Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 3 weeks post surgery. At first I recovered EXTREMELY well. I went back to work on day 7. Now suddenly, I'm completely wiped out. I just began teaching again this week and I'm sure that is part of it. I pulled a muscle in my back/hip doing something (walking my friend's dog?). I feel almost as tired as during the first trimester of pregnancy. Also my fibro has been acting up like never before.

Anyone have similar experiences. Suggestions?

Thanks

Yes. I am 6 weeks. I have chronic fatigue and fibro and my back has been hurting. I feel exhausted all the time. Yesterday I took a sick day and slept 5 hours and then went to bed at night as usual. I feel wiped out with any physical exertion

There has been some discussion on Australian boards of the week 3 - 4 slump - both a plateau in weight loss, fatigue and a real emotional slump.

I went through this - I have an underlying auto-immune condition and this also had a flare. This passes - it is not surprising given the extent of the adjustment your body is going through - keep your chin up and you will start to pick up

I'm 3 weeks post surgery. At first I recovered EXTREMELY well. I went back to work on day 7. Now suddenly, I'm completely wiped out. I just began teaching again this week and I'm sure that is part of it. I pulled a muscle in my back/hip doing something (walking my friend's dog?). I feel almost as tired as during the first trimester of pregnancy. Also my fibro has been acting up like never before.

Anyone have similar experiences. Suggestions?

Thanks

The heat can't be helping any! :cursing: I feel like I'm gonna pass out sometimes just going from the store to the car. It's crazy.

Feel better guys!

great - just finishing week 3 and heading into week 4. depressing news :001_rolleyes: I have seen the slump in weight loss - even gained a couple of pounds back which everyone can agree seems unbelievable compared to what was eaten before vs now. But I know its the body adjusting and things will kick back in again. so far no fatigue for me but next week will be my big week (after Wed) when I am released back into the wild - no restrictions on activities.

I was wiped out off and on for a good 6 weeks. I do think around the 3-4 mark it was pretty bad. I remember gong hiking with a friend thinking that I was a month out so I could do a "real" hike. I had to turn back... just couldn't do it. Now... I have all the energy in the world. I feel much better than I did pre-op. It takes our bodies a while to adjust to our new anatomy.... you'll get there.

Yeah, I had some difficult energy slumps in the first 8 weeks. I am over 3 mos now and my energy is coming back better than I've felt in YEARS. Be patient and listen to your body.

This board rocks! Now granted, I'm an emotional sort, but I got tears in my eyes reading your responses.

Delawaregal and Catbert6, I'm sorry you have to deal with auto-immune/chronic crud too, but thanks for sharing your experience. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Everybody else, thanks for the chin-up. Of course I'm afraid that this fatigue will last forever (did I forget to mention that I have an anxiety disorder with obessive features?) so it's nice to hear that others have gone through it and it will pass. I feel better already.

I'm an outgoing person, so I usually can find support from my friends. This is different because I only know two people locally who have had bariatric surgery and I don't know them well. My friends are well-meaning, but they don't know what to expect and they worry about me. So instead of being able to say, "Oh yeah, Im went through that, it'll go away;" they say things like, "I'm really worried about you; you haven't felt like yourself since the surgery. Don't you think you should be eating more? I think you need to see your doctor." Not helpful at all. This board is a life saver. Thanks everyone.

I know what you mean, Lisa Lu. I have done as much reading as I can on this forum since my surgery. It has helped me know what to expect and given me ideas and solutions to common problems. We have good people here. It's nice to share this journey with those who are going or have gone through it.

I find myself telling my husband things that I have read now and then and realize how much I have gained from being a part of this community. Thank you ALL!!!

Hi Lisa Lu,

I went through all sorts of ups and downs especially in the 1st 6 months. The other posters are right, it will come OK, I think we underestimate how stressed our bodies are by an operation with general anaesthetic followed by a prolonged period of low calories. My energy levels now are sky high but I can remember feeling like I just wanted to stop. The closest to it was when I was pregnant with twins and they were leeching all the goodness out of me. I did my best to ensure I had all the Vitamins I needed, plus Calcium. I did not bother with Iron but I am not sure if that was a good or bad decision. I hated iron suppliments when I was pregnant and could not face them again. I am post menopausal though, if you are not it may be worth looking at.

Jane x

I know what you mean, Lisa Lu. I have done as much reading as I can on this forum since my surgery. It has helped me know what to expect and given me ideas and solutions to common problems. We have good people here. It's nice to share this journey with those who are going or have gone through it.

I find myself telling my husband things that I have read now and then and realize how much I have gained from being a part of this community. Thank you ALL!!!

I could have written that. Now I have to refer to people as "Forum Friends" or "People I Really Know Friends" or my poor husband gets so confused. :thumbup1: