Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Life After the Sleeve

Amazing post! I think it is so important for the pre-op folks to know that the first couple of weeks is rough but that there IS a big wonderful rainbow once you get through those first weeks. I am starting week 4 today and am really starting to feel good. I, too, have struggled with weight all my life and I finally feel like I hve done something that is really going to work!

So I figured I'd post a (hopefully) short note on what my life is like about 5 months after my lap sleeve, for any prospective sleevers.

First, the bad news -- this is forever, and it's not a decision to be made lightly. This WILL affect the food choices you make for the rest of your life. It's probably the safest WLS surgery around (when you total up operative and perioperative risks, long-term success rates, M&M stats, and so on), but that doesn't mean it's risk- or hassle-free.

Now, let me soften the blow: it's really, really easy. Every day, I take some Multivitamins -- and I was taking Vitamins before the surgery, so this is no biggy. Every day, I drink a Protein shake for Breakfast -- not because I have to, but because they're tasty and it's quick (I'm usually in a rush in the mornings) and that way I know I'm not getting Protein deficient. I have changed my eating habits dramatically -- I've slowed down my eating and drinking, and I don't eat breads any more for the most part, because I find that bread gets "stuck." It seemed like an imposition at first, but now I don't notice because I've sort of been trained. I don't even WANT bready stuff any more, and that's a HUGE change from my pre-op mentality (I was a HUGE fan of doughy, bready stuff).

I exercise, but I haven't been to a gym since my surgery, and I'm not sure I'm going to be. What I've discovered is that my activity level (or lack thereof) has NOTHING to do with my weight loss. Now, don't get me wrong -- I still do a fair amount of exercise, but that's because 1) it helps in so many OTHER ways -- I sleep better, I think better, my sex drive is better, and my occasional spells of anxiety or mild blues are pretty much gone when I'm exercising, and 2) now that I'm 70+ pounds lighter, exercise seems so EASY. I can easily run up three flights of stairs without getting winded! At 330 lbs, that would have (possibly literally) killed me! So, when exercise makes me feel so good and doesn't HURT like it used to -- why WOULDN'T I exercise? But again, my exercise "routine" consists of some push ups in the morning to keep my chest and shoulders from getting flabby, some arm curls while I'm sitting reading the news in the morning to keep my arms strong, and a 30-45 minute fitness walk at lunch every day. Honestly, it doesn't feel like I'm having to "work out" at all -- it's all so EASY -- and yet my stamina keeps going up, my arms and chest are getting very muscular. It almost feels like I'm "cheating" since there's so little work involved, but I wanted to show you that this is not like you're used to! You don't have to sweat for hours and hours in a stinky gym just to "maintain" -- post sleeve, you just have to do enough to be healthy, and honestly your body WILL reward you.

I still eat sweets -- just not very much. I still drink an occasional bottle of beer or (more likely) a mixed drink or two -- just not very much (volume or frequency). I still have days or whole weekends where I just lie around on the couch and do NOTHING at all -- no fitness walk, nothing -- and mostly munch on snack-y foods. It's not like I'm some slave to my sleeve.

And the net result of my hard, hard life? I've lost over 70 pounds with little to no effort. My weight loss shows no signs of slowing. My doctor is amazed how healthy I am at 40 -- my last blood test showed that ALL of my numbers were "within range." My sex drive -- which vanished in my 20's-30's when I was so fat -- has returned with a vengeance. My face looks much more lean and angular. My bones and muscles now show where fat used to bulge and roll out. I can easily walk over 5 miles without getting winded or sore, and could probably walk 10 miles or more -- in the right clothes and shoes, I think I could walk for days. I don't get tired. I'm already out of the "morbidly obese" category; I'm looking to be out of the "obese" category near the beginning of next year, and by the middle to end of next year -- if my weight loss progress holds steady at about 1-2 pounds per week on average -- I should be near or under 200 pounds. I started this at 330, and I haven't been under 250 in my adult life.

And all of this without any real deprivation, any really hard work (aside from meticulously following the doctor's orders), and any real cost aside from the up-front cost for the surgery.

So, I don't want to make you think this surgery is completely cost and risk free. Like everything in life -- especially everything worth having -- it has trade-offs and consequences. But as someone who has literally struggled with his weight his entire life -- 30 years, probably, and I'm only 40! -- I can tell you that this is the best medical decision I've ever made. I would do it again in a heartbeat. In fact, my only real regret is that I didn't get a chance to do this when I was, say, 20, instead of 40. But still, I'm so very glad I made this choice.

Hopefully that will help some folks who are on the fence realize just how "normal" life after sleeve is.

Thank you so much for your post.

I was sleeved on Monday, I am walking around with a drain, drinking Clear Liquids and wondering what life will be life after. I am prepared to cut some foods from my diet after I've completed with my stages, but I wondered if I would be able to eat a meal again. I would love to have a piece of meat.

I guess pizza will probably be out of the question because of the bread thing. I think I can live with that.

I don't regret the surgery, I just don't know what life will be like after. It's been over 25 years since I've been a normal weight.

Thanks for all the kind words!

My weight loss is continuing at the leisurely (but healthy) pace of about 1 lb per week. It's gotten to the point where it plateaus and the week-to-week "noise" of Water weight and so forth can "hide" the weekly progress, so I have one more piece of advice for you prospective or new sleevers: once you get more than 3-4 months out from your surgery, weigh yourself monthly at most. Weekly weigh-ins will just drive you crazy because of the numbers "bouncing around," but monthly weigh-ins will still show steady progress -- and that's what counts.

At this rate, I'm on track to be under 250 by the end of the year -- merry Christmas, me! -- and at my original target weight -- 220 -- by my next birthday. Wonderful presents, both. It'll probably be next fall before I'm under 200, but I'm okay with that; at least I'm on the road!

And still, my life continues to be easy; unlike before, I don't have to constantly make decisions centered around my weight and losing weight.

PS: greek yogurt and Protein shakes are AWESOME choices for a sleever. I'm a big fan, myself!

This is awesome . I had my sleeve done in April 2010 and I just had my 6 month doctor visit ..My blood work was on target , only low Iron because i am anemic. I have lost 51 lbs since surgery . i sometime feel bad because i think in my mind that i should have lost more.. I broke my hand and had a set back in june and the weight did not move up or down.. I found out that i was eating too much carbs.. I now eat only good carbs and the weight loss has began again. i know that it will fall off with more exercise but i find it hard to get back motivated. i try to do something daily (walk, dance , swim, etc) I am very happy with the sleeve and I will look marvelous next year. I havent found the right Protein Shake yet. anyone , anyone ???? have a blessed day and thanks for the post! :rolleyes:

These are the posts that keep me motivated to move forward. You are right, anything worth having comes with risk and challenges, but I think the reward far out"weighs" those challenges.

ouroborous,

Thanks so much for your post. I am hopefully getting sleeved in mid to late November and looking forward to it with much excitement. Your post definitely reassures me that I have made the right decision.

Have a great day, you made mine.

Jaala

Oh...I can't wait to write a five month post surgery update...just praying it will be full of great progress like yours.