Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help!!!! 5 days out....

Why am I so hungry????? I feel like i did when i was doing the pre op diet. Struggling to get through that diet, what got me through it was thinking...it wont be as hard after the surgery. Now 5 days out, im on full liquids but i feel like im starving! i have to get in 48 - 64 ounces of liquid in but i want food or liquids all the time. I have not been getting all my liquids in either as much as I want. I also sometimes feel pain after i drink...would that be cause i was going to fast ? Am i just so destined to be overweight that Im going to fail at this too?? Im scared and confused.:)

Hey,

I'm six days out....I'm on liquids too and it is hard to get in all the liquids. I feel like I drink all day long! Well, I basically do! Does it hurt after each drink? My hurt while drinking has went away mostly unless I take a couple of big drinks. Then it hurts cause I drank too much too close together! Don't be so harsh on yourself. I know it sounds easier said than done. WE CAN DO THIS!

Hope you get better soon!

Hey,

I'm six days out....I'm on liquids too and it is hard to get in all the liquids. I feel like I drink all day long! Well, I basically do! Does it hurt after each drink? My hurt while drinking has went away mostly unless I take a couple of big drinks. Then it hurts cause I drank too much too close together! Don't be so harsh on yourself. I know it sounds easier said than done. WE CAN DO THIS!

Hope you get better soon!

Yes it does hurt after each drink and then like you said alot more if its too close together. Maybe i am just noticing how much i tend to drink and feel like its alot. I dunno....i do need to ease up but man this was a serious surgery and im just a lil scared it wont work. (Despite the fact that since the 25th Im down 9lbs, yes im crazy thinking it wont work) How long do you have to be on full liquids? Thanks for the pick me up girl! I havent had too much support!

I remember being hungery at about 5 days out too. My body just wasn't getting enough on full liquids. If its okay with your doc maybe try some pureed stuff. You can take a "real" meal and turn it into a liquid. It does get better though. Once I was all healed up and started eating solid food my hunger went away. Its comes back once in a while... but nothing like before. Now I'm only hungry when my body actually needs food and it takes just a tiny bit to satisfy me for hours. The drinking will get better too. at 4 mos I can drink as much as I want with no issues.

I know that fear about this not working.... I get that way a lot still... but... I promise it will. It wont always be as fast as you want it... but it will happen. The biggest thing I can do to keep things moving in the right direction is stay away from mushies and sweets.... lots of lean Protein. I suspect that even if I didn't follow those guidelines I'd still loose... just slower. Hang in there sister.

Here's the good news. Now matter how discouraged and scared you get about this not working... its still going to work.

take care

stacey

Edited by stcyt

A lot of my post op hunger was more mental than physical. I would think "Hey it's been a couple hours since my last meal I should be hungry" then miraculously a few minutes later I would get hungry. I know it's hard especially if you're staying home after surgery with nothing to do but think about food. My nutritionist recommended using little kid cups so you can't down too much liquid at one time. You will be drinking literally all day to get your 60oz of liquid and 60 oz of Protein in. I also took my Water bottles (and the Protein Drink bottles) and marked them at 7oz increments with a sharpie so I wouldn't drink more than I should at any sitting. I also noticed the more protein was in the drink the faster I felt full and the longer it lasted. It's kinda a lot of work but worth it. Good luck!

So glad I found this post, I am 4 days out and feeling really hungary today. For some reason my sense of taste and smell changed after surgery and it is really hard for me to handle the smell of the Protein Shakes. Any suggestions?

Remember, your nerves in the stomach have been cut and stapled off so you won't get a full signal, plus, liquids in, liquids out.

Try drinking warm fluids to see if that helps with the stomach pain after drinking. Sip, sip, sip is the key right now.

As for Jill_B with the Protein, a lot of had our tastes change. You'll have to sample around with some different Proteins to see if you can find one that you can tolerate. My tastes came back to pre-op around 5-6 months out, and things started tasting normal and yummy again.

If you can drink 2oz every 15 minutes, over an 8 hour period, you should be able to get in your 64oz of fluids.

It does get better, and you're not going to fail. Have faith in your sleeve, and most importantly have faith in yourself.

I'm 10 days out. In my case cold drinks cause some pain but it's getting better each day. Try warmer drinks. The firt 6-7 days were very difficult to have all the liquid I need, but now liquids go down very easy. I'm already taking Soup with tiny pieces of meat!

Down here they do:

1st week clear fluids

2nd week smooth food, Soup with tiny pieces of meat and vegetables

3nd week, almost normal, still tiny pieces of meat

I did not get any Protein Drink.

I'm so glad to have read this! You know...misery loves company! But I was thinking I was going crazy...I'm 4 days post op and thinking this won't work...I'm still hungry...I'm like a drug addict and will never get past my NEED for food...But I saw the doc today and he said this was normal and he bumped me up to some yogurt (never tasted so good!) and blended banana with my Protein Drink (it was awesome!) and I feel I can do this now. I even dreamed that he was not able to do the surgery but wasn't going to tell me so I'd be included in research about "mental hunger"...I told ya...I was going crazy! Anyway...God bless you all and WE CAN DO THIS!

When I was 3 days out, my stomach would spasm & cramp with each swallow. I went back to dr. who gave me some meds to disolve under my tongue. It was stomach muscle relaxers. They also gave me Unjury chicken flavor Protein suppliment. It was heaven to me. I also struggled and still do with getting liquids and protein in. Just know that as your stomach heals, it will get easier. I remember thinking that if it didn't get better then I had just totally ruined my quality of life.....but guess what... IT GOT BETTER. Hang in there. You'll be fine.

Hi, I am right a head of you I was sleeved last Tuesdays. I get that pain when I drink too much or too fast but passes quickly. I think part of it is head hunger, part of it is that we still have the hunger hormones still in our bodies and part of it is that we are starting to feel good which means rather then thinking of how yucky we are feeling we are thinking what sounds good. You have to be sipping all day long just to get enough in because we are taking spoonfull swallows.

Nancy

I'm hungry too. My good friend who was sleeved 3 years ago told me that it was the same with her, and got much better after the 3rd week.

I'm one of the lucky ones - I woke up from surgery without hunger and haven't felt it since.

Best of luck. This will pass.

Prior to surgery I always drank my Water, juice, everything with ice cubes. After surgery I can't. Cold liquids are making me nauseous and cause pain. Even room temp are hard to get down. Warm liquids go down with ease though. Perhaps you are having some sort of similar issue going on. Everything I have read indicates that this will pass eventually. Try warm, and just sip sip sip as Tiff says.

Remember, your nerves in the stomach have been cut and stapled off so you won't get a full signal, plus, liquids in, liquids out.

Try drinking warm fluids to see if that helps with the stomach pain after drinking. Sip, sip, sip is the key right now.

As for Jill_B with the Protein, a lot of had our tastes change. You'll have to sample around with some different Proteins to see if you can find one that you can tolerate. My tastes came back to pre-op around 5-6 months out, and things started tasting normal and yummy again.

If you can drink 2oz every 15 minutes, over an 8 hour period, you should be able to get in your 64oz of fluids.

It does get better, and you're not going to fail. Have faith in your sleeve, and most importantly have faith in yourself.

Glad I found this post - thanks for the reply Tiffy, it is now perfectly clear to me why I can't feel full!

I thought that it was just because I'm on liquids and am STARVING for something with substance. I want to CHEW something and eat something that is going to last so that I don't have this contant hunger feeling! I'm sick of liquids and chicken broth already and can't even have mushies for another 15 days! :D What am I going to do!?!?!

I can't even watch TV without seeing something related to food and it is killing me!! :crying: