Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

meat... yuck!!!!!!

So... I've been a vegetarian off an on throughout my life. I know this sounds kind of tree huggerish but I struggle with the concept of eating animals, always have. I'm not making any judgements... I know its perfectly natural... its just that something in my brain revolts against it.

I've mostly eaten meat because its there... and well... lets face it... its good.

Now I'm finding I hate it.... absolutly hate it. I find this to be a good thing... because if I don't eat meat then I can live and eat in a way that coincides with my ideals.

I want to quit eating meat copletely but I'm nervous about it. I think the dense Protein is a huge part of weight loss (I have 25 lbs to go). It fills my sleeve completely and leaves little room for other junk.

My yoga teacher told me about a hemp-pea protien shake she drinks and I'm going to try that. I just don't want to slip into eating mushies etc....

Any thoughts out there????

thanks

stacey

I don't know much about being a vegetarian, we own a dairy farm, third generation. I would get laughed off the table if I tried to throw that idea out there lol. However I respect anyone's way of eating as long as they don't make it a moral issue.

I do know they have some great recipes here that are vegetarian Vegetarian Main Dishe recipes - Allrecipes.com you may be able to get ideas you would not normally think of from it.

Are you going to be a modified vegetarian eater (some chicken and fish)?

my family own a cattle ranch LOL!!!! I remember my parents quit taking me to the pasture when I was pretty young, and I was never allowed to go to acutions like my sisters because I became too distraught.... the thanksgiving when my dad shot a deer and had blood stains in the bed of his truck and I wouldn't come out of my room still provides a great deal of laughter for my family at holidays. That and the thanksgiving when I was in college living in a vegitarian co-op and we invited our families to a meal of tofu turkey and miso gravy (individual turkeys sculped from tofu... with a corn chip stuck in the top like a rooster)

I'll probably eat fish... havent had that type of reaction to shimp and salmon yet. I suppose thats good, because I do really worry about my Protein intake.

thanks

stacey

Fish is a really good source of protein(and healthier and less cal than meat), I'm 5 weeks out and have different types of fish and it all goes down really well, I can't wait to try a bit of sushi!

I'm really happy to read about the seitan... I am a vegetarian and make a mean seitan roast from scratch... was hoping I could use this as a high quality Protein....my Drs list of protean did not include it... just soy. I believe seitan has a higher % of Protein than soy....

I am still in the pre-op phase... getting ready for the big change... but don't want to make a change back to meat...

Ill go check out your recipes! Thanks..

yea... I'm going to check out the seitan and your recepies. Thanks

tiff

I really think we are too fussy in the West, please don't take this the wrong way but it's a bit odd as I see it really. Am I weird by not being freaked by animal death!! ?

Jane x

I really think we are too fussy in the West, please don't take this the wrong way but it's a bit odd as I see it really. Am I weird by not being freaked by animal death!! ?

Jane x

On the contrary... I think I'm kinda weird for being freaked by it. I just can't really help it. On a rational level it makes perfect sense to me.... its my gut that has a reaction to it.

I'm not one to preach, and believe we all must come to our own conclusions.

..but I do personally believe (I'm a Buddhist) that animals suffer much like we do. I just decided I don't want to be a part of that. I prefer they have the chance to live their lives in peace whenever possible, just as I would like to.

That being said, I like the taste of meat. So I make fake meat like Saitan roasts and such upon occasion to fill my eating desires and piece of mind. Its easy most of the time. I live in California, and there are lots of vegetarians here.

hey feedyoureye... thanks for the input. Its nice to know that the sleeve and vegetarianism can be compatable.

Stacey

Here is the nutrition for tofu and saitan side by side. Not too bad! Saitan can have a very meaty texture and holds a sauce very well.

Seitan:

per serving, 85g (about 3oz)

calories: 90

fat: 1g

protein: 18g

carbs: 3g

iron: 1.2mg, 6% RDA

Selenium: 10 mcg, 14% RDA

Phosphorus: 65mg, 5%RDA

Tofu:

calories: 98

fat: 5g

protein: 10g

carbs: 3g

iron: 1.6mg, 9% RDA

Selenium: 13 mcg, 19% RDA

Phosphorus: 136 mg, 14%RDA

Manganese: .8mg, 38% RDA

Calcium: 175mg, 18%

I'm not one to preach, and believe we all must come to our own conclusions.

QUOTE]

I like this ideology.:D

What about TVP, Texturized Vegetable Protein? I tried a hemp Protein Shake from my local co-op when I was home (N. Cal.) and I nearly keeled over from the horribleness, which is saying a lot considering how horrible the other more typical shakes are, this was the worst!

Thanks for the tip re Seitan, I will try it if i can find it.

Jane x