Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I took your advice and didn't let myself take one nap and I feel good. I was able to drink all though the day without getting sick. When I went to Mexico I couldnt keep anything down until the morning I left. I think my main issue was I forgot my gas-x strips and those have been my life saver. Instead of taking pain meds I would use a strip and take a walk. It was amazing how much of a difference if made. My sister says I looked dead the first few days. My eyes change to yellow when I sick so Im so I didn't look the best lol.. I'm still on Clear Liquids until Monday then I can start to have some full liquids. What can I drink that is clear and has protien?

Yay, that is great new!!!! It really does help to start walking right away; makes all the difference in the world.

I too am on only clear liquids until Saturday. I have Protein shots which are clear and which give 26 grams of Protein a shot. I've been drinking two a day. They are almost 3 ounces each. I take a sip just about every one to two minutes to make sure that I get in enough Fluid to keep from dehydrating. I am also sipping broth, gatorade and Water and I am eating Italian icees and popsicles, which I love because just a small amount goes through at a time so they are like a self monitoring intake bar. I seem to be able to drink more than 4 ounces per hour, which I like. I asked my doctor about that since the dietician and so many others told me ust 4 ounces at a time and he said that clear liquid goes right through, so it is okay if I drink more. I just make sure to take very small sips. The Gatorade seems to hydrate me the best and stop me from feeling so parched and thirsty, but the broth tastes so good and is satisfying.

It's okay to take naps now, just make sure you are walking. Walking immediately after sugery is the most important and for that day and the next so that you don't get blood clots or DVT and it will also help move around the gas so that it can escape.

Jill

Here's a good source of clear Protein (forgive me if I already said this lol) that I've been using because I'm on clears until Sat (tomorrow). Isopure Plus Ready to Drink, zero carb/sugar 8oz bottles. You can Google for the best price if you local GNC doesn't carry it. There are 2 flavors, Grape, and fruit Punch. Another clear I've been using is Unjury chicken Soup Protein Powder, but I dilute it by half, otherwise it's too much salt. Those are both considered clears. My bariatric coordinator said take a sip, and if your body doesn't want protein yet, it will let you know--if you're ok with it, then it's ok.

Hi Everyone,

Well, I've moved over from the PRE Op board, to this POST Op board for July sleevers. I was sleeved by Dr Aceves in Mexicali on th 15th of July, so 4 days ago now!!

So far, everything is great, except for one small incident on day 2 at the hospital after I drank some apple juice. Was feeling restricted, and had a bad taste comming up from my stomach. As usual, the staff responded quickly and gave me a very thick liquid that calmed everthing down instantly, problem solved. Since then, I've been drinking lots of Water, home made chicken broth, Isopure and herbal teas. I've not yet had a protien supplement, but will try one tomorrow. (Other than then Isopure).

I seem to be able to drink fairly large amounts of liquid, without a problem. I am sipping, but after reviewing Dr Aceves POST op liquid diet outline, I'm thinking I'm not drinking slow enough....for example, was able to drink about 6 oz of homemade chicken broth in about 20 minutes. No pain...no restrictions. Is that bad?

Also, seem to be experiencing low grade headache...nothing major, just a light "pain", like as if I'm crashing from sugar...anyone else experience this in the first few days post op?

Also, just wanted to give a shout out to CLK. Cheri, hope you made it home okay...let me know once you're safe and settled....

LaSa, I also experienced the little headache you're talking about. I think our bodies are just so used to getting more fuel that they have to adjust to not getting as much. The Protein Shakes I drink seem to make me feel better when I get that feeling. I drink the whey Protein from GNC, don't know if you have those in Canada. They're the best tasting ones I've found. Glad you're doing well! I had a great experience with Dr. Aceves, too :thumbup:

I suppose it's time for me to move to this thread now that I'm sleeved! Today is day 5 for me.

I had a headache yesterday but then again, I had zero Protein yesterday. Today I had a little Isopure (yuck) and three packets of unjury, getting in my 70 grams of Protein. I think it made all the difference, because today I had no headache, wasn't tired and sluggish and managed the entire day without needing a pain pill. Well, until my two year old accidentally headbutted me in the belly - that hurt!

I'm feeling really good except for a bit of soreness around my incisions and some achiness in my abdominal muscles (like a hard workout or being pregnant).

I have ZERO hunger. I'm thrilled. Tonight we went out to eat and I was going to order chicken Soup and ask for mostly broth so I could eat with my family. However, they only had shrimp gumbo, which is something I do not eat. I was amazed that I was able to sit at the table and sip Water while my twins and husband ate their meals. I wasn't hungry in the slightest, though I admit there was a twinge of head hunger when I got a good whiff of their meals. It was a little odd - almost like I was stuffed to the gills and couldn't eat, but still I felt that ingrained desire to eat food because it's there. It was very interesting. Having no hunger made it incredibly easy to just ignore their food and chat the entire time.

I really feel for folks that don't lose hunger with the surgery, because it would be much harder that way. I'm hoping mine never comes back in the force it was prior to surgery. I was hungry every second of the day before and would eat myself sick to have a full feeling.

I'm going to hold off on a weigh-in until one week post op (Thursday) because I'm still feeling a bit bloated.

LaSa: I'm fine, thanks! :) I just hadn't moved to the post op board yet. How are you doing?

Take care everyone!

~Cheri

Hi all I never posted a follow up after having surgery last week! A week out I am feeling great! I am getting my Water in and I am still on clears til Friday so I don't have a ton of energy. I felt pretty good after surgery and was up walking around pretty quickly. Pain was minimal felt more like soreness. All the sudden I am having a reaction to my lovenox injections but otherwise I am looking to Friday and adding some mushies!

Sounds like everyone is doing great!

Hi All,

Nurse, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing these headaches too! Mine seem to come and go...and I'm thinking that once we move to mushies, the headache will go away (hoping).

Cheri, nice to hear from you! I'm doing great! Slept on my tummy last night, no pain, and only 6 days post op! I feel fortunate that I seem to be healing so well, and am getting my protien and liquids in, no problem!

I hope everyone else is doing great!

I seem to be able to drink a lot of liquid--I hope that's not a bad sign. I've got no problem getting in my liquid and Protein, but I do have a problem with exercise motivation. Today was my birthday, which is usually kind of a downer day for me, but I'm telling myself that I'll do better tomorrow.

So I weighed in and I have no idea how much I've lost. Let's say twelve since preop, because I don't know what I weighed before surgery. I was down eight pounds during the preop, but when I weighed the day before I flew to San Diego I was up five pounds again. Whatever. Twelve pounds in two weeks is more than I've ever lost in an entire month in 14 years of dieting.

I haven't had to take my diabetes medication since the day before surgery and for the first time in years my sugars are normal. I'm not sure if they'll go up again when I get to full liquids and mushies, though, so I might hold off on calling my primary doctor for a workup until I'm sure.

Ellenmarie: Good luck! Keep us posted.

Libby: It sounds like you're doing well. How long are you on the Lovenox post op? They gave me one additional shot because I flew almost 13 hours home but that's it. I hope it gets better soon in any case.

LaSa: I'm JEALOUS! I slept on the couch last night for the second night because I can't sleep on my side yet. However, I did get ten comfortable hours of sleep on the couch so I can't complain. I'm off the pain pills but I'm still a teeny bit achy if I overdo it. All in all, it's going well. But you were right...I'm ready for some real food. Not because I'm hungry, but because I'm tired of drinking my meals!

Donna: Don't fret, everything I've read says liquids go right through us and that we'll feel more fullness with mushies. I'm easily able to get in 80 ounces a day in liquids, I just can't drink a bunch at one time and I have to sip to do it. Happy Belated Birthday and don't beat yourself up over workouts yet. Just walk a little more than usual and take the steps when you can.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

~Cheri

Cheri

Last month, my normal day, I took one Metformin 1000mg twice a day, Glipizide 10MG once, Lantus 58 units a day - and Novolog when needed - ~ 6 units 3 times a day (when level went over 170). When I started my liquid diet, I stopped taking Glipizide and lowered my Lantus to 18 units and no more Novolog. Today is 8 days out of surgery and the only thing I take is 7 units of Lantus. Granted I'm back on liquid with very little intake. I assume that when I start eating a bit more my Lantus will go up some but do not expect to have to take any more pills for my type II diabetes.

Lou

I have to take lovenox for 14 days at home. DH has been giving me the shots but after calling the Dr. office this morning after my reactions aren't getting any better they told me I could stop taking them.

OK, this might sound weird, but is anyone else feeling strange about losing weight so fast? I mean look at my ticker--I'm in shock. I've never lost weight like this, it's like I don't know if I can trust it--will it stop? Will it come back? It's a lifetime of conditioning that's preventing me from feeling good about this without reservation. I'm not sure how to react--and the worst part is when I look in the mirror I can't see a difference. Is my scale lying to me?

Donna, I was very pleased (albeit surprised) to see your loss too! Although you do have a higher BMI than me, and I understand that those with a higher BMI will loose faster! Good for you! Don't fret, It's all true, and oh, so great!!

Cheri, I am glad to hear you're getting lot's of sleep! Even if it's on the couch! Funny think you mention about all the liquids....I'm tired of "drinking" from a cup all the time, so last night, I put my broth in a bowl, and used a spoon. Mentally, it made a big difference, seemed more like a meal :-)

Donna, I too am worried that I can drink so much liquid. I can drink faster than the recommended 2 oz per 15 minutes....and I'm not sure if I should be worried, slow down or just keep going. As an example, I can drink 1 cup of my protien shake in about 30 minutes.....how about others?

How long is it taking everyone to drink 1 cup of protien shake?