Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Down 40 pounds, and no one noticed today:)

Oh MAN do I remember feeling the exact same way at 40 pounds!! Actually, at 40 is when people JUST started to notice, I was frustrated and amazed at how very FAT I must have been! I think they should have noticed 5 pounds gone afterall! :001_unsure: Funny thing is, when I hit 60 lost, suddenly everyone is telling me enough!! Don't lose any more. My advice, though I know it's hard and we all want a little attention and appreciation for what we are doing, is forget about the public. The positive attention is going to become tedious after awhile, trust me. I love all the good comments but I'm ready to move on to the next greatest thing to talk about. Make any sense??

Good luck to you and hang in there kiddo!

C

This is my exact experience. People didn't notice at first, I think it was about 60lbs before people really noticed something major because I had a lot to lose. . .

After you lose more, people will notice, and they'll tell you stop "getting skinny". I started hearing that at 80lbs loss, and here I am with an additional 68lbs gone. Imagine their surprise today.

And, now, to this very day, all I want to talk about is anything but surgery, my daily calorie intake, and "how I lost half of myself and then some" as people say.

It'll come to you, chin up. You've done amazingly well and you'll hear wonderful cheers for you soon.

Don't worry...you are doing great!

I can relate. I have lost over 40 lbs and no one has said anything- except for people who know I had the surgery. I get a little depressed about that.

I was a speaker at an event not long ago. But I was so unusually dressed up that is what people saw. One lady was like "you look so great in colors". And I was thinking I wonder if it 'might' have something to do with losing 40 lbs and not the colors I'm wearing...

You know how you know 'something' is different, but you don't know what? Maybe that is what it was. They couldn't figure out if you looked better b/c you might have been more 'primped' or if you lost weight...you don't know what they might have been thinking.

Hang in there. I'm sure you had a renewed confidence inside yourself, even if no one commented on it.

There was a girl I worked with and she lost 50lbs and I really didn't notice till all the sudden one day I was standing next to her and wonder who that was. When I realized who it was I gasped and said, "OMG you are tiny! When did you lose all that weight?" She had been working side by side with me every day for a long time. I just never noticed. Someone said it takes 6 months for people's image of you to change. I'm sure next time you see them they will be blown away.

The same has happen to me this Holiday weekend. we had family here from all over . I havent seen them for ages. Now I've only carried this heavy weight since 2005. (pregnancy) So they remember me when i was smaller. So they were saying how big I was. I felt like a big fat loser!!! Nobody complimented on my weightloss.. even the ones that knew about it. Oh yeah , I did get a one really big compliment from one cousin who was so proud of me. but I guess the others still see me as big and fat . I know when I get to my goal of 165lbs. they will definitely notice. but then who cares . I did it for me and my health. My health is better and I feel lighter. I was wearing a 5x and 4x clothing but today I am in a size XL... Thats a plus... I was 289lbs at surgery , today I am 245lbs. I will be the biggest loser very soon. i love my sleeve... Stay positive and don't allow the "HATERS" to get to you . You are looking great !!!

I am so happy for your 40 lbs weight loss!! GREAT JOB!!

Believe me some of those people noticed your weight loss. Hopefully you can start turning to yourself,(AND US) for pats on the back. People who have never had WLS can be judgemental and might not say anything due to embarassment of their own weight, or just out of envy.

I haven't even had surgery yet, but when I feel discouraged I go to a store and look at all the cute LITTLE clothes that someday I will fit into. It helps, I promise!:thumbup1: I did this last night and hubby was with me. I held up a pair of WHITE jeans size 10 and said how do you think I'll look in these when I get skinny? You should of seen the look on his face!! It was precious. He just kept staring at them and tilted his head to the side, like....hmmmm :) It was probably the first time it dawned on him that I could be THAT small again!

Just know that you'll aways have a cheering squad here, ready to root you on!

Hi, I just wanted to throw my .02 in. I can speak from the other side of the experience. I knew a lady from my work, that I did not see regularly and did not know very well, but we were on friendly terms. I had noticed for the past few weeks that she had lost quite a bit of weight, but I did not want to say anything in case the weight loss was not the result of her effort, but rather because of an illness. If I knew her better or known that she working at losing weight, I would have said something as soon as I noticed, but I didn't want to offend her, or drudge up a painful experience like cancer or other illness that causes weightloss. Since I wasn't sure why/how she was losing the weight, I didn't say anything about the weightloss, even though it was noticable. When the conversation of me taking a week of work off came up, I mentioned that I was going to try to start a new weight loss program that week (I didn't tell most people about surgery), and she mentioned that she had been going to weight watchers for the last six months. That was the point where I felt comfortable mentioning her weight loss. I don't know if that is why those ladies didn't say anything to you, but it is a possibility.

Anyway, congratulations on losing 40lbs, it is signifigant regarless of who notices.:)

I agree with all the comments here, though I wouldn't use energy on 'hate', as I don't think people meant to be hurtful - they were probably thinking 'wow', but didn't like to say anything...

Once you really start changing how you dress (I can't wait to start wearing 'thin' clothes), the compliments will come rolling in.

Well done you! xx:thumbup:

Congrats on the terrific weight loss. Don't let the lack of comments bother you. When I got to about 76 pounds down people would tell me "wow, I can really tell in your face" finally I got to thinking to myself "gosh, how big was my face"??? But I was down 4 dress sizes and I have found usually most people are reluctant to comment on your body - I would think especially in a situation where you are the speaker. You are doing this for you and it is totally worth it, I just got off my blood pressure meds this week, talk about a great feeling. Keep up the good work and when you do hear the compliments remember how impressive it is what you have done. You have empowered yourself to attain good health. I think you are doing fabulous!!!

Don't worry, just keep after it. Remember you are doing this for you. I can honestly say my surgery was one of the best decisions of my life. And yes, around 60 lbs lost, they will notice and the compliments will start pouring in. I have actually gotten to a point where I wish they would sometimes (not all the time) stop talking about it. :)

I wear scrubs every day at work, so I would imagine it will take quite a while before anyone notices. Time will tell I guess - I just want to feel better and not feel like I am crammed into all of my clothes!

Well, I have felt sometimes I put my foot in my mouth when I compliment someone on their weight loss. (They always say, actually I gained, or I haven't lost an ounce.) This is after not seeing people for a bit of time. So they might not have been sure and didn't want to open that can of worms. But you know and the scale knows, so keep doing what you're doing and eventually you will get the recognition.

Personally, I like it when people don't say anything to me at all. Once I lost 70# dieting, and people who never talked to me or hardly glanced my way suddenly started giving me all kinds of attention (especially men in the workplace). And I have to tell you, I was damn uncomfortable about it. It all felt so fake. I mean, I was the same person I was before the weight loss (inside) just different on the outside, which kinda bothered me that people could be so shallow. I actually had men asking me out when they knew I was married. It was sickening. Made me want to crawl under a desk and hide. And at home, my (now ex) husband was freaking out over my weight loss. He withdrew badly and sabotaged me at every turn bringing home chocolate, ice cream, pizza (the triumvirate of evil cravings for me). Then he would tell me, you might as well eat it, you'll gain it all back anyway. I felt like freak show.

This was about 21 years ago...support was non-existent. No one could tell you how to cope with these bizarre behaviors. We (and I) am much more smarter now. My current husband would NEVER do those kinds of things. He married me fat, and truly loves the me inside, he just wants me healthy so we can be together a long time.

Now, for the good stuff...

I started backing off carbs at the end of March where my weight was 380 (13 lbs gained in less than a year from a very stressful job and eating fast foods that I didn't normally eat.) When I got to the Wt Loss Center, I was down to 359, so I felt good about that, BMI 52. I am little over 5'9" tall.

I am hoping to be sleeved either next Friday or the following Monday, the 19th of July. I have been on the Protein shakes and NO carbs since the 4th of July. Today, I weight 344.5 and my BMI is 50!!! I am thrilled. I am doing everything I can to shrink my liver down so my doc has plenty of room to do his thing without bumping into anything else. I have already had pancreatitis once in my life (an experience I would not care to repeat and really did think I was dying).

My doc has done 1000+ sleeves so I feel very confident in him. His patients from back east are following him here to do their sleeves so I feel good about that too. So far, all is going well... wish me luck, eh?

~GG1957

Update: just found out my doc didn't get his privileges this month so I might have to wait another month. I am so deflated right now I could cry and thinking about going elsewhere.

Edited by GeorgieGirl1957
update

GeorgieGirl, congrats on the BMI decrease (and the scale numbers too!!!) that is fantastic! Best of luck with the surgery, I had mine done May 19th and things went perfectly. I am down a total of 83 pounds since last November (41 since my surgery) I feel great and couldn't be happier. I think the best advice I could give is get exercise ASAP and drink your water...that combo works like a charm for me, keep us posted.