Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Down 40 pounds, and no one noticed today:)

Okay, I am having a pity party tonight. I am down pounds as of this morning and only 6 weeks out. I was so excited to see some networking friends of mine at a luncheon. I haven't seen them in at least 3 months. Unfortunately, NO ONE NOTICED! Talk about burst my bubble. Why is it that people at the office notice, but no one at the luncheon did. I was even the speaker. I mean I was standing in front of them for 30 minutes.... still nothing... :scared0:

I am trying so hard not to cry or get depressed over this, but I can't help it. :sad0:

Aww, I'm so sorry that happened. I wish I had an explanation, but, I know in the past that has happened to me. I don't know about you, but my weight used to fluctuate so much that I think folks were used to seeing me different sizes. So unless it was really drastic, they didn't notice. Not sure if that could be the case with you or not. Hang in there. I know it's tough and can really hurt your feelings, but at least the people at the office are noticing. Besides that, I bet the next time you see these ppl, they are going to be beside themsleves! The rewards have been slow going for me too, but they will come.

Hugs,

Maddie

Holli,

I know that can be very discouraging! But there may be reasons that people did not react. One may be the weight fluctuations, as mentioned by Maddie, but also, some people may feel uncomfortable talking about weight unless they know you very well. I know myself, I'm not one to really discuss weight with someone I don't know real well, unless they make a comment to me about their weight loss. I guess with my own history of yo-yo weight, I just am not sure if it is something that person wants to discuss. So, cheer up! It sounds as if the people you are closest too (Office) notice and don't discount that!!! Feel proud about what you have done for yourself! :scared0:

Maybe they noticed and just weren't comfortable saying anything because they weren't sure. I think you should focus on the fact that someone has noticed - meaning the folks at work. Oh yeah, your scale has noticed too, right? You can't argue with that. :scared0:

They are HATERS......some people just dont wanna see the next person happy....trust me,,, 6days out and i have haters already...lol..as long as u are proud of u........good luck

Hang in there, I know 40 lbs does make a difference, are you in a postion of authority ( a speaker at the luncheon)maybe if so they were intimidated and didnt mention it. Be proud of yourself and keep up the good work, the next luncheon you'll blow them away.

At your weight I can NOT imagine that it wouldn't be noticeable! That makes no sense! I am so sorry, I would be upset too. However I am super super proud of you for your loss!

Honestly, I started with a BMI of 35 and ended up losing 100lb. I swear I had lost at least 40 before people could really tell!

The truth is, when you have 100lb to lose or more and you've lost 40, you're smaller, yes, you've done great things for your health, yes, you've reason to be proud of yourself YES. But to the casual observer, lets face it, you're still fat, just not as fat as you were. Most people will be looking just like a slightly smaller version of themselves, the rolls and bulges havent disappeared yet, people might sorta notice something around your face and neck, but you most likely havent changed your body shape substantially yet.

It is a bit discouraging but you've got to get through those 40 or 50 that nobody notices to get to the next 40 or 50 which will make a MUCH bigger difference. And when you get to normal size, well I went down two clothes sizes with a 12lb loss, when I didnt drop a size at the very start until I'd lost 25lb.

You'll get there, dont let this throw you. You've already made huge changes to your health, your appearance will follow.

Oh MAN do I remember feeling the exact same way at 40 pounds!! Actually, at 40 is when people JUST started to notice, I was frustrated and amazed at how very FAT I must have been! I think they should have noticed 5 pounds gone afterall! :scared0: Funny thing is, when I hit 60 lost, suddenly everyone is telling me enough!! Don't lose any more. My advice, though I know it's hard and we all want a little attention and appreciation for what we are doing, is forget about the public. The positive attention is going to become tedious after awhile, trust me. I love all the good comments but I'm ready to move on to the next greatest thing to talk about. Make any sense??

Good luck to you and hang in there kiddo!

C

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am starting to feel better, and I think Jachut is right. To them, I am still fat. This is the point that I would normally give up, but with the sleeve there is no turning back. I have never been more proud of myself and feel like this is it for me. I may have finally kicked my food addiction. I don't think about it all the time like I used to. Thank you everyone for encouraging words and support. I love this site. No judgement, just love. Thanks everyone!

I recommend you buy a case of Water and about 10 lemons... open each one bottle and squeeze some lemon juice in them. When you go to work tomorrow, give them a gift from you.....hand each one of them a bottle of HATERADE!!!! Much Love

weight.png

VSG: March 10, 2010

Dr. Jason Balette

Houston, TX

progress.gif

Edited by Debbie031010

I think it is probably that they may have thought you lost some weight but were uncomfortable with metioning it....they may think you will then assume they identify you with your weight. It is such a sensitive topic. You are doing great, keep up the good work.

yes, the bigger you are, it takes more weight loss to notice, probably when you get to a BMI of 30 they will start to notice.

I am sure its the yo yo / weight fluxuations. It's worked for and against me in the past......to some of my smaller friends they look at me always as big I am sure.....so when i've lost a bit of weight in the past they are reluctant to say too much - as I think they can tell in my face - but maybe not elsewhere. I'm sure people noticed you looked BETTER and HEALTHIER!!!!! Whether they say it or not - I am sure they saw you radiate more than the last time they saw you. I swear I can lose 5 pounds and I feel BETTER and people smile and me more, and I think it just gives you more confidence and people respond to that. That's worth it - even if there are no comments yet. Don't worry - they are coming!!!! :001_unsure:

I think, perhaps, they are being courteous and not commenting on your physical appearance? Do these colleagues know about your surgery, or not? I've lost 50 lbs since my sleeve, and only a few people have said a word to me... some people comment on me eating less, but very few say anything about my weightloss, etc. I think perhaps they are just trying to be nice, and not get into your personal business? Hang in there, you're rockin' that sleeve! :001_unsure: