Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've been lurking for some time while I slowly wade my way through the process. I passed the nutrition eval and my next stop is the psych eval - this Thursday! Any words of wisdom on what to expect? It's a three hour appointment and I can't imagine what will take that long...

Mine was very short it is to make sure u understand what you are doing you are not being coached into it by a love one and that u understand surgery is a tool you mentally have to be ready for the trials and tribulations

My Psych Eval was through the Kaiser Options program. The appointment was about 30 - 45 minutes.

The doctor had me talk a little about my youth and if I felt that I was happy or had any problems back then.

The Doc wanted to make sure I understand the procedures and that my expectations were realistic. There was some talk about depression and what I might do if the surgery didn't go as planned.

I feel that what the Doc was looking for was a positive attitude and the commitment to follow through and follow directions, especially during the post surgery phase.

I was told three hours also but it was more like an hour and a half for me.

The main points they went over was whether or not you can follow the required post op plan and that you din't have any undiagnosed issues. Like night eating or any alcohol or drug abuse issues. She gave me some information on a book to read about setting Boundaries, in all aspects on my life. Which hey, can't hurt. I am one who does not like conflict and will just go with the flow but I know thats not always the best answer either.

Overall, don't worry.

Tracey

And the best thing about the psych eval is that you can tell people that you've had one and you were found to be sane! Not many people can boast that :thumbup1:

Jane x

Had mine yesterday. Was pretty painless. =)

Basically we talked about finding other outlets instead of food and the need for at least 5 things (hobbies) to help with this. Also having something for the oral motor need (ie, sugar free candy, a straw, etc to chew around when needed). I found it pretty interesting and had a bit of an aha moment. I have spent the last 16+ years working for my children/family and have lost "me". I finally have time now to focus a little on me and I need to figure out what "I" like now.

Then there was the MMPI test. Pretty simple. Just answer T/F to a ton of questions. =)

good luck!

Hi again, just thought I would mention that as well as a long interview with the psychologist I also had to do a Rorschach test, the ink blot thing (try this Online Rorschach Test). I was desperately trying to not say I could see blood or death in each one as we went through them. The more I tried to not do it the more I wanted to. I worry about my sense of humour sometimes, it was like not mentioning the war when with Germans!!

Jane x

Edited by Jane_J

I just got back from mine!

He gave me a 370 question test, then asked me 10 multiple choice questions. The remainder of the time he told me all about surgery, eating after, the stages of food (clear liquid, liquid, mushy, etc). 90% of the "psych eval" was him giving me information. :confused1:

Thank you all! This is mighty helpful... Like Jane I will need to watch my sense of humor! I'm hopeful now that I may receive some useful advice. Currently, my biggest concern about the surgery is finding new tools for dealing with emotional eating. I've watched some friends who have had gastric bypass go... well kinda crazy! One was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder. After reading through this site I now think that she was actually borderline prior to her surgery and that it just became more apparent after. Phew... how much would that suck: lose weight but the price is your sanity!

My psych eval was pretty short. My surgery will be happening in Jacksonville and because I live in Orlando, they were kind enough to do it over the phone for me. I was asked questions about my eating habits, living situation, the eating habits of those that I live with, things like that. Nothing too scary. I'm guessing I passed. LOL

Hi Wedding Planner,

I just realized I didn't really answer your question. The surgery is being done at St. Luke's Hospital. It was between there and Memorial Hospital, but Memorial charges more for some reason.

There was one question that the psychologist asked me that kind of threw me. She said that research showed that people typically only lose 50% of their excess weight with the sleeve, and how would I feel about only losing about 60 pounds after drastically changing my body. I was thinking "Hhhmmm...that's not the results I have seen on the boards." But I said something about being okay with weighing under 200, but that I would be disappointed, and that I would do everything to have a more positive result.

I was told to plan on spending three hours at the psch eval because there was a test I had to take. Most of it was very similar to a personality test. They were trying to see if I was a hypocondriac, was in denial, or suffered from paranoia or depression. Then, I had to complete a survey about my eating patterns and food likes and dislikes, textures of foods which reminded me of a Jenny Craig survey. I had to watch a video of the surgery, but it wasn't like the type I had seen on youtube; it just showed diagrams instead of the actual surgery.

After talking to the psychologist for about 30 minutes, she said she was giving me the ok to have surgery as far as my mental and emotional state of mind.

You will do fine...just be honest and relax.