Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told don't lose to much

I started this journey at 294.5 pounds in July of this year.I am now 223lbs 3 months out from my sleeve.I really need to lose a total of 145lbs so I still have a long way to go before I hit a healthy weight.A guy at my church told me you look nice but don't lose to much weight.Now the thing is this person last year lost over 100 he say's naturally and everyone was happy for him.Now he wants to tell me not to lose to much.I am in size 18'snow down from 24's but still have a way to go.I was floored because I encouraged him during his weightloss and I didn't like his comment at all.I just want to be healthy how nice I look is a bonus for me.

I've had LOTS of people say the same thing to me. I am trying not to take it personally. And, I really don't think people mean to be such a pain. I think they are just so used to seeing us one way, they have a hard time imagining us another way.

I forget who wrote it, but I saw a post a while ago about someone who was excited to see friends who knew nothing about her surgery and had not seen her in a long time. People told her that she looked great, but no one commented on her weightloss. She got down for a bit, but then realized that they just saw HER, not fat or thin. They loved her for who she was, not what size she was. Made me kinda smile to hear that.

As for this particular person, I bet they still have issues seeing themselves as thin. I know I still do a double take when I look in the mirror. Maybe he's insecure about his size and subconsciously thinks you are doing better than him. Of course, that's just a guess - who knows what really goes through other people's heads???

Just be happy in the fact that you have dropped so much in such a little time. Focus on the new healthy you (and take an extra minute or two checking yourself out in the mirror!)

A friend of mine dropped a ton of weight through diet and exercise and looks incredible, but one of the other mothers at her kid's school asked her if she had cancer! People are a trip.

I wouldn't worry about what others say! This is about YOU. Congrats on your weight loss so far. Awesome job!

I started this journey at 294.5 pounds in July of this year.I am now 223lbs 3 months out from my sleeve.I really need to lose a total of 145lbs so I still have a long way to go before I hit a healthy weight.A guy at my church told me you look nice but don't lose to much weight.Now the thing is this person last year lost over 100 he say's naturally and everyone was happy for him.Now he wants to tell me not to lose to much.I am in size 18'snow down from 24's but still have a way to go.I was floored because I encouraged him during his weightloss and I didn't like his comment at all.I just want to be healthy how nice I look is a bonus for me.

Ignore people like that. Either be flippant and say something like, I'll stop when I get in a size ** whatever your goal is, mine was an 8 (let me be honest, it was all about vanity for me, a healthy BMI was a plus, I had NO health issues!) - or you can say, when I get to a healthy BMI, which is under 25, that is when my doctor and I know I'm at a healthy weight and need to stop losing. Why do people think it is ok to say something like that? They didn't ever bother to tell us, hey, you're getting fat....you should stop gaining!!! My gosh!!!!

I wasn't there so I don't know the tone he said it in, but I think you might be taking it the wrong way. He might have been meaning it in a good healthy way. My aunt had the gastric bypass and looks like death walking. She is so thin she looks like bones with skin. It has aged her 20 years. I see how bad she looks and our whole family see's it. But she thinks she looks great. She is not the only person I have seen lose to much weight with surgery. I have around 30 - 35 lbs to go and I don't want to be very thin! Now I don't worry about being over weight, I worry about being under weight.