Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At what Point do you notice weight loss

I was sleeved last week Wed, had a few complications and well I have not noticed any weight loss yet, anyone have this issue or can help answer this question

What your scale says and when you notice are two completely different things in my world. I have lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks and while I can see it a bit, it's not as obvious to me as I'd think. I also haven't really had anyone say, wow, you look like you've lost weight, so that is something I'm waiting for! :wave:

What I can say though is that my clothes fit differently and I am wearing smaller things that used to be way too tight. I've lost over 15 inches on my body and that is a great thing. Right after surgery your body retains Fluid from the IV's, a lot of bloating from gas and a lot of swelling. I would give yourself a little more time, you'll definitely see the scale change and you'll be able to notice the difference in no time!

I was sleeved on Aug 16th, released on Aug 18th, no complications, however, when I weighed myself on 18th I was up 10 lbs. My doctor said it was due to the IV fluids.

So don't be discouraged. Best of luck for speedy recovery.

I did the math, and when I average it out I lose 3-4 lbs a week. But individuals days fluctuate up and down by a pound. One day I will weigh 294 and the next 294.7. I've decided I can't worry about the day to day fluctuations. I'm kind of discouraged because I wanted to lose faster after surgery, but I'm just going to keep on going. It will come off eventually. I've lost almost 40 lbs and I still haven't gone down a pants size!

I was sleeved about six weeks ago. I came home from my surgery up a bit, from IV fluids and long flights.

I'm down 26 pounds so far, and I wouldn't say it's terribly noticeable.

My face is thinner and my double chin is going away. My waist is very noticeable, and I'm getting back my old hourglass figure. I can only tell that my waist is smaller when my clothes are off, so no luck with other people noticing that one yet. My biggest indicator so far is that my clothes are all either loose or more comfortable. I never realized just how tight those pants were until I lost enough weight that they fit the way they're supposed to fit!

It seems that most people don't see a dramatic difference in themselves until about 50 pounds or so (depending on how much you have to lose, of course). At 50 pounds you will be down maybe two sizes, you'll be thinner all over your body and other folks should be noticing.

For now, enjoy the small changes. With 26 pounds off, I can climb the stairs in my house more easily, my joints don't ache as much and my clothes aren't so tight that I wear lounging pants all day to avoid the torture. Soon, you'll be experiencing your own benefits, but you do have to be a little patient.

I hate that part! We all want the weight off NOW, don't we?

~Cheri

I did the math, and when I average it out I lose 3-4 lbs a week. But individuals days fluctuate up and down by a pound. One day I will weigh 294 and the next 294.7. I've decided I can't worry about the day to day fluctuations. I'm kind of discouraged because I wanted to lose faster after surgery, but I'm just going to keep on going. It will come off eventually. I've lost almost 40 lbs and I still haven't gone down a pants size!

Donna, I thought I was the only one! I was sleeved July 14 and in the 5.5 weeks since have lost only 24 pounds - and 20 of those were in the first two weeks!! I haven't gone down in any sizes, I don't count the pair of pants I'm barely able to pour myself into that nearly cut off circulation! My bras fit fine, but I don't even have to tighten to the middle row of hooks yet. The only vague difference is when I photograph my face while smiling. Only in that pose can you just sort of make out that my chin might be slightly sharper than it was. Otherwise, I see no substantive difference.

My surgeon as absolutely calm, with 100% belief that if I stick to the 600 cal diet that I will lose weight. :)

Donna, Globetrotter, I'm right there with you. Sleeved on the 29th July and the last time I weighed myself I was 27lbs down post op (had no pre op diet) and no changes in clothes, no people noticing, no need to tighten my bra...I really think that eventually it's gonna start being noticeable and that I'm gonna start changing clothes but what does it take for that to start happening?? Do I have to lose 60-70 pounds? Cause that's what I'm starting to think...

PS. Donna I really like your blog, keep it up! And the mushroom thingy was delicious!

I think some of it depends on how big you are to start with as well. I'm now nearly 10 weeks out and about 29.5lbs down, but noticing it quite a bit now, everything is smaller.... clothes are dropping off me. You can really notice it in my face but even things like my calves are thinner too.

But like some others I actually gained during my hospital stay, gaining everything I lost in my pre op diet, which was kind of disheartening..... but i knew long term it would come off.

Hang in there..... it'll happen.Good luck

I know, I am a heavyweight, so I'll need to lose quite a bit before it's noticeable...And Donna and Globetrotter are heavyweights too, as far as I can see, so it's probably that.