Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Story

Sign in to follow this  

Hello to all. I have to say that I was really relieved to find a forum that is specific to VSG. I am also part of obesityhelp.com, but wanted a site that was more specific to supplement my support and knowledge.

My name is Jane and I'm from New Jersey. I'm 29, married, and have a three year old son. I started my WLS journey officially on March 31, 2010.

As a little background information I can say that I have had weight problems all of my life. pills, shakes, powders, prayers, weight watchers, Atkins, gosh I tried a lot of crap and never maintained weight loss. I yo-yo'ed a lot. I got made fun of and harassed about my weight as a kid/teenager.

As an adult I don't go out and do much because I'm afraid to go out. I'm afraid of rejection in meeting new people. I'm afraid of being judged for my size. I hate the stares, the unnecessary comments, the feeling of rejection and worthlessness. I have sleep apnea, am pre-diabetic, am on the cusp of high blood pressure and heart problems. I can't buy clothes at normal stores or fit into normal seats or shoes. I have incredible pains in my tailbone and the rest of my back due to a car accident and my doctor says losing weight will help take some of the pain away.

I feel like I'm a dead person walking. I feel like this is my second chance at life.

So I consulted my surgeon, Dr. Gregory Dakin in NY, on March 31, 2010. He gave me a list of hoops to jump through for the insurance. If you've done your research, you know what I'm talking about. I finished everything a couple of weeks ago and waited for the paperwork to come in. On Monday, my paperwork will be submitted to the insurance for approval. By November 8, I should have the approval in, and I was told we can set a date for December 2010.

Am I ready for this? Yes. I'm ready to stop sleeping with my apnea mask and sleep on my stomach again, and shop in normal stores, and be able to put on a Halloween costume, and sit in a normal chair, and go out in public without getting harassed/stared at, to cut my pre-diabetes, and kick the butt of my heart problems and be ALIVE. I'm ready to go for walks, buy sexy underwear, wear high heels, keep up with my beautiful son. I'm so f**king ready for this, pardon my French.

I do need buddies, however. My support system is okay, but no one really understands what I'm going through.

You're going to find lots of buddies here. The people here have always been supportive and honest. Tiffykins is a walking VSG Encyclopedia and can answer most of your questions.

Good luck to you. Congratulations on making it this far.

I am so excited that you are almost there! I am here for you. I won't have my sleeve until December, but I totally understand the entire weight issue. Hugs! You will do great.

I know exactly how you feel, so many of the things you said ring true for me as well. I'm sick of putting off life until i'm 'normal'. My children didn't get to spend any fun time with me because i was ashamed of my weight and always told myself that when i was slim i would do this or that with them. I lived a few minutes walk from the sea but wouldn't be seen dead in a swim suit so i always made excuses. Now i look after my grandson and i can't even get on the floor with him to play in case i can't get up again!

I am so ready to change my life and start living.

Hello Jane and welcome to VST :)

Thank you for taking the time to write us and tell us all about yourself. I can tell you a great deal of what you have gone through out your life, I have as well. I would even go as far to say many here have.

Keep posting and looking around. You would be a great addition to our family!!! If you need anything, please let me know.

Enjoy your stay, and get comfy -- there's always more room on the losers bench. ;-)

Hi Jane and welcome! You are gonna love what VSG can do for you and what YOU can do for you!

Welcome Jane! I just had my sleeve done last Fri. so I'm still quite a newbie here myself. I am so thankful for this site... every.single.day!!!

I too joined at OH a while back but find the format confusing, whereas here, everything is categorized and so much easier to search for what you are looking for. I much prefer this type of message board and I think you will like it too.

Support. You will definitely find it here. Keep posting.

And welcome!!!

Hi Jane~ I know how you feel. It is a hard decision but, I am glad I made it. I was scared before surgery but, happy to say I had a great experience. I have had a few moments where I miss other types of food. I am nearly one month out now and I am able to eat one ounce of meet and 1/4 cup of veggies or fruit. It doesn't seem like much food but honestly I am full. Keep in mind you will still have to face the emotions and reasons that you turned to food in the first place. ( I am sure you are considering this before surgery too) The emotional connection and rush I used to get when I knew we were going out to dinner is gone. I am finding other things to interest me and help me feel excited and happy. One thing that helps is just having more energy now... I am past the recovery phase from the hospital. I took three weeks off of work and I am glad I did. It gave me enough time to really heal before going back. It is a journey! Listen to your heart and you will make the choice that is best for you.

Welcome Jane---

I know how you feel too. Been there-done that.

You will find a lot of support here. Great people, new friends.

For every question that I had I was able to find answers here.

Lots of information.

WELCOME!

Hi Jane, my surgeon is Dr. Dakin also, I just finished jumping thru my hoops on June 7, and they are suppose to call me on Monday with a tentative surgery date until insurance approves... any thing you could tell about the process at the point i'm at now? do you go to their support groups? how was it to go on mushies right away, did it hurt?