Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

concerned by high fat

I am using a new food tracker, fatsecret.com, and as I input my foods throughout the day it tells me what percentage of my daily total of 600 cals worth of food is coming from fat-carbs-protein. I am ridiculously low carb, less than 10 a day, but that's just because the carbs on offer here are all superbad - fried and white flour. It's my fats percentage that is upsetting me, I haven't even had dinner yet today and my fat grams are at 35!! I'm well under on total calories, low on carb, but thus far 55% of my food today has been fat, 37% Protein, and 8% carbs.

I'm distressed because I'm not eating fatty foods - plain tuna, boiled eggs, lean ham, hard parmesan. Is this high fat the reason why I'm not losing? I've only lost 5 lbs in 3 weeks. :001_smile:

Isn't parmesan high fat? Out of everything you've posted that's the only thing that is dinging my noggin for high fat, other than the yolk of the egg.

We need fat to function properly, and 5 pounds is great. But, take the yolk out of the egg, get non-fat or low fat cheese if you can.

Dairy was always my main source of carbs, and fat because I didn't go fat free until after my gallbladder surgery forced me to do so.

My nut. told me to eat the yolks and I don't have eggs on the same day as I have cheese. The parmesan is the hard kind and I hand grated an ounce. It's already so difficult to get in enough Protein I take it where I can get it. And anyway, my point was - how high fat is too high fat? What about good fats vs. bad fats? Even on days when I have taken in nothing but meat - boiled chicken, plain tuna, steak - the fat percentage is still an alarmingly high percentage of my daily total, even though my calories are less than 600 most days and my carbs less than 10.

That's really strange that you are getting such high fat counts for days you eat chicken and tuna. Unless your chicken is fried and/or you eat the skin, I don't understand how it's possible for you to eat 30+ grams of fat a day considering your portion sizes must still be pretty modest.

It is strange that you get more than 30 if your only eating lean Protein (tuna, chicken) and the parmesan wont count for THAT much. Aprox 30% of you total calories should come from fat, so that's about 180 calories of your 600 calories per day. Maybe as we were saying in another thread your body went into starvation mode, that doesn't account for the 30 gr of fat though, confusing. Are you sure your entering the right amounts etc in you tracker??

My nut. told me to eat the yolks and I don't have eggs on the same day as I have cheese. The parmesan is the hard kind and I hand grated an ounce. It's already so difficult to get in enough Protein I take it where I can get it. And anyway, my point was - how high fat is too high fat? What about good fats vs. bad fats? Even on days when I have taken in nothing but meat - boiled chicken, plain tuna, steak - the fat percentage is still an alarmingly high percentage of my daily total, even though my calories are less than 600 most days and my carbs less than 10.

I guess you'll just have to email your nut and ask how you're getting such high fat counts on such small portions of food, and find out their suggestions. I was trying to help you get the fat counts down.

I checked out the fat counts on hard parmesan, and it was 8grams per ounce. I was just trying to give a suggestion on cutting fat with removing the yolk since that is where most of the fat and cholesterol is found in eggs. Since there is 4.5grams of fat in a hard boiled egg with the yolk vs. 0.1gr of fat with no yolk, but then you lose half the Protein count. I know it's frustrating trying to get in the protein grams without getting in too much fat.

My nut did say that fat from nuts, avocados and Peanut Butter were better options for me.

I don't know how much is too much because fat grams were not a focus of mine. I never counted fat grams. Just carbs, protein and calories and it never affected my weight loss.

Well I for one am just baffled. Emails to my nut. go unreturned so I will have to email the surgeon but this seems like a bothersome question to put to him.

Today what is precisely going into my mouth, no more no less:

1 Breakfast sausage patty

1 plain tuna cup - no mayo

2 oz skinless baked chicken breast

3/4 cup chunks of honeydew melon

4oz canned turkey meat, drained

This adds up to 591 calories, 26.74 fat grams, 12.3 carbs, and 72.5 Protein grams.

caloric breakdown - 51% Protein, 41% fat, 8% carbs.

except for the sausage patty and the honeydew melon, there will be no flavor in todays food, just protein after metallic tasting protein. I suppose with my remaining 9 calories I could douse everything in mustard ...

I just looked at my log and my fat % ranges from 30% to nearly 50% and I still lost well. I am expecting my blood test results next week and I will post them as I am curious to see the effects of eating an average of 2 large eggs every day for the past year has been. Essentially I have been following an Atkins type programme because for me this gives long term fullness and energy. I don't waste my calories on carbs at all.

My slow down now is due to being close to goal now and drinking beer and wine.

Jane x

Aren't you at goal already Jane? After how many months did you start drinking wine? How do you tolerate it? Not that I'm planning on drinking loads, it's just that at some point I'm going to have to face going out with my friends and I expect to at least be able to drink a small glass of wine.

Hi Chilo1, I am at goal but I figured to give myself a bit of leeway, so I am aiming at 130lbs now which is 3 more lbs to 9st 4lbs. I fist drank wine socially about 3 months out but very very rarely. I wanted to work the sleeve as much as possible to get to a comfortable size. I didn't really fancy the booze much to be honest anyway. I found normal diet drinks really boring, so developed a taste for virgin bloody marys, plenty of tabasco yum yum. And thats a grown up drink so looks OK at parties, you can pretend it has some voddy in it too.

Jane x

Globetrotter--sausage is very high fat. I wouldn't eat that any more. Check out my food list on fatsecret and see if the way I've been doing things is available to you. I think my fats come out to about half of yours. I know I've only been on there 2 days lol, but maybe it will give you some ideas? I do lowfat cheese (good source of protein) and lean meats. That's where my fat comes from. If they give you breaded stuff, pick off the breading.

Here's a thought--if you tell them you are on a special diet for medical reasons, will they make some accommodations for you (like lowfat cheese, or grill something for you instead of frying?). Also, Protein powder shakes might help to get the Protein up and keep the fat down when what they have in the dining hall is unacceptable.

Aren't you at goal already Jane? After how many months did you start drinking wine? How do you tolerate it? Not that I'm planning on drinking loads, it's just that at some point I'm going to have to face going out with my friends and I expect to at least be able to drink a small glass of wine.

At 6 weeks out, light non acidic white wine (Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc) are do-able without problem, but the reds don't taste right/sit right yet so I avoid them that this point. I make sure to count it in my calorie count so it doesn't become a weight loss problem. I know it's ideal not to drink at all, but I'm a wine nut, and my goal is to enjoy in moderation.

Yeah, I think I know that sasuage is high in fat ...:thumbup1:

An army difac doesn't work that way, there are no "special considerations" that you can ask of a cook, not here, you take what you can get. The sausage was on days when my choices for Protein were limited. I'm going back to having a shake every day, it keeps things simpler and easier to track. I'm also throwing away my Peanut Butter, clearly it has the potential to become a slider food.< /p>

At 6 weeks out, light non acidic white wine (Pinot Grigio, Sauvignon Blanc) are do-able without problem, but the reds don't taste right/sit right yet so I avoid them that this point. I make sure to count it in my calorie count so it doesn't become a weight loss problem. I know it's ideal not to drink at all, but I'm a wine nut, and my goal is to enjoy in moderation.

Thank you Donna for that tip, it will come in useful!:thumbup1:

Globe, I wouldn't sweat the fat so much. If you have chosen to go lo carb, you can't be low fat easily at all, it's almost impossible, in fact, especially if you don't plan on torturing yourself with a ridiculous "diet" - what's the fun in that? I've done lo carb since pre surgery over seven months ago and have been hugely successful; 95 pounds down in six months. I never worried about fat and some days... well, I'm embarrassed to admit the count but it was over 100g's... things like steak, eggs, sausage (yum, a fairly regular staple for me), Peanut Butter (strangely not a slider for me as a tablespoon is soooo filling and soothing, even 7+ months out.) nuts, cheese, and so forth. Oh yeah, mayo, makes all that Protein so much more delicious. I'm just now thinking about switching to the low fat version of mayo just to assuage the twinge of guilt a tiny bit. :thumbup1: I'm happy to share some of what I've been eating over the last several months if you're interested. How far out are you from your surgery? I haven't been able to get by on 600 calories in many months. I'm at 1200 or so now but I do exercise alot (intense biking about 100 miles a week).

Don't sweat it. Good luck!

C