Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Men's fashion after weight loss - any women help us out?

DougNichols
Sign in to follow this  

Since magazines take like 3 months before they actually start arriving at the house, I figured I'd subscribe to something.

Which magazines, guides or other material can help me out after I'm a "normal weight"?

Right now I just buy whatever is on the clearance rack at the Big and Tall store.

thanks!

Well to be honest I just love it when my hubby wears nice jeans and a T shirt. Really. But I do also like him really clean cut. I don't like hair on his nape or anything (especially in his ears!! ack!!).

I like his clothes ironed and clean... and some nice cologne. I'm probably not in the majority here, but I also love him to be chivalrous too. I love it when he opens doors for me, pulls out my chair, and things like that.

I'm not really big on fashion when it comes to my Hubby (but for me it's a whole other story! :o). He really isn't into all the new trends, etc. He just likes to be crisp, clean and smell good. That's one of the many reasons why I love him so much!

if you want higher fashion, then the magazines are Esquire, and GQ.

Also, if I were you, I think I would start by looking in the sunday paper ads- Even JCPenney or Sears or whatever, maybe Macys,and see what they have on the models in there- or just go to their websites.....we are going into the holidays, but there should still be lots of "Fall Season" ideas in there of what folks are wearing. Depending where you live, and what your job/social life, there are a few things you cant go wrong with:

nice dark jeans that fit really well and reach the floor ( I am tall as well, very hard to find ) white short sleeve unershirt under a lightweight v neck sweater of any color that suits you, but IS NOT BAGGY- not skin tight or stretched, but fits just right (you can throw a blazer or jacket over as well...) probably a pair of courderoy pants -they usually have pleated front.... what else? a couple of long sleeve button up shirts over the white undershirt as well , some rugby long sleeves....

Again, go to the mall and check out what they put together on the window displays. In general, i would say, for all us women AND you men, that as you become closer to a popular sizes, just go for stuff that fits well, IS NOT BAGGY (hard to imagine for most of us), and is not tight- but just fits perfectly. Dont be afraid to spend more for the right length or cut, its worth it to really highlight the fruits of all your hard labor!

If you are on a budget, i have found the odd one or two nice things at Ross or Nordstrom rack or other outlets, you could try that, but be prepared to hunt!

You just can't go wrong with a crisp button down, in either white, blue, or blue with white stripe. It can be casual, sporty, business, or dressed up. Untucked shirttails over a plain T and under a crew neck sweater, very cute preppy-sexy. Plain, buttoned up and tucked in with dress pants, smart styllish.

I'll probably still be wearing beer/sports t-shirts and plaid shorts when I get to goal, haha. Oh well.

Who can afford the clothes people wear in fashion magazines anyway?

It depends on what look you're going for. There are those stores in the malls that are for younger people that have all the latest fashions. If you just want to dress nice,

I agree that you should just look at the ads that come out in the paper for JC Penny, Macy's etc. Then go to Ross TJ Max, places like that and find them cheaper!

One thing I really hate are those really straight tight jeans some guys wear . They look ridiculous. I think the "relaxed fit" looks must better.

It will be nice to find T shirts that fit again at Wal mart or other department stores. Most places just don't care 3x tee's where I live and the closest Big @ Tall store is an hour plus away and expensive as $h*T...

Dangit! I just wrote a long reply and somehow lost it! Here's the gist of my suggestions.... :-)

1) Don't buy clothes that don't fit your lifestyle. You can still be casual (if that's your style) and dress nicely. Check out a men's episode of "What Not to Wear" for tips.

2) SHOES! Most men ignore shoes unless it's a special occasion, but you can get shoes that are casual and COMFORTABLE but still stylish. Check out Fluvag, for example. I live in a city where men and women walk all the time, so the shoes have to be comfy. But, also I live in a city full of fashionistas (both men and women). Trust me, you don't have to wear uncomfortable shoes to be stylish...but you cannot wear Nikes every day and pass the fashionista test!

3) Get your girlfriend to help you. If you don't have a girlfriend, a close woman friend (or sister) will help! Heck, if I'm in the area, I'll help! Most men I know who dress well get a lot of help from their girlfriends! Believe me, we love to shop :-)

Also, if you are looking for material, I actually often check out what people are wearing in "US Weekly" or "OK" or whatever is at the checkout at the grocery. Then you can sort of pick a celebrity whose style fits yours and see what they are wearing. Not that you would want to wear that exact outfit, etc, but it's a good way to develop an idea of what you like. After a while, you'll get a sense of what's in style that also fits your taste.

Everyone above had great suggestions. First step is going to a mall and looking at window displays to see what type of clothing you like, would feel comfortable in and fit your lifestyle. If you are usually a jeans and tshirt guy there is nothing wrong with that.

I am like LilMissDiva, I don't mind a nice graphic tshirt and some well pressed jeans on a clean cut guy, and SMELLS keep me smiling! I love Calvin Klein Escape cologne and can smell it on someone at 50 paces. I also like Polo Black, Nautica Voyage. I love clean citrus scents, most women I know do too. I get ideas for my hubbies cologne from my subscription to Glamour magazine where they have a ton of pages to sniff out.

A nice pair of casual dress shoes with jeans that are of a good length (i saw that stressed above and can not agree more). Bass carries nice casual dress shoes for me.

If you are going to go out to dinner and a movie or something put on a nice button down if your not a tucked in kinda guy you can buy the button ups that are cut straight across, usually called Camp Shirts, that are meant to leave untucked but still a casual dress look and a nice pair of darker washed denim. Have at least one pair of khaki's on hand.

GoKart, your style is your style and I say if that is what you feel comfortable in then by-all-means wear it. It already paints me a picture of a jock. That along with your ticker style makes a strong statement. hehe

I think in any style just being clean and your clothes not wrinkled and smelling nice is what counts the most. Like others said GQ is a good place to look and you can find those same clothes at Ross or TJMaxx. Nice jeans and a teeshirt or a button down with a sweater over it and clean shoes always looks good on a man.

It is odd, but I have become a fashion aware guy. I actually wear ties to work almost every day, and I do care about how I look. That said, goodness I love JC Penney and getting things at 70% off! I never, ever spend full price for anything, and yet I receive compliments about my appearance. For me it was tough to get used to looking nice, not buying XXXL things so big that they hung on me. I still have troubles thinking I need an XL long to go over my belly, and I do not. I have bought big stuff since I was a rotund tot and went to Sears with my mom to shop in the "Husky" section, as they used to call it. But no more. Even my feet are more narrow! A regular large fits me nicely. 16 necks for dress shirts are so much easier to find, and no longer do I have to settle for those damn one color shirts. I even wore a shirt with *gulp* horizontal stripes ! This is a part of the good that comes with weighing more what I should, and, dang it all, I am going to look good!

I'll probably still be wearing beer/sports t-shirts and plaid shorts when I get to goal, haha. Oh well.

yeah but they will sure look hot.