Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

YIPPEE!! my thyroid is shot

okay... I know it seems like a weird thing to be happy about.... but I'm thrilled.

I have been a painfully slow looser since surgery. The most I ever lost in a month was 10lbs (one memorable month). I work out 2x per day most days... yoga (harder and more intense than it sounds) and weights. I also hike and bike and almost never watch tv. I eat mostly Protein and my calories stay between 600-1100 per day. My loss has slowed to the point where I loose about 1/2 lb per week (some weeks its a whole lb!). I am .1 bmi points away from being "normal" still, and would like to loose 20 more lbs to end at a bmi of 21.

I had come to accept that that might never happen, and that if it was going to happen in would take me 8 mos or so (to loose 20 lbs post gastric sleeve.... seriously!!!!). Its been depressing but I reached a place of acceptance.

Got my 3 month labs done (I know I know... I'm 5 months post op) and everything looks fabulous... great Iron, B12, D etc. Only thing is I have hypothyroidism. We are going to check again in 1 month... but if its truly hypo... that exlains my slow loss, and if I get on some meds that last 20lbs will more than likely come right off. So.... I guess I'm excited about the news that my thyroid isnt functioning well.

has anyone started thyroid medecine post op???? how did it affect your weight loss?

Edited by stcyt

It stinks but at same time having an answer is better then being left trying to figure out what the heck is going on huh?

Hope things work out and you can get those pounds you want off!

its so weird... but yea... I feel better knowing. I've been really scared because it takes sooo much work to loose such a little bit of weight. I've been terrified that I wouldnt be able to maintain my rigid food and exercise habits and would gain all my weight back. Even though its not great news... it gives me hope

I have hypothyrodism and it's under control and am doing great with my sleeve. You'll feel so much better once your levels are normalized.

Congratulations!

Fit

Aghhh! Hypothyroidism---not as fun as it sounds! Here's the thing, I had Graves disease--severely hyperthyroid--my internist performed a radioactive iodine ablation and *BAM* instant hypothyroidism. That was 19 years ago.

While it's true that the medication MAY help you lose weight, your doctor may be hesitant to put you on enough of the medication to ever have a normal metabolism. Do some research online and you'll find a much more medical explanation, but simply put, they are so grateful to see you at anything in the normal range---by this they mean LOW normal---they are done. Some folks never get to anywhere near normal. I'm sure it's frustrating to be losing more slowly, but this is not a condition you really want to deal with the rest of your life.

Aghhh! Hypothyroidism---not as fun as it sounds! Here's the thing, I had Graves disease--severely hyperthyroid--my internist performed a radioactive iodine ablation and *BAM* instant hypothyroidism. That was 19 years ago.

While it's true that the medication MAY help you lose weight, your doctor may be hesitant to put you on enough of the medication to ever have a normal metabolism. Do some research online and you'll find a much more medical explanation, but simply put, they are so grateful to see you at anything in the normal range---by this they mean LOW normal---they are done. Some folks never get to anywhere near normal. I'm sure it's frustrating to be losing more slowly, but this is not a condition you really want to deal with the rest of your life.

I know its crazy to be so excited about haveing a medical problem. I have a friend who went on synthroid and lost 40lbs without changing 1 thing. The truth is... there is nothing else I can do to loose weight... I'm maxed out in terms of diet and exerise. I've thought about running in the mornings before work... that would be 3 work outs a day. I could pull it off for a while but its not sustainable.

Of course... the best case scenario would be that there was nothing wrong with my thyroid and my metabolism was normal (in which case I would probably already be at goal)... but at least I know whats wrong now, and I have hope that "goal" is attainable.

thanks for all your input guys....

stacey

what thyroid tests did they run and were they out of range?

Do you have a copy of your labs?

OMG good life... you have lost 91lbs!!!! I bet you feel great!!!!

I havnt talked to my doc yet. She left me a message saying my bloodwork indicated hypothyroidism and I should retest in 1 month then make an appt to talk about treatment. So I"m not real sure what the deal is right now

stacey

Hello,

I was put on thyroid meds 6 months post-op. I had been exercising 2-3 hours a day, eating 600-800 calories a day and was losing 3 pounds a month. It felt like pure torture. It took 4 thyroid tests from January to August before they were ready to treat me. The good news is that I've shed 10 pounds since starting the meds on August 20th. I'm much more hopeful and optimistic now! I'm going to be retested at 8 weeks to see how the meds are effecting me.

Good luck!

I have not been put on meds yet but I do have hashimotos which is an autoimune disease where my body is destroying my thyroid and will have to eventually be put on meds to control it.

Some weeks I can tell that my levels are off becasue I am extremly tired all the time and others i am full of energy. I go every six months to have blood work done but since the tests usualy land on a day that I am feeling pretty good they come back on the low side of normal so the doc wont put me on anything. So I have allready mentaly prepared my self to be a slow looser do to the hypo weeks.

Good luck with your testing, and getting the last 20 off!

Edited by laylasmojo
not finished typing before sent

Hello,

I was put on thyroid meds 6 months post-op. I had been exercising 2-3 hours a day, eating 600-800 calories a day and was losing 3 pounds a month. It felt like pure torture. It took 4 thyroid tests from January to August before they were ready to treat me. The good news is that I've shed 10 pounds since starting the meds on August 20th. I'm much more hopeful and optimistic now! I'm going to be retested at 8 weeks to see how the meds are effecting me.

Good luck!

this is so encouraging!!!!!! I lost 3 lbs last month and cried when I weighed.

thanks

stacey

I guess since you are happy about it then Congrats!!

I'm on Synthroid, the most annoying thing about it is it must be taken 1 1/2 hours before eating or drinking.

I guess since you are happy about it then Congrats!!

I'm on Synthroid, the most annoying thing about it is it must be taken 1 1/2 hours before eating or drinking.

I guesse I'm more happy about having an accurate diagnosis than I am about having a defunct thyroid.

That is annoying that you have to take your synthroid without eating or drinking.... what do you do.....take it first thing and just don't eat right at first?

I'm Hypothyroid (Hashimotos) and have been on Synthroid since 2001. My weight went up and down throughout that whole period, so I can't really say if the meds ever made me feel any better to be honest. I get my blood tested every 3 months and basically have been stable other than the times I was pregnant.

I was hoping that since my levels were normalized I wouldn't be a slow loser..so we'll see when the time comes, but i'm prepared to be anyway.

ALSO, my bariatric Dr required a REE test (Resting Energy Expenditure) just to see HOW many calories you burn at rest (basically just to live and breathe). I am LOW (63%...they want you to be OVER 85%) and only burn 900 calories a day. Which means if I go about a normal work or school day and EAT more than 900 calories, i'm already gaining weight.

So with this info, I will need to see the Nut and PT again to determine how to help bring up my metabolism...

Oh, and it's not so bad with the Synthroid...i take it the minute I pop out of bed and by the time i'm finished with my first cup of coffee, it's over an hour later and i'm ready to eat. The only caveat is you cannot take Vitamins at the same time as they interfere...so all those vits need to be taken in the evening - which i have a horrible time remembering.