Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Made it home, very surreal!!

I got home around 6:00pm. yesterday. I was able to rest ( hospital should have a sign posted...Thou shalt not let thy patients sleep)!!!

On Monday, we got the hospital at 5 am and got my iv and all the other goodies to get me ready. Surgery was at 7am. I remember sliding off the gerny onto the operating table. They put compression blow up thingies on my legs, tied my arms down and put the mask on me. Next think I remember is waking up in my hodpital room. ( slept through the whole revocery room episode)

The staff were very nice but some were clueless, they kept referring my as a RYN pt not a sleeve pt. We had a lot of pt education these last couple of days, lol. Dr said everything was very smooth, liver shrank down and they didn't have to jostle my insides around.

-Here is what I noticed:

-I have no appetite

-I made them order me a binder, I walked much better with one on, the JP drain didn't feel like it was being tugged on.

-Sipping is much easier than I thought. I have to force myself actually just to get 1 oz down.

-I had so much relief when they took the JP drain out.

-Walking helps with gas pain.

-use your spirometer ( breathing into thingy) it hurts at first but helps get all the gunk out of you chest

- expect nausea and dizziness, part of the process, I ended up dry heaving 4-5 times with family yelling help and nurses running, it was mass chaos for 15 min. The nurse put something in my iv and I was out for 3 hrs, very scary!!

- leak test sucks, but it was cool seeing the die go down into my little banana ( note--- it does not look like the cute pictures in the books, lol)

I'm home now and not having any pain but the nausea and upset stomach is not fun :( I gained 6lbs in Fluid so now I'm back up to 290 ( 4 more too lose)

Thank you for all you support and prayers!!!

I got home around 6:00pm. yesterday. I was able to rest ( hospital should have a sign posted...Thou shalt not let thy patients sleep)!!!

On Monday, we got the hospital at 5 am and got my iv and all the other goodies to get me ready. Surgery was at 7am. I remember sliding off the gerny onto the operating table. They put compression blow up thingies on my legs, tied my arms down and put the mask on me. Next think I remember is waking up in my hodpital room. ( slept through the whole revocery room episode)

The staff were very nice but some were clueless, they kept referring my as a RYN pt not a sleeve pt. We had a lot of pt education these last couple of days, lol. Dr said everything was very smooth, liver shrank down and they didn't have to jostle my insides around.

-Here is what I noticed:

-I have no appetite

-I made them order me a binder, I walked much better with one on, the JP drain didn't feel like it was being tugged on.

-Sipping is much easier than I thought. I have to force myself actually just to get 1 oz down.

-use your spirometer ( breathing into thingy) it hurts at first but helps get all the gunk out of you chest

- expect nausea and dizziness, part of the process, I ended up dry heaving 4-5 times with family yelling help and nurses running, it was mass chaos for 15 min. The nurse put something in my iv and I was out for 3 hrs, very scary!!

- leak test sucks, but it was cool seeing the die go down into my little banana ( note--- it does not look like the cute pictures in the books, lol)

I'm home now and not having any pain but the nausea and upset stomach is not fun :( I gained 6lbs in Fluid so now I'm back up to 290 ( 4 more too lose)

Glad to see your home and everything is well, my surg is mon and im having such anxiety and cant sleep, did u feel like me pre op. everyone seems so excited about their surg and im just nervouse...glad your doing well....~vicki

Welcome home! Glad everything went well!

I tried to follow the one ounce every 15 minute rule and it made me crazy! I totally figured out that if I just sip like I naturally would (with resting in between) that I can get all my fluids in. It did take until about 4 days post-op for that to happen though. I figured out that 3 sips of Fluid is about an ounce. Then I wait and when it seems like some time has passed, I do 3 more sips. Alternate between protien drinks and Water. I found out that Jello felt weird going down. And pre-surgery I loved crystal lite and post-surgery I haven't touched the stuff. lol. (the leak test Fluid was compared to the taste of crystal lite...maybe there is a correlation?)

Anyway, I'm jealous they took your drain out before you went home...lucky girl! I just got mine pulled yesterday and I was literally counting down the seconds till it was gone! Hope you settle into a nice routine, keep getting in the fluids!!!

Sandy,

Glad to hear that you are home and recovering nicely. Remember to just take it a day at a time. You'll be amazed at how better you will feel each day.

Yahoo to one of our newest LOSERS!!!!!

- Mini

Congrats Sandy on your new banana!!! You pulled through like a champ, in which I know all of us will. We are all some tough ladies and gents - nothing will hold us down! Please keep us updated... the days go by fast and soon you will start to forget that you even had surgery. I only remember when I forget to eat and my lil tummy starts acting up. Then I try to feed it but after a few bites it's had enough... lol :) It's surely doing its job!

vicki, your up to bat in only a few days. I know I personally had many mixed emotions before my surgery. It's no small deal, you are making a huge step to a new life. You're not feeling anything weird or out of ordinary. But rest assured, you will soon be on this side of the fence - and the grass truly is MUCH greener over here. :D

Yay I'm so happy for you! I'm excited to follow your journey. May God bless you continually until your desired weight is reached and your beautiful flourish!!!

-Here is what I noticed:

-I have no appetite

OMGOSH GIRL! YOU SOUND GREAT!!! I'm so happy for you! You shouldn't step on the scale for a at least a week!!!! HUGS!

Congrats!! Sounds like things are going just as they should be!! I've got a couple more weeks (Nov. 15th) and I'm excited and nervous!! I too am jealous about the drain though. My doc said I'll have to come home with it and keep it a full week :( I had a breast reduction 4 years ago and they pulled the drains out before I left the hospital and I sure was happy!!!