Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with small children?

Hello. I'm new to the site and more of a lurker (stalker may be more appropriate lol) and read WAY more than I post. I have learned quite a few tips and things to watch for. More than the doctor has shared. Although I have to say my doctor has been very upfront and forthcoming. I am due to be sleeved on the 28th of this month and one thing I have been worried about is caring for my son after surgery. I'm a single mom with a two year old boy (he'll be three a week before surgery :cursing:) with extra ordinary energy. He's also a pretty big boy. Not fat, being overweight myself I am VERY aware of what he's eating and if he's getting enough energy. I think I'm the only person with a two year old who prefers broccoli over happy meals! Does anybody have any tips or suggestions on how to keep up or how long it took to be able to keep up after surgery. My mother is going to be keeping him for four days including the day of surgery and that'll be a wonderful help. I'm just looking for suggestions. Anything will help. Sorry for the novel! :confused1:

hehehe, that was not a novel. . . you should read some of mine NOW there is a novel, especially if i get off on a rant! hehehehe . . . anyhow I was told not to lift anything heavier then 10 lbs for about 4 weeks or so . . . but your lucky you have your mom helping. . .your going to have to resist the urge to pick up your kiddo. . .you don't want to hurt yourself, but you can get down onto the floor and play with him, tickle him, and hug him. . . you don't need to carry him around. . .if he asked you can show him you "boo boo" marks (stitches and scars on tummy) and let him know you had a cut and have to be careful not to lift things that are too heavy right now. . .even 3 year olds will understand that. . .your just going to have to remind him every now and again. . . good luck!

He's definitely over 10lbs. LOL. I thought about showing him "Mommy's Boo Boo" knowing him though he'll probably think he can kiss it and make it better. LOLOL!!!! Thanks for the advice.

Samma,

I too like you have a wild, full of energy 2 1/2 year old! I am worried to see how he will act. I am sleeved the 20th and between now and then I'm just "training" my son he can't jump all over mommy right now. So far so good. Instead of me holding/picking him up, I'll just lay with him or he's sit next to me and we'll read or play that way. Normally I'm his playground, lol, but good luck! :cursing:

Suzette

You're about a week before me. I can't wait, he's (as well as myself) the reason I seriously started considering this surgery. He deserves a mommy that can run and play and keep up. If I can only keep him off long enough to heal! Good luck with your surgery and I'd love to hear how everything went with you!:cursing:

Samma

Ditto! Same here! My son is the biggest reason why I'm having this surgery. I lost my mom due to a massive heart attack when she was 50 and I was 18. I look at my son and think, "I only have my son for 16 more years?" With all my family history problems, I did not want to play "repeat", so that's why I was like, enough! I always struggled with my weight from 8 yrs old and now 27. I have done every diet known to mankind, and after reading tons and tons or info, I decided to go with the sleeve. Good luck to you and your journey, and I'll def keep you posted! :cursing:

I have 4 children my daughter was 4 and my boys are 6,8, and 12. I think no matter how much pain you are in your motherly insticts will come out. I got out of the hospital on a Thursday evening and was at my daughters pre-school graduation that Friday morning. My husband went back to work sunday and I was all alone to take care of them and myself, and guess what we all SURVIVED lol By Monday I was driving and taking the boys to their baseball games. Life goes on when your a mom You will figure out ways to take care of him it comes natural to us. Dont stress over it by day 5 you should be feeling great!!! I wish you all the luck on your journey of success

Welcome! I had surgery about 4 months ago and I have three children, 8, 8 and 7. It took me a good 8 weeks to really feel like I had my energy back. It was hard for me but I am look back and it is a distant memory! Now, that is with three children! Maybe I would suggest finding some things that you two can do together that is more relaxed like puzzles or books. Not sure if your kiddo is like this but I had my kids really start helping around the house (a single Mom here...) and they loved doing that! Even if it is just dusting a table or picking up toys, they really felt for me and knew I did not have the same energy level I had before surgery.

I can tell you that now I have tons of energy and have lost over 45 pounds in 4 months! Time really flies after surgery so just take it one day at a time and the best thing you can do going into this surgery is to plan ahead and be prepared to make adjustments as you go!

Best of luck! You came to a wonderful, supportive place, keep coming back, you will get so much encouragement from these folks!

Hi! I'm right there with you as far as having small children. I have a soon to be 3 year old and a 5 year old and they climb and bounce on me all the time. I've already started steering them away from jumping on me. My husband and Mom will be here to help me out most of the time but if my little one does need to be picked up say to get in the car for example, I will take a stepstool around and have him use that. If he falls or something well, you bet I'm gonna be picking him up just being very careful about it. If you are part of the community in anyway, church or playgroups don't feel bad about reaching out and letting them help you. I think you may need someone to watch him while you have a nap from the threads I've read.

I had my surgery 1 week ago. My grandkids who are 3 and 7 come every weekend since birth. This past weekend was no exceptopn. MY choice!The seven year old is a laid back kinda guy. I explained beforehand what Iwas going to do so he knows to take it easy on old Gramma. The 3 year old stayed with my husband at the hospital while I was having my surgery(long story). It was a real adventure for her and she enjoyed every minute of it. She understands that Gramma has boo-boos on her belly and she can't jump on me or sit in my lap (what lap?)But she can snuggle next to me and thats fine. When she would see me oochin' and ouchin' getting up and down she would ask if my boo-boos were getting better. I would reassure her and tell her I will be just fine soon. And I am. Hubby and I have been out running around again today! You'll be okay. By the time your mother leaves you should be okay if things are going well. If not you can go from there.

At the time of my surgery I had an 18 month old, 3.5 and 5.5 year olds. It was a bit rough not being able to pick them up, and I had the same restriction as previously mentioned - No more than 10# for 4 weeks. But you can still be present and active with him in other ways. Taking walks with the stroller is great, puzzles, lots of books, coloring, more tv than usual. I wish you all the best in your recovery!