Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op with terrible colics....

I had the VGS on 9/29. Whenever I drink or eat my broth I get such terrible colic like rumbling stomach aches. I literally have to stand still. I got the upper gi and have no leakage. Is this normal? Will I ever eat again? Sigh

While I didn't experience anything like that, I would keep in mind that you are on your 2nd day out and your stomach has been cut, stapled, and burned multiple times only a little while ago. Sounds like the big picture is fine (i.e. no leaks), so just give it some time. How much do you swallow at one time? Maybe you are swallowing too much at once and putting pressure on your stomach. We all experience swelling at different rates, so you might just be one of the unlucky ones with more stomach swelling than most.

Hang in there...... Surgery is crazy. Believe you will be fine... Don't worry it won't do anything except make more acid in your tummy. Someone said in the chat room to sip warm Water. It works best. MN Mary

I had the VGS on 9/29. Whenever I drink or eat my broth I get such terrible colic like rumbling stomach aches. I literally have to stand still. I got the upper gi and have no leakage. Is this normal? Will I ever eat again? Sigh

I still have the rumbles all the time when i drink something. . (I am 9 months out) but no stomach aches. . . are you sipping small sips and waiting about 1-2 minutes before sips??? Try that and yes sweetie you will eat again. . . like i've been saying throughout this whole forum. . . this sleeve thing is a whole new learning experience. . we have been eating wrong all our lives and suddenly literally overnight, we are expected to change the way we eat, how we eat and what we eat. . . it's not easy, it's a learning phase and it's frustrating and somewhat painful. . . it's a conditioning thing. . . you'll be ok, your going to learn, just be patient and take it one day at the time . . we are all here for you and will help you through it all. . . keep up the good work!

Thank you guys! This is def not an easy way out! My stomach aches are a bit better only now I have diarrhea. My dr said give my stomach a few days to adjust and it will get better. He said I should be able to drink 64oz! Woah! I can barely get 8oz in! So I'm hanging in there.

Give it time it gets better.

Jane x

I could barely drink anything on my 3rd day. Got a little better on the 4th and then 5th. I didn't really start monitoring my Fluid intake until Day 6 or 7 and pushed for 60oz. The first week my goal was: keep sipping and try to increase fluids gradually each day.

I am having the same problems. I am 5 days out and I can't seem to get much of anything in beyond a couple of very small bites. Every time I try to get anything down all I feel is rumbling and a feeling like it is going to come back up again. I don't think I have even gotten 20 oz of liquids in. I just feel so nauseous most of the time with the exception of right after I have taken a couple of small bites and then have to stop. Is this normal???

Take it easy, walk,walk,walk,sip,sip,sip and rest alot, that was the advice I was given and it does work :w00t:

How much walk do they actually mean? I keep hearing walk, walk, walk but I don't know how to mix that with rest. My knees are shot. I want to get enough walking in but I don't want to over do it.

Sounds like everyone is really struggling in this group. : (

I am having the same problems. I am 5 days out and I can't seem to get much of anything in beyond a couple of very small bites. Every time I try to get anything down all I feel is rumbling and a feeling like it is going to come back up again. I don't think I have even gotten 20 oz of liquids in. I just feel so nauseous most of the time with the exception of right after I have taken a couple of small bites and then have to stop. Is this normal???

You really need more than 20 oz of liquid. If that continues, please contact your doctor. They might want to give you an IV to rehydrate you. It can be easier to start up again into the liquid if they sort of re-set the meter. 20 oz. is a very small amount.

And Pam, are you taking meds for the nauseous? Folks tell me it really helps.

Edited by 1-4-Many

Hello,

Happy Autumn! How are you doing today? Me well I am having the sleeve on this coming WED. Excited but concerned. Sip Sip Sip is my motto!

Please give me a respond. MN Mary

Yes, I am taking Promethezine probably 3 times a day (can take it every 6 hours). I had chronic nausea before the surgery but mostly it hit in the morning like morning sickness and went away as soon as I ate. So I've also been taking Renitidine which is a PPI.

I am going to really closely monitor my Water intake today and see how much I can get in. Sometimes its easier to drink the apple juice than the plain Water. Which is weird for me because I was a water freak before the surgery and must have drank at least 100 oz a day.

I got up and walked a few laps in the hospital and did that about 4x a day. At home, I just made sure I was walking around the house instead of just sitting or lying in bed all day. I think my official papers said get up and be ambulatory at least 3/4 times a day. Yes REST in between! I went from this chair to that chair to a nap in bed, to walking a bit into the kitchen, back to the recliner. You just have to do a mixture of things.

I had the same problems now it has been a month and this week is the first week I have felt normal. yes I am at stage 4 but I only still eat about 2 ounces. but I feel great...I am at my stall at this moment and not lost but about 2 pounds the last two weeks but before that I have lost 52 pounds. it is worth it. I know now you are wondering I had to go back to the hospital twice in the first 2 weeks after surgery.. hang in there.