Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure if anyone has asked this lately or not.

My doctors appointments are at the end of july and early august due to my doctors being slammed. I was sleeved on June 28th.

My incisions are fine and healing nicely.

Now my wife and family have asked me to go out on the boat which includes swimming. How long did it take everyone to go back to the Water.

Pool also if anyone has a pool.

I just know its hot and naasty out and a dip is sounding inviting. I just dont want to get into trouble.

Kevin

Until your incisions heal completely, and are no longer scabby, or scaley. Any type of lake/ocean Water, or chlorine can cause infection, irritation, and even cause the incisions to open again. My instructions were no swimming, or actual baths until I was at least 4 weeks out.

Remember not to over exert yourself until you receive full clearance from your doc.

My Dr gave me clearance for swimming when my scabs were gone and scars healing up - ie no open bits at all.

Then it was only for gentle stuff... not over exerting myself at all... I have been given full ok at 6 weeks out for my cardio stuff.

If in doubt then don't risk it..... the last thing you want is an infection in your scars.

My surgeon cleared me to swim at my 2 week appointment, although I didn't actually hit the pool for another full week since I was still a bit sore and worried about my incisions (I am majorly infection-prone).

There's a big difference between lake swimming and pool swimming. If there is anything there besides scar tissue I would really fear for infection. A pool is more hygenic but I was told I couldnt even do that until incisions were completely healed. Your body is realy vulnerable right now... but it wont always be that way. be careful... but be sure to have fun

stacey

I was cleared for baths at my two week post op, when I still had some glue left on my largest scar and some scabbing on the other larger one. I was told no swimming until all glue was gone, everything was closed up on its own and all scabs had fallen off. I'm almost there but I can see a couple of points of vulnerability on the two largest ones where something might sneak in and set up an infection. I'm going to stay away from swimming for another couple of weeks to be safe. I'm also still doing showers just to be safe.

I LOVE the Water and Do tons of Water Fitness My Dr. said at 2 weeks post op I could start swimming and excersising again. I actually was back in the pool just hanging with my kids by day 8.

Good Luck

I have a drain hole, which is not stitched. I was told it heals from the inside out...and that I could not bathe, or swim until that incision was completely healed.

My surgeon said I could swim after 10 days - providing the incisions weren't sore or inflamed. I started swimming on day 11 and it's been great and seems to have helped the scars healing too.

I agree with comments on pool swimming vs lake swimming.

I also make sure I keep the scar sites well moisturised so they stay supple.

I have a drain hole, which is not stitched. I was told it heals from the inside out...and that I could not bathe, or swim until that incision was completely healed.

My drain hole was the same with no stitch - it healed within 3 weeks, no problems.