Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To weigh or not to weigh....that is the question!

Hi everyone! I have a question for you. How often do you weigh yourself? I seem to be "addicted" to weighing myself. I do it several times a day. Then, it just makes me feel bad because either I haven't lost anything or it is just a small amount. So, how do you handle the scale? :)

Thanks for you reply.....

SarahD.

I used to be addicted to the scale, which meant it dictated how I felt. It was horrible. It's really hard, but if you can put the scale away and only weigh yourself once a week, you will see better results and not be on such an emotional roller coaster from day to day. Trust that if you are doing the right things that you will lose.

Any more than once a week is only going to serve as self torture. There are so many fluctuations that even once a day can be disheartening. Weighing multiple times a day of course you won't see much change, we don't typically lose that much in one day.

Addicted here! : )

I weigh every morning but not again the rest of the day. Seems most people go up alittle as the day goes on. Some days it is down a little in the morning, then it might pop back up for a day or two, then down again. So long as it stays 2 steps forward and 1 step back, I am fine with it.

Weighing once a week or even longer might be better, but I would be pretty bummed if the one day I weighed was one of those up days instead of a down day! LOL

My scale has hardly moved recently but I bought a smaller size of jeans today. If you haven't taken your measurements, I would suggest doing that. I was shocked to find out that I had lost 40 inches the last time I checked!

Keep a list of NSV (non scale victories). Those will keep up your spirits when the scale disappoints!

Good luck!

Not to enable your addiction or anything :o but I found that the only day I could get true numbers on my scale was the day after I finished my period, in the morning, after using the bathroom. Gravity alone will give you higher numbers by the end of the day, plus any Water retention, if you've been on your feet all day, etc. etc. By following this method of scale use, I discovered that I "put on" 7 pounds every month right before and during my period. The day after I finished I would see not only the loss of the cycle pounds, but also the true loss of real weight.

After I'm sleeved I'm not going to buy a personal scale, I'll use the one at work when no one is around, that will keep me from constant scale use.=) I will keep a tape measure though, maybe tape myself every sunday.

Not owning a scale seems to do the trick for me.:blushing: I actually haven't owned a scale for many years. I suspect that it wasn't a good thing when the pounds were creeping up on me, but it always helped when I was actively dieting because I focused on how I felt, looked, and how my clothes fit - not what the scale said.

I almost broke down and bought one right before surgery because I had to lose a few pounds preop to make up for weight that I gained after my initial consult. But I was able to work it out by weighing myself here and there and I made to surgery successfully.

I'm a little tempted to get one now to track my progress, but I go to various doctors enough between myself and my daughter that I can get to a scale fairly regulalry. If all else fails, I can step on one at the store. I've decided to hold off on buying one until I reach goal weight. I figure at that point I may have to start playing with my diet more to maintain weight and I'll need to be able to pull myself back after a couple of pounds of gain.

I guess if you want to go cold turkey like me and some other people do, you'd have to throw yours away. :thumbup: Or, you could try putting it somewhere that's really inconvenient to get to, like in the garage or a storage closet under a bunch of stuff.

Thank you everyone for your valuable input. I'm pretty sure I've lost inches because of my clothes fitting differently, so that always raises my spirits!

Sarah

I'm addicted as well; before my surgery, I of course never weighed myselve, or very rarely. Now I do every morning. I know I shouldn't, but I can't seem to help myself. The weight is coming off quickly with the pre-op / post-op liquid diet, so I can't seem to stay off the scale! As the weight loss evens out, I'll go to a once a week weigh-in schedule (Or I'll try!)

I'm a daily weigher too... in the morning, but stay off for the rest of tha day having had my fix!

I know its wrong.. but I've spent years weighing once a week and not seeing the numbers move... so this is still a novelty losing this quick!!

I weigh myself on average once a week except the week before my period: I really start to collect Water then and don't want to depress myself by the stall. So far it's working good. The weight loss is slower now I'm close to my goal so I average one or two pounds each weigh-in.

I weigh every morning and I know it's going to fluctuate, but I don't let that bother me. I wake up every morning excited to get on the scale!

I weigh every morning. I too used to say it was wrong however it is the right thing for me. Even if I am not seeing a loss it reminds me every morning that I have made a great choice and that my efforts will continue to be rewarded! I think that everyone has their own way to motivate themself, whatever works!

I weigh myself every morning on the WII. It tracks everything and it is amazing to see how often it changes even when you didn't expect it to!

i was thinking about this same thing earlier.

i weigh several times a day. i know i shouldn't but i cant help it. i promised myself this morning that i would only weigh once a week. hopefully i can keep that promise to myself!

I weight every morning 5 days a week - first thing in the am, after the potty and in my birthday suit, I even take the pony tail holder out of my hair. The 5 days a week thing is the days after I do my Water aerobics classes. But never again after the am weigh in.