Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone suffered blackouts??? please help!

I am about a year out now and ever since I had the surgery, I have been suffering from blackouts. I don't faint, but I loose my vision, get dizzy, and a really bad headache from all the blood rushing to my head at once.

I thought I read somewhere that it might be due to a lack of Protein, and I upped my Protein intake, but it still happens every so often. I have an appointment with my PCP, but just wanted to know if anyone on here had something similar.

Hi Ainsley,

No I haven't had anything like that really. I did nearly faint today because I had not eaten enough though. I would definitely see your doctor about it.

Good luck Jane x

I guess its in the air because i woke up in the middle of the night with low blood sugar

Definitely see your doctor. Do you have low blood pressure by chance? When mine is low, I have very similiar episodes. I was told to up the salt a bit - not great for Water weight, but it does help with the dizziness and light-headedness.

Best of luck. Let us know what your doctor says about this.

I have them! Got up two weeks ago from bed, blacked out and busted my whole lip! Came to when my husband was screaming at me! On the floor, laid straight out. Many time when I get up I get very light headed, dizzy and vision dims. I have had HBP and discovered that evidently my meds were too strong now (2 mos out) and called Dr. He halved them! Now, I am better but if I take my meds too late at night when I wake up I will get the same response.

In the last three weeks I have been having the same thing happen when

I stand up. I learned that my blood pressure is dropping causing this to happen.

The doctor took my BP while laying, sitting and while standing. Everytime I

stood up it would drop to around 80 over 35. I do not take BP meds so it was not

from that. It stopped own it's own but I it does still happen maybe once or twice a week.

Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by Garyb_58

wow we are some messed up people!lol

I was diagnosed in March with Orthostatic Hypotension. Essentially, it's low blood pressure due to a sudden change in body position. Typically, standing up quickly from a reclined position, or bending over at the waist and then popping up quickly.

My PCP pulled labs, and all was perfect. The way they diagnosed it was had me lay down take my BP, then sit up quickly, take it again, then I waited 10 minutes and then stood quickly, and take my BP again. The numbers dropped significantly with the biggest drop in my numbers were from lying down and then standing up. It was in the neighborhood of a 20 point drop between the numbers.

My pcp instructed me to increase my Fluid, sodium intake, and my activity level. I also had to make a effort to not get up too quickly. I was having 3-10 episodes per day, and once I bumped up my fluids, and my sodium the episodes resolved. My bp is still borderline low around 90/55 typically. My PCP also said that due to the rapid weight loss, my body is trying to adjust, and the receptors for bp are in the neck. So when we stand up quickly, those receptors are confused. I think that was the basic explanation.

Check with your doc and get some labs pulled to ensure you're okay in that department.

I was diagnosed in March with Orthostatic Hypotension. Essentially, it's low blood pressure due to a sudden change in body position. Typically, standing up quickly from a reclined position, or bending over at the waist and then popping up quickly.

My PCP pulled labs, and all was perfect. The way they diagnosed it was had me lay down take my BP, then sit up quickly, take it again, then I waited 10 minutes and then stood quickly, and take my BP again. The numbers dropped significantly with the biggest drop in my numbers were from lying down and then standing up. It was in the neighborhood of a 20 point drop between the numbers.

My pcp instructed me to increase my Fluid, sodium intake, and my activity level. I also had to make a effort to not get up too quickly. I was having 3-10 episodes per day, and once I bumped up my fluids, and my sodium the episodes resolved. My bp is still borderline low around 90/55 typically. My PCP also said that due to the rapid weight loss, my body is trying to adjust, and the receptors for bp are in the neck. So when we stand up quickly, those receptors are confused. I think that was the basic explanation.

Check with your doc and get some labs pulled to ensure you're okay in that department.

Tiffykins, is that serious? I have been having this problem for 6 months now. See my last post. I have a Dr's appt in late August...just curious. I've been trying to increase fluids..but nothing has helped.

Tiffykins, is that serious? I have been having this problem for 6 months now. See my last post. I have a Dr's appt in late August...just curious. I've been trying to increase fluids..but nothing has helped.

Completely serious. I had been restricting my sodium intake as well bc of Water weight. Once I started drinking regular gatorade, some 100% grape juice, and it's completely resolved. Occasionally, I might have an episode if I hop out of bed too quickly. But, you can webmd.com orthostatic hypotension to see the symptoms and solutions.

Last night I fell (or passed out, I am unsure) when I got up out of bed in the middle of the night. My husband looked over and said "what are you doing" and I realized I was on the ground. I have been getting dizzy alot when I stand . I was on BP medicine and was taken off of it about a month ago and I was thinking that would help but it hasn't.

I am going to go in to the dr.s and find out what is going on but good to know others have the same thing going on. Must be the body adjusting or something?

Completely serious. I had been restricting my sodium intake as well bc of Water weight. Once I started drinking regular gatorade, some 100% grape juice, and it's completely resolved. Occasionally, I might have an episode if I hop out of bed too quickly. But, you can webmd.com orthostatic hypotension to see the symptoms and solutions.

no, i dont mean are you being serious...rather medically speaking...is that bad? should i be concerned?! I told my Girlfriend about more sodium and she laughed at me because im a salt freak! (its my favorite :) )

Definitely see your doctor. Do you have low blood pressure by chance? When mine is low, I have very similiar episodes. I was told to up the salt a bit - not great for Water weight, but it does help with the dizziness and light-headedness.

Best of luck. Let us know what your doctor says about this.

Hello. No I don't have any problems with my bp at all (as far as I know). I don't take any medication. I don't know. . . I will be seeing the doctor soon and will tell you all what he says.

Thank you all for your input! I will bring some of these ideas up to him and see what happens. Keep sharing your ideas and experiences!

no, i dont mean are you being serious...rather medically speaking...is that bad? should i be concerned?! I told my Girlfriend about more sodium and she laughed at me because im a salt freak! (its my favorite :confused1: )

There are other conditions that can contribute. If the increase in fluids, and sodium did not resolve the issue, our next steps were for me to see a cardiologist. Luckily, it has resolved for the most part, and I have every 3 month follow ups to follow my BP.

I never had bp issues pre-op. Never high, never low, pretty much 110-120/60-70. When this started, I thought it was directly related to not eating enough or a deficiency in some vitamin/nutrient. My sodium level was on the "low normal" end, but still within the normal range, and everything else was fine.

Orthostatic hypotension is supposedly pretty common, and a benign condition.

I also am having some issues with being dizzy. I have not blackout, but often feel close to it. It usually happens when I change positions too quickly. It seems like others are having similar reactions. I had hbp but got off of my meds right after surgery. Tiffikins, that is interesting and I am going to check into this.:confused1: