Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

concerned by high fat

Yeah, I think I know that sasuage is high in fat ...:thumbup1:

An army difac doesn't work that way, there are no "special considerations" that you can ask of a cook, not here, you take what you can get. The sausage was on days when my choices for Protein were limited. I'm going back to having a shake every day, it keeps things simpler and easier to track. I'm also throwing away my Peanut Butter, clearly it has the potential to become a slider food.

I think you're doing amazing under the conditions that you have to work with. Keep the faith! If there's anything you need that's mail-able (protein powder? ) let me know and I'll send it to you!

Donna

I haven't really been watching my fat content very much, but when I go check out my food log, I can see that it's very similar to yours. I use low-fat cheese, and light mayo to add some flavor to my Proteins, and that even increases it some. I have decided, though, that I can't stress out about everything, and fat intake is one of the things I just pretty much ignore. I really have to focus to get that dang Protein in, and make sure to stay in the 600ish calorie range, in addition to drinking loads of Water. I haven't lost much in the last 3 weeks, either, but was in a stall for nearly 2 weeks of that, then lost 6 lbs. in 6 days, so I think my body is still adjusting. I'm betting yours is too.

Sorry you don't have great food choices, but I think you're doing really well with what you have to work with.

Globe, I wouldn't sweat the fat so much. If you have chosen to go lo carb, you can't be low fat easily at all, it's almost impossible, in fact, especially if you don't plan on torturing yourself with a ridiculous "diet" - what's the fun in that? I've done lo carb since pre surgery over seven months ago and have been hugely successful; 95 pounds down in six months. I never worried about fat and some days... well, I'm embarrassed to admit the count but it was over 100g's... things like steak, eggs, sausage (yum, a fairly regular staple for me), Peanut Butter (strangely not a slider for me as a tablespoon is soooo filling and soothing, even 7+ months out.) nuts, cheese, and so forth. Oh yeah, mayo, makes all that Protein so much more delicious. I'm just now thinking about switching to the low fat version of mayo just to assuage the twinge of guilt a tiny bit. :eek: I'm happy to share some of what I've been eating over the last several months if you're interested. How far out are you from your surgery? I haven't been able to get by on 600 calories in many months. I'm at 1200 or so now but I do exercise alot (intense biking about 100 miles a week).

Don't sweat it. Good luck!

C

Hi Keys Lady, would love to dive with your outfit. I so totally agree with what you say here. Have just spent an agreeable evening eating lamb cutlets followed by strawberries and cream and cheese. These are all OK in Atkins world :001_smile:

Jane x

My nut. told me to eat the yolks and I don't have eggs on the same day as I have cheese. The parmesan is the hard kind and I hand grated an ounce. It's already so difficult to get in enough Protein I take it where I can get it. And anyway, my point was - how high fat is too high fat? What about good fats vs. bad fats? Even on days when I have taken in nothing but meat - boiled chicken, plain tuna, steak - the fat percentage is still an alarmingly high percentage of my daily total, even though my calories are less than 600 most days and my carbs less than 10.

Hey Globe,

I just wanted to chime in really quick here. I am logging all my food at the daily plate and it has similar pie charts too. I have to eat a very low carb diet right now and I'm finding that my percentages are just the same as yours. I'm not eating anything excessively bad for me either. I'm eating things like Salmon, baked chicken breast without skin, beef trimmed of fat, etc...

I was shocked at first but what I learned is the percentages have to be picked up somewhere. Our Carb percentages have decreased significantly. I've been averaging about 16% Carbs... over 50% Fats and the rest Protein. I'm also pulling in about 100g or more of protein too (however I'm eating more calories than you).

As long as your making healthy choices with your food, I really wouldn't worry. It just looks funny seeing it like that. Also, eating low-carb forces your body to burn fat instead of sugars as fuel. You are burning those fats your eating and also the fat on your body.

HTH!

Hey lilmiss, I just got my bloods done after over a year on Atkins type diet. I will post the actual numbers after I have prised them from the cold dead fingers of the NHS white coats that have decided that I may not have my own blood test results!! Good news is that they did condescend to tell me all my bloods were OK! Give me bloody strength dealing with this crap!!!

Jane xxx

Hi all!

I know it is MUCH easier said than done when I'm on one side of the ticker & many of you are just starting. But, it is important not to stress over so many small things. Just follow your plan and you will be successful.

I too had my moments of "what if I change this" or "what if I do that". But, I'm here because I follow my plan 90% of the time. That means 10% of the time, I'm "bad". I have wine, beer, and (oh no! :ohmy:) diet soda. I eat a spoonful of mashed potatoes here and there and sometimes a cookie :eek:. Don't think of this as a diet. It is a new way of living and a new relationship with food. Diets fail ... learning to eat healthy cannot fail you.

So, please relax ... know that stalls will happen (and they are sooooooo frustrating) ... but the good news is that you will normally see a big changes in measurements and a large whoosh of pounds when the stall is over.

Now my disclaimer ... trust this post. Don't look at my prior posts where I was questioning myself, mad at a stall, and thinking I would never make it! :001_smile:

Hey lilmiss, I just got my bloods done after over a year on Atkins type diet. I will post the actual numbers after I have prised them from the cold dead fingers of the NHS white coats that have decided that I may not have my own blood test results!! Good news is that they did condescend to tell me all my bloods were OK! Give me bloody strength dealing with this crap!!!

Jane xxx

Jane that is excellent news! I was a bit worried about the long term outcome. I've been a low-fat eater since... well forever really. However, where did that get me? Right where I am today working on WLS #2 and still needing to lose 130 Lbs... :001_smile:

Anyhoo, I think this low-carb thing just might be my answer to a perfect marriage with my new sleeve! Let us know what you find out once those crazy Docs give you your own test results... lol

Mini, you have done exceptionally well. I canNOT wait until I'm on the other side of the fence with ya!!

All these opinions have been super helpful, thanks guys! I've decided to not focus on the fat, just keep my carbs down. Also, instead of concentrating my fats in one intake I'm spreading them around. So instead of having one "big" serving of pb, I'm having a little cream cheese here, a vash quiri there, etc. Plus I've switched out the morning sausage patty for a serving of A-1 Jerky nuggets which I heard of here on the forum. 12g's Protein for one ounce, oh yeah!!