Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck and depressed!

Hi Everyone....haven't been on here in a while but I really need help! I had my VSG surgery back on Feb. of this year and thank goodness everything has gone great! I have lost 40 lbs and I'm very active! I exercise a lot, I work a lot, and I go to school. However, unfortunately for me I have been stuck at 174 lbs for the last 2 months almost! I'm stuck and I won't lose. I eat pretty much everything but try my best to stay on the healthy side. I don't have any sodas, no fast food and no fried foods! I do however have a tiny bit of ice cream and a cookie from time to time but don't go overboard at all! I just think to myself how is it possible with all the exercise that I do that I still don't lose! I'm really stuck and I'm very scared and worried! My biggest fear is that my stomach has stretched! Has anyone gone through this situation? Is there any advise anyone can give me or any diet to follow?

Help! :001_unsure:

P.S. My friend had the surgery the same day as I did and she is now weighing 147 lbs!!! I feel so depressed!

There have been several people on here that say you need to raise your calorie intake for a little while to let your body know it isn't starving. I am not as far out from surgery as you are, but that seems to be a common comment from veterans here. I know its frustrating not to be losing as fast as your friend, but we are all different, and lose differently. I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but we are here for support! Best of luck and let us know if anything helps/changes!

Yep. Change it up. Try days of Protein shakes only, see what happens ... and then try higher calories for a few days. It has worked for me. However, I must say, my weight loss has been very slow the last couple of months.

Have you measured? How are your clothes? I have continued to lose inches and wear smaller sizes. Are you building heavier muscle but getting smaller??

Just a couple of ideas. Hope it gets better for you!

I hear ya... I've been bouncing up and down within the same 4-lb. range for two months myself, and I'm freakin' sick of it!! I have been eating more carbs than I should though, and I know that. Are you exercising? I'm doing the Couch to 5K running program right now and I really think that's gonna get things moving again. I've been between 188 - 192, and for the last couple of weeks it's been 188-189, so I have hope. If you're like me, carbs are the dang devil!

I've seen people say increase liquids, Protein, and calories to break the stall. I had the 3 week stall and broke it with the above plus exercise. And I don't cheat at all. Carbs are evil. Maybe go back to logging your food and see if there are hidden calories?

It does seem odd, doesn't it. I can tell you I had surgery 2 days before you and I'm slowly still losing. Usually 5 lb a month, which is slow. But I'm not exercising much. I cheat some, pretty much eat like I always did except less and less spicey/less fried, etc. just like you.

Recently I ate the greatest bowl of black Beans with ham and weiners in it, and onion and Tomato and a touch of jalapeno. OMG it was so awesome. And after I ate it I realized I was full. And I realized I had eaten no bread with it or drank anything. So I took my little bowl and poured Water to the fill line of where the Beans were and I measured the Water. It was 6 oz, maybe slightly less.

I was very full and shocked I could eat that much.

If I could eat more than this, hmmm, I don't know if I'd be losing weight. Maybe you need to really see how many ounces you are getting down to know if you have a size issue. That would be a total shame I know. But still better to know.

Other than that, maybe get a second opinion from a great doctor.

Hi Surfy,

Can you log everything you eat on something like the DailyPlate? It may show unexpected results, I know it really helped me.

Jane x

Hi Surf, you mentioned having a "tiny bit" of ice cream and Cookies and I believe you. However, as we all know, we are all battling not just the physical aspect but the psychological one. Is there a possibility that you may be indulging in these treats more than you realize? Do you measure the portion, eat full fat, have more than one serving more than once a week? I'm not trying to be critical, but for me personally ice cream is a trigger that's why it caught my eye in your post. If I were eating it I would probably be having a lot of it and trying to rationalize it. So like some of the others said, maybe logging your food for a week might show you a weak spot or something you are missing.

Body composition is a much better measurement than the scale. The scale only measures overall weight but not how much fat or lean tissue you have. why not focus on body measurement instead of body weight? You may find you are losing inches and gaining muscle. It is better to weigh 150 and have 10% body fat than to weight 130 and have 30% body fat. If your clothes are getting loser you are doing OK