Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since finding out about my surgery date August 27th, I have been out of control! My surgeon specifically said DO NOT GAIN WEIGHT, and TRY TO LOSE!!!!!!!! I don't know what's wrong with me! PLEASE HELP!!!!:)

Go on a diet to lose the weight before surgery. It's better if you can lose 10-20 lbs on your own. You have a full two months to calm down and get prepared. it will be fine. You will be fine. Best of luck.

I know what you mean. It happened to both me and my sister. But it went away after a week. Just keep telling yourself that your dream surgery will never happen if you don't follow the directions. They also want to see how discipline you can be because they have a strict menu for you for a couple of months and need to know if you can do it so that you don't have complications after surgery. If you came this far then you know you want this and you CAN do it. We felt the same way and made it through. SO Can You!!!!!! Good luck!:)

Since finding out about my surgery date August 27th, I have been out of control! My surgeon specifically said DO NOT GAIN WEIGHT, and TRY TO LOSE!!!!!!!! I don't know what's wrong with me! PLEASE HELP!!!!:)

OMG, I can totally relate re: eating everything. I'm not very big, so I don't need to lose weight pre-op or shrink my liver or anything. My only concern is that I haven't been as active as I used to be in the last 2 months, and I'd like to get back in top cardio shape before my surgery. But I have to say, unlike you, I haven't been stressed about this at all. I HAVE been eating everything I want in the last few days, and it's incredibly liberating to have a couple of chocolate truffles or a Chipotle burrito without guilt. Yeah, this will probably add another 5 lbs to my pre-op weight, but this feeling of freedom is very new to me. I can finally live my boyfriend's life - he eats whatever he wants and if he does gain a pound after consuming about 20 McDonald's meals, he just goes for a run and the weight is GONE. It's like I'm getting a glimpse of what it's like to live in another person's body....haha.

I can relate. I had a short "goodbye, favorite foods tour" immediately after getting my surgical date. Since that time though I've gotten it out of my system somewhat although if I get a chance to have a mess of fried squash blossoms I'll be ALL over that. <blush>

I can relate. It's like you've been trying to control your eating all by yourself for so long. Then finally you're scheduled and know you'll really have help, a tool you can use. And it's hard to not just let go. But I'll tell you I sure wish I'd gotten on top of things between the removal of my band and my sleeve surgery. If I had, I'd be near my lowest weight now after my 18lb loss instead of still 50 pounds away.

Even when I was sleeved I found Weight Watchers to be a great way for me to be mindful and in control of my eating. Maybe you could try that for a few weeks and just focus on maintenance. What you'll learn there is useful with sleeve too - including lots of great recipes. And many WLS patients now attend WW.

My doctor also offered me a prescription weight loss medication to help me get through it. I chose not to take it but probably should have.

Take care. Start practicing now how you're going to eat later. Up your Water intake. Don't eat and drink at the same time. Eat Protein first. Even without the sleeve that well help you maintain without feeling deprived.

You can do it!

Thank you all so much! I know what I have to do! I've got to snap out of this and just do! I promised my self to start this coming Monday!!! I will keep you posted :thumbup:

It's called the "Last Supper" ... and, many of us had many, many, many LAST "Last Suppers". It's easy to do and you are human. Just try to tamper back a bit ... don't give up everything (you won't have to anyway with the sleeve - just less of it at a sitting). If you have a Coke/Diet Coke addiction, try pulling back from that a bit so you can be caffeine/carbonation free before the surgery. You don't want to be in withdrawal while you are recovering from surgery.

Here's to Monday!

LOL at possumtrot.... honey i knew you were one of my kind before i ever looked at your location!

It is hard, but you have to get your head around the fact that:

- You'll still be able to eat all foods after the op (ok so some people might get intolerant to some foods.. .but in general they're all ok)

- Your Dr gives you a pre op diet and guidelines for a specific reason which is to prepare you internally for surgery. If this is your dream then don't sacrifice it by gaining.

- If this is the only condition he gave you then surely you want the op enough to get your head around this?

I did exactly the same....and started having food funerals.... but somehow managed to get my head around the fact that as I was a self pay, why would I waste such a huge amount of money by sabotaging and gaining weight - if you gain weight from when you last saw your Dr then you also risk a longer/different pre op diet. I was lucky enough to only have to do mine for a week.... had I gained then it would have been 2 weeks.

Its only 8 weeks til your date.... in the scheme of things thats not long... so dig deep and start looking after your body and shifting some weight... as you'll not regret it afterwards! The last thing you want is to gain, and for them to say they won't do the surgery.

Good luck

Kathy

I am sooo in the same boat... except Im not approved yet so I really need to get my shi*! straight. I just got done with my 6 month diet ands all my paper work is in but what if they decide they want more from me! Even worse Im going on vacay on thurs to Chicago...mmm pizza. Going to be tough. Time to say goodbye to bingeing!

I just came on the Forum to post this type of thread. I haven't even met with my surgeon yet but know she is very strict and that I'm supposed to already be cutting back and cutting out soda and caffeine. I'm so addicted to Dt. Mountain Dew (ya, I know, I know). I don't drink coffee or tea and love carbonated drinks. My eating is out of control because my head is telling me that I'll never have this stuff again. I've got to wrap my head around the fact that I'm going to be thinner, have more energy and feel so much better. Not to mention look better. I'm really struggling with the changes that will be coming my way but another part of my head is telling me I'm so ready to make these changes. Stupid brain. Different parts at war with each other...lol. I'm hoping after getting my sleeve, I really CAN'T tolerate fried foods. That, to me, would be a blessing. In the meantime, I've got to rein myself in but figuring out how to do that is very hard. My promise to myself is that on Tuesday (hubby is still on vacation with me on Monday) I'm going to cut portion sizes and limit my soda intake. I normally have 3 cans of Diet Dew by 10 am and then I'm done for the day and switch to Diet Coke. My plan is on Tuesday, 2 cans of Diet Dew and no Diet Coke. Trying to avoid caffeine headaches. I've already upped my Water intake so hopefully I can get on the right track. Sorry this is so long, I'm just freaking out a bit too! Take care everyone and if you are still reading, thanks for listening...lol.

Andrea

He,y Possomtrot aned MiMi,

I'm wondering were you all are doing the deed... I am looking at St Joes... anyone else looking at St.Joes Lexington.. and I would love the squash blossom recipe... had white half runners with potatoes and ribs yesterday...I get the last supper idea... I am finding myself wanting to fix all those things I think I will never get again...stupid thougth but I can't seem to stop myself... how do you get off softdrinks? I think I need to wean.. I do tend to drink way to much soft drinks- aboiut 4 a day....any ideas

He,y Possomtrot aned MiMi,

I'm wondering were you all are doing the deed... I am looking at St Joes... anyone else looking at St.Joes Lexington.. and I would love the squash blossom recipe... had white half runners with potatoes and ribs yesterday...I get the last supper idea... I am finding myself wanting to fix all those things I think I will never get again...stupid thougth but I can't seem to stop myself... how do you get off softdrinks? I think I need to wean.. I do tend to drink way to much soft drinks- aboiut 4 a day....any ideas

*sigh* oh lawsy, ribs sounds good! haha! i have not stopped drinking pop. i have not stopped eating carbs. i have not increased my Water intake. i am failing miserably.... and my surgeon consult is tomorrow. i'm nervous but since i'm self pay and there's no pesky insurance to deal with, i'm on my OWN schedule. it can get postponed so that i can get this under control if need be. so be it. i AM going to do this!

i chose bluegrass bariatrics with weiss, oldham and denk. for some reason i'm drawn to weiss as a surgeon. he was practicing at georgetown bariatrics the first time i considered WLS a few years ago so i guess i've just sort of followed him. and the other 2 seem wonderful as well, which is good because at that practice they always have 2 surgeons present for every procedure. that's comforting to me. they are located in central baptist... which i'm sure you know is a wonderful hospital.

good luck in your decision! if you have any questions, just ask. i'm an open book. but i will tell you that i have not been a model patient! :angry:

Edited by Mi-Mi