Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking for a few months and want to thank you all for the inspiration. I have been coming to this site often to read your stories and to re-convince myself anytime I start to talk myself out of it. Everything is coming together and just want Aug. 2nd to come! I'm in Ohio, and some miracle happened and my insurance is covering it. I do have a few questions though, if anyone has any information I'd really appreciate it.

First- I've had a weight issue my entire life. In 2001 I lost 75 pounds was down to goal weight and was told I have a thyroid problem. They put me on synthroid and since, I gained back the weight, and MORE. Way More. I kept asking them to take me off of it, they said that it actually helps people lose weight. I'm some kind of freak apparently because it gave me the symptoms of low-thyroid, instead of doing what it's supposed to do. Fast Forward to last year, I found out that I had thyroid cancer. They still can't get my TSH levels right, so my biggest concern with this is What are the chances I'll have this surgery and it won't work because my thyroid (or lack of-since it was removed) will mess me up. I just wondered if anyone else has had thyroid issues and if they interfered with the surgery.

Also, I start my pre-op diet on Friday (for 4 weeks) and I'm going on vacation on Saturday. I know, I need to get over it, but I'm not all that thrilled to be going on vacation and only being able to eat/drink opti-fast....but I just keep reminding myself IT WILL BE WORTH IT! I go for a class tomorrow on the opti-fast, but am I allowed to eat anything else? Go to dinner once with my family? fruit? Anything or is it just the bars and shakes for 4 weeks?

Ok, I think I'll shut up now, thanks for reading and thank you all for sharing your stories. I shared this site with my mom and best friend so they could understand a little more and also see that this is a good thing for me!

:lol0:

Aimee

Welcome Aimee. I don't have the answers you are looking for, but I know someone else will. I just wanted to say best of luck on your journey. :lol0:

I can help a bit....My sister also had cancer of the thyroid, both sides removed. She went on to have RNY and has lost 110 pounds and kept it all off. Another friend of mine and my OTHER sister just had the sleeve. Both were on thyroid medication and have lost alot of weight and are now OFF that medication. So, while everyone is different, I would say your chances are pretty good to be off the meds, and you will lose! (I promise)

Good Luck to you!

Welcome and Good luck with your journey, it sounds like your going to do fine.The 4 weeks will go by fast while you prepare for surgery.

Thanks everyone! Thanks GreenBayGirl, your post made me feel so much better about things. I just feel like I've failed at so much before, that I can't help but feel cautious about this. Thank you for the welcomes! :tongue2: I'm so excited!

Hi Aimee, welcome to the forum. I am pretty new too, so I look forward to getting to know everyone on this forum. I had my thyroid removed in 2000 because of thyroid cancer and have been on synthroid since then. What a roller coaster that has been, I gained weight on synthroid also, even though I was told it would help me lose. I am very thankful for that medication though because when I first had the thyroid removed and they were still trying to find the right dosage, I had a couple months where it took me 45 minutes to crawl to the shower take a 30 second shower and crawl (I do mean literally crawl) back to bed and I was done for the day. I was sooooo tired all the time before they found the right dosage.

I am scheduled for surgery tomorrow and my endo doctor told me that the surgery itself will have no effect on my thyroid (or the lack there of), but as the weight comes of quickly, my dose of synthroid will need to be adjusted. He wants me to come in at least every other month just like when I first started on the meds for a blood draw and medication adjustments, he also said it will be okay not to take the synthroid for a few days right after the surgery, but I will not want to miss more that a week. Thank goodness the pills are small. Anyway, that is what my endocrinologist told me about the surgery, and also he was very supportive because a healthy body weight decreases the risk of the cancer returning. Good luck with your journey.

Kelly

I forgot to add that the endocrinologist said that the surgery will work regardless of the thyroid because of the simple calorie intake vs. energy expended rule. I was also concerned that because of my thyroid cancer that I would not lose weight with the sleeve, but that is not the case according to my doctor. But, because I have no thyroid, I will have to be on synthroid for the rest of my life regardless of how much weight I lose because my body does not have an organ anymore (thyroid) to produce those hormones, I'll just have a smaller dose.

Edited by 1MP4Life
adding stuff i forgot

Congratulations on getting started down this road to a new life!

I don't know anything about thyroid issues, but it seems others have given you some good information.

I hope this works well for you and I hope you survive your vacation on your pre-op diet without too much hardship.

Best wishes to you!