Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I'm new to this journey, although this is my 3rd attempt at getting the surgery. I have so many questions that I don't even know where to start. This biggest one is deciding between the sleeve and the band. I'm so afraid that I won't be able to control my eating without the band but I've also read a lot of the revision forums and I don't want to be regretting the decision to get the band. Also, I'm reluctant to even get excited about getting WLS because the last time I went through this, a family member was going to pay out of pocket for it. However, the day before my first doctor's appointment, she decided the withdraw her offer (and her money). I don't know if I could handle going through that type of emotional pain again.

Has anyone used Dr. Webb in Jacksonville, FL?

I don't have alot to offer however I do hope you are able to make the decision that is best for you and the funds come through!

The sleeve is a great tool - and I am so happy I did it!

hi Fleur, I decided on the sleeve after researching and reading other experiences on forums like this one. I didn't fancy a port under my skin and having to go back for expensive fills plus some of the sleeve stories about sliming etc were quite frankly revolting. As I could see no possible reson I would want my overlarge stomach back ever I decided the one off VSG was the way for me to go. It allowed me to achieve my weight and health goals and I am extremely delighted with it. i would make the same decision again if I had to.

Good luck with your WLS whatever you decide and I hope your insurance comes through OK. Your rellie sounds horrible to do that to you BTW.

Jane x

I also was interested in the band.......until I read story after story of complications after complications! I am also self-pay and going to MX for surgery and don't want to make that trip everytime I need a fill!

I also don't like the fact that you can "cheat" with the band....all it takes is a milkshake or something like that to slide easily through and you can eat to max capacity. I was honest with myself and knew that if I could cheat and over-eat, I would and I was also honest with myself that I am not good with "maintenance" and all the fills/un-fills would never get done. I wanted something permanent, so the VSG was right for me.

Good luck with your decision and with insurance/financing!!

i definitely recommend the sleeve, i have it and i love it!!! recovery is much faster and i haven?t had any type of complications.....plus of course i went with the best doctor in Mexico, Dr. Aceves.:)

Thanks everyone for you replies! Since my post, I have had my upper GI done, blood work, paid my deposit, and I have my first appointment with my surgeon next Thursday. Looks like things are starting to move along. As happy as I am that things are moving forward, I'm STILL hesitant to get excited. My mother thinks I'm crazy, but when you were burned like I was the last 2 TIMES, I tend to be a little more cautious. I told her I'll be excited on surgery day. LOL