 8 oz of skim milk and finished my day with another 8 oz of skim milk, so with the bullet from GNC, I had gotten all my protein in!! I am not going to say it's GREAT tasting, but it's not a big, huge smoothie...I just could NOT get one of those down. At Forest Park Medical Center in Dallas, I got a "goodie bag" the day I was discharged, and in it was a protein bullet from GNC, so that made me feel pretty good. I have never had hair issues - after the first week I started getting in 60 - 75 grams of protein per day! Good luck!!!

really like the chike!! my doc gave me samples and my nutritionist said i could mix it with Water or milk. and i love it! it mixes well, so its not all...clumpy. *gag* :puke: i have tried the chocolate and strawberry and like them both enough that i think i can tolerate them for meals for the next couple months lol.

Someone else I know takes the bullet and cuts them with Water and a koolaid packet, no sugar (not the sugar free with sugar substitute, but just regular koolaide pack,no sugar added.) I tasted it and it wasn't too bad. Personally I mix nectar cherry with crystal light lemonade or Vitamin water zero lemonade 20 oz for one scoop powder.

I can't imagine drinking the bullets straight up...YUK!!! I do the same thing someone else suggested, I add a crystal light packet to 24 0z Water and add a Protein shot to it. Not too bad, but still alot sweeter then I like.

I use unflavored whey powder and add fruit, milk and plain yogurt. Its like a thick-shake.

The bullets have a low quality of Protein that makes it hard to absorb the protein. They are made from collagen not whey.