Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why don't you just call Jillian?

Tell her "Why don't you call Dr. Phil?

LOL this is so funny

People don't like change, they don't like the unknown. I have lost friends, I've quit talking to some family members about my weight loss. Go into surgery confident that with or without their support you will do fabulous, and do not allow anyone to bring you down.

this is completly true

oh this is such a difficult thing, no one supports me (my parents are old school and just dont understand) but my siblings are just plain ignorant, and have refused to take me to any appt. or pre surgery (endoscope) that have had anything to do with wls. i have had 11 surgeries my siblings only took me to one, 2 weeks ago my friend took and picked me up from my enodscope, she will also pick me up after surgery on 7-12 for band removal, i didn;t even tell my family for the endoscope or the surgery "I would never do that" or "why don't you just eat less" "she didn't need to do that" hmmm this comes from someone who herself is 100+ lbs overweight so such is family, you cant change people, I have learned to accept it and i am fortunate to have a friend that will take me-i also have in the past driven, left my car there then pick it up days later, or in the case of endo scope ask the endoscope place if my driver can pick me up after 4 pm. or i have taken a taxi there and had her pick me up, i have been doing this for years now-just the way it is, i have learned to accept it, not like it, but just the way it is.......i truly understand

I knew my mom would have issues at first and I really wanted her there with me. She did end up going and being totally supportive of me. She doesn't agree that I should be having the surgery but she respects me enough to realize I don't need her approval but as my mom all I need is her support and love. I wish everyone could understand and respect that within family and friendships. Good luck to you and well wishes.

Awww Jeannie, I am so sorry that your friend has not been supportive. I know it must feel odd to not tell your boys but you have valid reasons so I hope you aren't beating yourself up over it! Hope your appointments went well today!

i agree i have told everyone i know, except my sister who FREAKED OUT when i told her, she'll see my at Christmas and wonder lol,, i even tell strangers, but that's just me, i am proud of myself for taking this positive step and like jachut i don't really care what others think and i feel i have helped some people who were afraid of taking this step. But i'm a firm believer in " to each his own" so whatever floats your boat,, float on best of luck to all of us, jeani

Why bring unwanted negativity into my life? I come from a middle eastern background. Lots of judgement. I am american born so I tend to be very honest about myself always. Learned the hard way that my friends and certian extended family are not so accepting, and I am very sensitive. I am sooo proud of myself that I finally learned to keep my business to myself. No one knows exect my siblings who are amazing and Dad, my husband and my one best friend from childhood who is rooting me on. Some people may act happy for you and spread rumors behind your back. Keep to the ones you REALLY know well. It is your body and YOUR business!

Wow you guys are so supportive and I really appreciate it!

Mila, you touched my heart dear one! I wish I lived close to you to take you to appointments and support you.

I reread my original post and it sounded so whiney about my friend. I guess it just hit me so hard, cause she convinced me early on that she was supportive of me. She knew other than hubby, I only told her and one other friend (not even my family), and it took courage for me to share with her about this surgery.

My parents are both gone, both due to complications of high blood pressure. Because of that, and the fact that I am almost 58 years I want to have this surgery. Our youngest is close to getting engaged (I hope!) and I know he wants children. I want to be around and be HEALTHY enough to play with them!

Also, on a selfish note, I would love to look beautiful for their wedding pictures!!! :thumbup1:

Hubby just turned 62 two days ago, so retirement is near. I want to have a blast when we retire! I want to go swimming, boating, tubing hiking, traveling and more..... whew...I'm wore out already!

I would like to give you all BIG HUGS for all your love and support! You're the best!!! :)