Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Forest Park Medical Center - Dallas, TX

I had my surgery there and was totally happy with the care and compassion I got. My doctor does most of his self pay patients there to keep the cost down. Everyone I ran into was very nice and they have a whole floor of nothing but Bariatrics.

I had never heard of the hospital prior to having my surgery there but I would have no problem recommending them to anyone having surgery. They aren't that big so you really feel like you are important to everyone.

I am having my surgery there on Monday 9/27. The hospital is privately owned by a group of physicians, so they have all their needs met to what they require!!! I have been impressed with it so far (pre-op)....and I work in a hospital setting!

I loved this hospital...which really didnt feel like a hospital at all!! Andrea ( my night nurse) was WONDERFUL!!! She would come in to see me, and notice I was hurting, etc and she would be immediatley back to help out with meds. Besides my VSG doctor, I had three other doctors that would come in daily and check on me. Great experience!!!

Carrie,

Please don't take this as negative, but I am confused. Didn't you say that you asked not to have the surgery, but were put under anyway? Why would you recommend them if they "forced" you into a surgery you didn't want?

I loved Forest Park and Dr. Davidson...the entire staff was great, starting with the lady the day before surgery that did the pre registration. The nurse, Sandy, that works for several of the doctors is THE best!! Anyone that is going there will not be disappointed, it's like a medical hotel!! :)

I will be having surgery there December 3rd with Dr. Jayseleen. I've heard lots of postive things about the hospital. I also hear they get you up every two hours and make you walk the hallway 3 times! That I am not so thrilled about!

Hollyw --

Yes they do want you to walk every two hours, but don't come in your room and force you to get up and walk. They pretty much allow you to do it on your own. And of course, you don't have to walk during the night time. But, they do come in at 4:30 every morning to take blood and would like for you to get up and walk then. I never did!! They do the labs early so that the results are back when the doctors start making their rounds around 6:30 - 7:00.

I will warn you about the gastrograffin test you have to do the next morning following surgery. That stuff is beyond NASTY!!! To me, it tasted/smelled like liquid Pine Sol. I was having some reflux issues, and not long after it went down, it came back up...which didn't make it any better. But, other than that, everything was great!!!

Very comfortable hospital. The rooms are very spacious and seem more like a hotel than a hospital.

Good luck!!!

Dr. Barker also uses this hospital and I agree with everything said above. The rooms are HUGE, the nurses and techs were super responsive, and it was overall a great experience. If your pain level is above a 2 they bring you pain meds immediately. They work really hard to make sure you are kept comfortable and don't let your pain get out of control.

My husband was my "hallway Nazi" making sure I walked every 2 hours during the day, so I never had anyone say a word to me about walking...

That is GREAT to hear! The nurse practioner made it sound like thay come in every 2 hours your entire stay making you get up and walk. I'm okay with doing it during the day while I'm awake but I'd like my sleep too! I am aware of day 2 and the procedure and I have also heard how nasty that stuff is but hopefully I won't have any problems. I'm glad to hear such wonderful things about this place.

Hope everyone is doing great!

I am wanting the vsg surgery done, but I am self pay. Can anyone tell me what Dr. barker charges for this? Does he make you do pre-op sleep study and psych evaluation? Thanks

My situation was different as I was a revision from band to sleeve, but my revision cost was $5000. Plus I had my gall bladder removed at the same time, which my insurance paid for, so the OR and anesthesia costs were covered by insurance. Dr. Barker also did my lap band, and I did NOT have to have a sleep study or psych evaluation before it. I did have to have a cardaic clearance from a cardiologist though before both surgeries.

I know you need to get an idea of the cost, but please don't base your decision solely on price. Dr. Barker is an excellent surgeon and VERY experienced with all types of weight loss surgeries. We're lucky in the Dallas area that we have quite a few experienced bariatric surgeons to choose from. There is no reason to go to someone that hasn't done hundreds or even thousands of procedures if you live in our area. Be very choosy and ask lots of questions when making your choice.

First day of week #7 and doing much better even though the first week I was not so sure! I didn't like Forest Park and hated their beds. I'm an old nurse so I guess I found many things not to my liking. I am, also, short and found the old fashioed bed hard to get in and out of ...was later told when I complained that they were getting new equipment as some of it was outdated. I was the last room at the end of a hallway and had the feeling of being ignored. The NP was wet behind the ears and pretty much didn't listen to what I said including the fact that I can't take glucovance and gave me a prescription for it anyway.

The one positive thing was Dr. Clayton Frenzel who is caring and takes time to address and answer any question. Never had a doctor spend so much time with me both before and after surgery.

Sleeved 1/26/2011

I am a nurse and pt. Of Dr. Clayton Frenzel. He is an excellent doctor and makes you feel like you are his only patient. He is very caring and concerned with your overall well-being. I thought Forest Park was a very nice facility. I too had some issues with one night nurse. My day nurse took out my iv early in the day because it was leaking. My night nurse kept coming in trying to give me IV meds. Dr. Frenzel told day nurse there was no need to start a new IV. The night nurse kept insisting that he had to start a new line. Come to find out (from charge nurse) that night was his first "day on the job" and he was fresh out of nursing school. Anyway he was overwhelmed with the 3 patients that he had so they took away two ( I was one of the two). I just kept thinking "what if I wasn't a nurse or did not have medical knowledge??" he would have given me several meds that were unnecessary and would have started my IV again. BUT I was a "green" nurse at one time so I can't say too many bad things. My overall experience was positive!