Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello peeps. I joined Vertical Sleeve to offer support, as my Mom is awaiting approval for her surgery! I have learned the inner workings of the operation and pre/post operative expectations as I have educated myself too along with her. I feel it necessary and beneficial to have a supportive family member during this exciting, yet nervousy process. So if anyone can give me advice as someone that will be the sidekick, so to speak, please do so as I want to be there 100% for my Mom! Thanks.

That is awesome that you supporting your mom through this! I will reply with some suggestions when I have more time, but I wanted to tell you now how great it is that you are supporting your mom like this.

I was the support crowd for my daughter. I just went with her to everything, stayed by her side, got her anything she needed, tried to make her laugh & let her know I thought she was doing something wonderful for herself. (That was pre-op & right after surgery). I wanted to have her stay with me for a couple of days afterward, but she thought she didn't need anymore help.

Getting educated on the process is a good step, and joining this forum is a step-above!

Ask any questions that come to mind as you and your mom go through the journey. Someone here is likely to have a similar situation!

Thanks to all! I look forward to the suggestions. I am patiently waiting like my Mom to hear about the approval. I know this will be a big change for all of us as we are very close and do a lot of things together, like eat. So both our habits will be different, but I know it will be for the better. I'm sure I'll be losing a few pounds in the process too! That's gotta be a perk. :thumbup:

you are already doing your best, keep it up and be there for your mom congrats on being such a supportive daughter, best of luck

Jumping right in and experiencing everything by your mom's side is really the best support you can give. Having a full understanding that her life is going to completely change is very important. Changing along with her and being non-judgmental when she slips will also help a lot.

At one point in my life, I was the supportive friend and years later my friend told me that the fact that I was willing to try Proteins, crushed up Vitamins and everything else he was going through still stood out and he has thanked me for that kind of support.

Now that I am the one going through all of these life changes, my husband is a little wishy washy in his support. He likes that I've lost weight, but he's jealous and tends to sabotage my efforts (unconsciously, I hope). The biggest struggle is that he still expects us to keep buying the same types of food, drinks, Snacks, etc... He hasn't changed his eating habits hardly at all and having all the junk food has been difficult for me. Even after a year, he still makes a big deal out of how small my portions are and for some strange reason it always makes me feel weird, strange, abnormal, guilty - a bunch of things that I shouldn't feel. Then he complains that he hasn't lost any weight. Uggh!

Anyway, I think you are doing an amazing job already of supporting you mom. My mom didn't agree with my decision, but once she knew I had done my research and made up my mind, she stood by me and has supported me throughout my journey. This type of support is the KEY to success and I'm sure your mother loves you very much for standing by her.

What a sweet daughter :-) way to go!

GUESS WHAT? My mom found out her surgery date! It is Aug. 17th. So she will be starting her 2 week pre-op diet next week. Woa. I am very excited for her. She, however, is not manifesting the reaction I thought. :) Don't get me wrong, she is going to do it, of course. So my question is. Did anyone else feel not so elated when the surgery date was announced? I mean the anticipation seemed more exciting for her than the actuality of the event. Maybe she is scared that it is now a reality?? What do ya'll think? (She found out Friday, July 23). Maybe it'll pass.

GUESS WHAT? My mom found out her surgery date! It is Aug. 17th. So she will be starting her 2 week pre-op diet next week. Woa. I am very excited for her. She, however, is not manifesting the reaction I thought. :) Don't get me wrong, she is going to do it, of course. So my question is. Did anyone else feel not so elated when the surgery date was announced? I mean the anticipation seemed more exciting for her than the actuality of the event. Maybe she is scared that it is now a reality?? What do ya'll think? (She found out Friday, July 23). Maybe it'll pass.

I think my anxiety buttons were pressed when I realized the date was set. It was as though the negatives of having ANY surgery loomed large in my mind and I began to wonder if I should do it. Of course, I started asking myself why I couldn't limit my eating without cutting away 80% of my stomach in an irreversable operation and then started getting down on myself about my lack of will power.

I experienced a lot of emotions that had nothing at all to do with feeling excited or elated, though they were there too, just speaking a lot softer than the worried emotions!