Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need some help. I was approved by my insurance to have the sleeve done. I?ve completed all the pre-op tests. I just need to make my payment for the non-covered fees (which I have the money for) and I can have my surgery scheduled. I?ve been waiting for this day since January. However, for some reason I?m having second thoughts and I?m scared to commit to the surgery now.

In 2004 I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer, I?m doing well and the only problem is the Radiation caused me to go into menopause at the age of 38. Since then I?ve gained 80lbs and my oncologist has been on me to loose the wait. He say?s that obesity is not good; I could come down with cancer again. Needless to say I?ve been trying to loose the wait for the past 6 years and I just can?t do it. My last option is the sleeve.

Is the fear that I have normal, have any of you felt this way? How did you get past it? I?m worried that later on in life my decision to have the surgery will come back to haunt me. Either, by a health issue that will be made worse by the surgery or some other issue. Yet at the same time I know that not having the surgery can be just as harmful to my current health.

My husband initially wasn?t for the surgery; he's since come around some what. My son feels I shouldn't do the surgery and he loves me the way I am, he feels the choice to do this surgery is a drastic choice.

Any advice you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. I hope I'm not the only one out there that felt this way before making the commitment.

Having fears before any surgery is completely normal. You are making a choice to change your body in a permanent way to ensure a healthier (and more likely, longer) life.

Have you talked with your surgeon about your fears? If so, what did he/she say? They know your medical history & can walk you through all the possible complications and concerns. They can also calm fears of the unknown.

You are definitely normal. It's "REAL TIME" now and not research. Just take a deep breath ... remind yourself of all the reasons you want to do this ... compare that to "what if's" ... and decide what you want to do. For me, my reasons for yes definitely outweighed the "what if's" and it was an easy decision for me.

Best of luck!

Thank you so much for sharing. Your right, I do need to just take a deep breath and relax. Really, I think I’ve always known that I want this surgery. I just got scared. You definitely helped to reassure me. I’m so happy that we have this site to share…

Glad to help. I agree ... this is a great site for support. I've lost my head a few times (a.k.a. STALLS) and this group really pulled me through. Be a regular on here & get the support you need.

Welcome!

What a great blessing that you were able to survive cancer, the sleeve is going to give you the opportunity to THRIVE! The anxiety preop is not only normal, but in my opinion healthy. You will have some the first few weeks post op as you learn to use your new tool. Keep posting!!!

Anna

Agreed that it is normal and healthy to question having a drastic, unreversable procedure done. But...as someone who was sleeved last Friday (one week ago) I can tell you that I don't regret it for a second. (((hugs)))

I am in the same boat... waiting on insurance approval and flipping from one extrememe to the other decision wise. I have done a lot of research and I feel this is the best decision for me but, that doesn't mean I am entering into it lightly. I have the added worry about my voice on top of it. I receiving professional contracts to sing opera now and I don't want anything to jeopardize these opportunities. In the same breath I need to be as healthy as I can be to do what I love! So I am with you 100%.

Papillon thanks for the response. I wish for you the very best. I pray that your voice will not be hampered by your surgery. Please keep in touch I'd like to hear of your progress through your journey.

Surviving cancer means there's a plan for you and seems God has a lot more for you to do!

That's what it came down to for me. I knew I had a lot more to do on this earth and I wanted to be strong and healthy to do it. I want to run a mile with my son, see my grandchildren, grow old with my hub, and just live! Being obese wasn't going to let me do these things and the bottom line was I was more afraid of losing my life than I was of the surgery and everything that goes along with it.

Your decision is not an easy one and I think its perfectly normal to have doubts. Just keep weighing your pros & cons, pray, and listen.

Good luck to you!!!

I think we all have those preop nerves. Once my 6 months of insurance requirements were complete, I really started to get crazy nervous and uncertain of what I was doing. But, since I am the type who follows through once I initiate something, I made a promise to myself that even though I was having doubts, I would not express them to my surgeon's office and I would not call and cancel anything. I decided to continue on as if I were going through with surgery despite the doubts in my mind. I told myself that if I got to the hospital that morning and my heart and mind were not sure that I would get up and walk out and not go through with it until I was ready. Well, surprise surprise! I was more sure and ready the morning of surgery than I had ever been. I knew that morning that it was meant to be.

I guess my round about point is that you really don't have to decide now. Go forward with everything so that you don't delay your surgery due to uncertainties that will probably go away. If you walk away the morning of surgery, the sky won't fall. But, if you have done your research and discussed the cancer/bariatric connection with your oncologist and bariatric doctor and they both think it's a good plan, then you'll be ready when the time comes to move over to the loser's bench. Best wishes!

Hi There,

Sorry for all you have been through! Be glad you have found out about the sleeve option. I had terrible horrible fears. Even right after the surgery. By the end of the first week I was very excited and happy I did it. I am six weeks out and can't believe it! I eat like a normal person should, small portions. I did this FOR my kids, my mother was very obese growing up and I missed out on a lot of my childhood possibilities. She had no energy to do much for me and she passed away before she was 70 just because of her weight problems and missed out on her grandchildren being born. I also felt like it was drastic beacause like you I had to lose about 75 pounds. I thought I could do that on my own, but after 10 years of up and down I thank god for the sleeve. As long as your doctor gives you the thumbs up, go for it. And by the way my sister was sleeved yesterday!!!!!

I need some help. I was approved by my insurance to have the sleeve done. I?ve completed all the pre-op tests. I just need to make my payment for the non-covered fees (which I have the money for) and I can have my surgery scheduled. I?ve been waiting for this day since January. However, for some reason I?m having second thoughts and I?m scared to commit to the surgery now.

In 2004 I was diagnosed with Colon Cancer, I?m doing well and the only problem is the Radiation caused me to go into menopause at the age of 38. Since then I?ve gained 80lbs and my oncologist has been on me to loose the wait. He say?s that obesity is not good; I could come down with cancer again. Needless to say I?ve been trying to loose the wait for the past 6 years and I just can?t do it. My last option is the sleeve.

Is the fear that I have normal, have any of you felt this way? How did you get past it? I?m worried that later on in life my decision to have the surgery will come back to haunt me. Either, by a health issue that will be made worse by the surgery or some other issue. Yet at the same time I know that not having the surgery can be just as harmful to my current health.

My husband initially wasn?t for the surgery; he's since come around some what. My son feels I shouldn't do the surgery and he loves me the way I am, he feels the choice to do this surgery is a drastic choice.

Any advice you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. I hope I'm not the only one out there that felt this way before making the commitment.

Melinekesh, Thank you for your support. Its comforting to hear part of your story. I'm curious to know did the sleeve help you reach your goal of 75lbs? Did you have any complications? Since we have same amount of weight to lose, I'm wondering how long it took you.

Hi, I had the menopause unexpectedly early and was finished by 38 so I can relate to you there. Are you able to take any HRT? I did till I was 50, it helped keep my sanity, the menopause made me very depressed and that contributed to more weight gain too.

I am lucky that I have not had cancer though. This was over 5 years ago though for you so you should be able to be treated as normal now. I would recommend you do this op as I have got so much healthier without the weight. I am not taking any meds now and feel 100%.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Jane x

Thanks Jane for the reply. No I'm not able to take any HRT and the past 6 years were hell. Menopause made me depressed as well and I do want to feel healthier. I've decided to have the surgery. Now its to schedule it... I'll be counting on this site and friends to get me through it all. Thank you so much for your postings not just to my question but others as well. It really does help.