Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A post for Newbies regarding last meals...

If I knew then what I know now!!!!!! I had my VSG in January and had all of my favorite meals, Snacks, treats, etc....Well, I wanted to post and tell everyone considering surgery it's not necessary to eat everything in site and think you will never ever eat all these foods again.

Last night, I went out to dinner to a German restaurant. Anyone who knows German food knows that it is heavy, full of fat and just filled with flavor...It is not for the dieter. Added pressure was the owner spotted me and hubby and started fussing over us and brought us all kinds of extra special fat laden foods....

Well, I am here to say, I enjoyed a little bit from every dish and was thrilled to tell the waiter to wrap most of the appetizer and main course up....Due to the sleeve, I knew I could have a little taste of everything last night and then some more today....

It was very clear to me this morning when I woke up, that this is truly the way thinner people eat. And NEWBIES there's no need to binge on last suppers before surgery (and trust me I did it) because you can still have smaller portions of your favorite foods and enjoy it just as much if not more!!!!

Good luck to everyone!!!

Great post! Thank you! Thoughts of a "last supper"...or 12, have crossed my mind but as I read more and more I am realizing that my favorites will still be in my life.. just in smaller portions. I'm one of the lucky ones who doesn't really have cravings for "bad" or "junk food."

For dinners I make mostly (90% of the time) lean meats or fish, with plenty of veggies, and usually some kind of grain/pasta...(couscous, brown rice, Quinoa, Amaranth, or Farro.) We also do a lot of Sashimi nights. Now thats not to say that every so often I won't ever go for the Rib Eye and eat all of my fiances charred fat before I even plate up our steak, roasted garlic potatoes, corn and crispy shallot green Beans...:blush:haha

For me its just that I eat way too much of the good "healthier" stuff 90% of the time. My problem is and always has been that I can just eat and eat and eat.

So I feel that this surgery is the PERFECT answer to my ever nagging issues with food. :thumbup1:

BonBon I am right there with you. I am not a junk food craver, just a food aholic. I love good food in quantities that are way too huge. It's like I have no Full button.

I haven't thought of my last days before I start my preop too much. I'm still in month 4 of my 6 month diet. But this has made me think about it. You know, maybe it's not necessary to have that Last Supper, Since in a few months I'll be eating smaller quantities of the healthy foods I enjoy.

Thanks for sharing that thought.

Tracey

Thank you so much for sharing. This is very encouraging. I plan to have the surgery the end of August, or first week of September and have been thinking about my "last supper". So good to know that it's not the end but the beginning of a new, healthier life!

I never did the last supper thing, because I knew it'd only make the first month of liquids & mushies harder if I was thinking back to when I recently deliciously gorged myself silly. I sat around wishing I had a few times during my grumpy liquids phase, but it definitely wouldn't have helped any!

I will say though that my surgeon didn't require a pre-op diet, just 1 day of clears the day before surgery, so maybe that made it easier not to indulge. I was also trying very hard to reach a personal goal of being under BMI 50 and under 300 lbs by the time I had surgery, so I was working hard to count calories and behave.

I also tried to avoid eating anything that would be a dietary staple during the first month, like Protein shakes, Jello, pudding, cottage cheese etc. so I wouldn't be burned out on it as fast. I figure that gave me an extra few days before I wanted to chuck all my Protein samples into the disposal and just sleep until the first month was over. :thumbup1:

Having a concrete goal for surgery day and knowing from reading these boards that the first month would suck but after that it gets so much better really helped me stay focused and get through the surgery and the first month. Everyone was right, too!

Take it one day at a time and then one week at a time and focus on getting through your first month with staple line intact and tissues hydrated. After that, you'll be back to trying out old foods and new foods alike with a new freedom that you never had before.

I am so grateful for these forums. You all are truly awesome. Thank you for your encouraging words and sharing your stories. Each of you are a true inspiration.

My last meals I have been saying that for the past few months, and I probably have gained weight. Of course the one month I watched everything I ate, and worked out I only lost 2 pounds, but found out something is now wrong with my thyroid. I will stop eating everything thinking this is the last time I will be able to eat this. Thanks for the information.

I was really motivated back last October when I was approved for the surgery, but lost my motivation, when everytime I turned in everything I needed my surgeon came up with something else for me to get or another doctor to go see. So when I received my final approval and my surgery date, it caught my surprise. So I have exactly one month before my pre-op visit, and I feel so unprepared now. I have alot of learning to do, and feel a little bit overwhelmed right now. I wish they had one of those books Sleeve Surgery for Dummies, because I sure could use one right now. lol

This is my first post here. I so wish that I could have read this post a few months ago, as I had many "last meals," thinking that I could never have my favorite "bad" foods again.

I put on a few pounds during my nutrition meetings because of this. Thankfully, I managed to lose almost all of it during my pre-op diet.

I'm getting a bit nervous now...my surgery is in less than 36 hours, and tomorrow is my clear-liquid diet. It's a kind of combination of eager anticipation and jitters, though.

It was very clear to me this morning when I woke up, that this is truly the way thinner people eat.

Yeah, Bambi, all those skinny people that never finish their plate, just pisses me off. :) Now I want to be one of them, and with VSG, I think it can happen.

Thanks for the message, enlightening.

So happy to hear that. Thanks so much for your post Bambi!

I'm a new member, anticipating VSG the beginning of June. I'm so glad to read this post and the replies following it. I know I think I've got to get my "last meal" in before the surgery even though in my head somewhere I know I can someday eat things just in much, much smaller portions. It's just another confirmation to me that this surgery is the right decision for me. I want, no, I NEED to eat like thin people do, much smaller portions. What a joy it will be when I can do that. I can't wait. Thanks again for the great info.

LOL...awesome! Surgery is Tuesday and was sooo tring to decide if Mexican tomorrow was a bad idea??? I know I'll miss it! I guess I can wait. Haha

If I knew then what I know now!!!!!! I had my VSG in January and had all of my favorite meals, Snacks, treats, etc....Well, I wanted to post and tell everyone considering surgery it's not necessary to eat everything in site and think you will never ever eat all these foods again.

Last night, I went out to dinner to a German restaurant. Anyone who knows German food knows that it is heavy, full of fat and just filled with flavor...It is not for the dieter. Added pressure was the owner spotted me and hubby and started fussing over us and brought us all kinds of extra special fat laden foods....

Well, I am here to say, I enjoyed a little bit from every dish and was thrilled to tell the waiter to wrap most of the appetizer and main course up....Due to the sleeve, I knew I could have a little taste of everything last night and then some more today....

It was very clear to me this morning when I woke up, that this is truly the way thinner people eat. And NEWBIES there's no need to binge on last suppers before surgery (and trust me I did it) because you can still have smaller portions of your favorite foods and enjoy it just as much if not more!!!!

Good luck to everyone!!!

Great post for newbies to read! I had one last meal (Outback) and that was it. Of course I was tempted but knew I had to focus on losing weight pre-op. I'm so glad I did (lost 63 lbs) because the surgeon told me if I hadn't she would've had to have done an open surgery versus laproscopic because my liver was still pretty big. No way did I want a long scar down my stomach! I've also heard that some surgeons have canceled operations due to people not losing enough weight pre-op. So it is important to listen to what your doc wants you to do!