Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Allow me to introduce myself...

All I can say is that my routine is a fill after 4 weeks, and no exercise for 1 week (as far as cardio stuff) and no abdominal work for 4 weeks. I can't see any reason why it would be different for other bands. My guess is that maybe they're just very cautious.

Good luck,

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Dr. C,

First of all, thanks for being here. Now my question. I happen to be one of those rare people who have never had many problems with different types of food, the only exception being chicken which sometimes gets stuck. I am also rare in the fact that I have 4 cc's in my 4 cc band (this is for sure because the doc usually takes out the saline and replaces it). I have also been given an Endoscopy and a video esophagram and everything seems to be fine. I can eat way more then I should be able to and in fact have gained about 2-3 pounds from my lowest weight. Do I go for more fill? What would you do if I were your patient? Do I have to "diet" on my own or can I get the band to work for me again? My surgery was in Sept. 2003.

Thanks

Chris S.

Hi Dr C,

I have a question about fills. It seems like everytime I get a fill I will be going along just fine and about a month to a month and a half after my fill...I get very restricted, which is what I am experiencing now. I can barely drink liquids beginning last Wednesday. I am able to keep coffee and room temperature Water down most of the time, but only in small amounts. I was sick with a virus on Monday and Tuesday and I did vomit. Am I just swollen or do I need an unfill? You can see my fill history below. Have you had any patients with the problems of fills kicking in so late after they get them? I have been at every fill level and don't know what to do. I had an EGD and everthing looked fine. I am afraid to try anything soild because I had the worst reflux ever all night long last night. I have never had reflux in the past. Your thougths would certainly be welcomed. Thank you for hanging out on LBT and answering all of our questions!

If you were my patient I probably would fill you a little over 4cc, it's been done safely. If you don't have enough restriction the band won't work!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Dr. C,

First of all, thanks for being here. Now my question. I happen to be one of those rare people who have never had many problems with different types of food, the only exception being chicken which sometimes gets stuck. I am also rare in the fact that I have 4 cc's in my 4 cc band (this is for sure because the doc usually takes out the saline and replaces it). I have also been given an Endoscopy and a video esophagram and everything seems to be fine. I can eat way more then I should be able to and in fact have gained about 2-3 pounds from my lowest weight. Do I go for more fill? What would you do if I were your patient? Do I have to "diet" on my own or can I get the band to work for me again? My surgery was in Sept. 2003.

Thanks

Chris S.

Dear Dr. C:

Wow! I cannot believe your kindness in helping us out on this forum.... especially with your busy practice I know you must have. Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness and time! I have a question about lap band revision. I am in the process of trying to get my insurance to agree to a revison. I have been told by the surgeon trying to help me, that there have been recent improved stitching techniques to help prevent slippage. Is this true? I been successful with the band with 90 lbs off for 2 years now, but must be honest that I believe I have possibly assisted the slippage with forcing myself to upchuck stuck food. I noticed severe restriction during stressful times in my life over the last 2 years, especially nursing my husband back to health after a near fatal traffic accident. Have you had your patients experience severe restriction, acid reflux and vomiting during stressful times? Nobody tells you to watch for this stuff when you are desperate to get the surgery approved! I hope my thread helps others to be careful about not forcing themselves to throw up and damage the placement to the band on the stomack. Thanks so much for your reponse Dr. C. and God Bless! Bullit143 in Texas

I went to the fill center yesterday and it was confirmed that my band has slipped. I am on liquids for a week and then mushies in a effort to hope that the situation corrects itself. All of my fill was removed.

There have been recent improvmenets in how the band was placed (Google perigastric technique and pars flaccida technique). This doesn't really relate to suturing, but the newer technique has reduced the rate of slippage dramatically.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

Dear Dr. C:

Wow! I cannot believe your kindness in helping us out on this forum.... especially with your busy practice I know you must have. Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness and time! I have a question about lap band revision. I am in the process of trying to get my insurance to agree to a revison. I have been told by the surgeon trying to help me, that there have been recent improved stitching techniques to help prevent slippage. Is this true? I been successful with the band with 90 lbs off for 2 years now, but must be honest that I believe I have possibly assisted the slippage with forcing myself to upchuck stuck food. I noticed severe restriction during stressful times in my life over the last 2 years, especially nursing my husband back to health after a near fatal traffic accident. Have you had your patients experience severe restriction, acid reflux and vomiting during stressful times? Nobody tells you to watch for this stuff when you are desperate to get the surgery approved! I hope my thread helps others to be careful about not forcing themselves to throw up and damage the placement to the band on the stomack. Thanks so much for your reponse Dr. C. and God Bless! Bullit143 in Texas

sorry to hear your news. The first time i had a slip it fixed it self. Just be patient before going back for a fill even if you think your ready. Good luck to you.

Dr. C answered a question for me here about fills. I'm about 5 hours away from him and within 2 days I had an appt. following my surgery in Mexico and he scheduled me for exactly one month following surgery. They sent me my paperwork and everything, very quick.

I appreciate his help already and haven't personally met him yet.

Thanks Sherri

Thanks, Sherri. I'm very proud of the aftercare we provide and am glad we can now offer it to any patient, not just those I've operated on!

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com

877.442.BAND

Dr. C answered a question for me here about fills. I'm about 5 hours away from him and within 2 days I had an appt. following my surgery in Mexico and he scheduled me for exactly one month following surgery. They sent me my paperwork and everything, very quick.

I appreciate his help already and haven't personally met him yet.

Thanks Sherri

Dr. C - I too think it's awesome that you're interested in helping here, outside of what I'm sure is an already busy medical practice. I'm still a euphoric newbie and don't have any questions yet. Welcome to LBT!

I was just wondering if the lap band, after so many years, would damage the stomach or bruise or dent it somehow. Can/will the stomach be damaged at all from the band. Just wondering the long-term effects.

Bands have been in for around 15 years world-wide. Unless there is a slip or an erosion, it doesn't appear that there is any real damage to the stomach. This doesn't mean that if you took the band out the stomach would look completely normal however, you'd be able to see where the band was but it wouldn't really affect the function of the stomach typically.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND