Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band or Gastric Sleeve???

I am so glad that I read this post. I was seriously torn between getting the band or VSG. I had actually decided upon not getting the band until 2 days before my consultation appointment. I decided to get the sleeve after I met with someone with it. She told me about the advantage of not having to have the pricey fills and I won't have to go the doctor as often. I cant wait until I 11/24(surgery date).

I would agree... I was everywhere with decisions but the Vs seems like the best option for the long run with no further issues or complications like the band.... I cant wait either!! Doctors tomorrow, and the hopefully appt for Sept 16th, woohoo!!

I am so nervous about the sleeve surgery (aug 16th). This will obviously be the band to sleeve.

My only concern is REFLUX. I have terrible Reflux with band and I am sure those who were banded earlier can relate to this.

Does REFLUX problem exist with sleeve. The good thing about band is that you can get unfil and the reflux will stop.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

I am so nervous about the sleeve surgery (aug 16th). This will obviously be the band to sleeve.

My only concern is REFLUX. I have terrible Reflux with band and I am sure those who were banded earlier can relate to this.

Does REFLUX problem exist with sleeve. The good thing about band is that you can get unfil and the reflux will stop.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Some people's reflux resolve with the sleeve. Others need to be on a PPI. I choose to stay on my PPI even though I can technically wean off of it. I never had reflux before my sleeve, with my band, or before my band. I'm not willing to have it now. So, I pop my little Prilosec in the morning and go about my day.

I had horrendous reflux with my band and don't get that anymore although I can still get really bad heartburn/indigestion occasionally which makes me retch and want to vomit. Like Tiff I still take my PPI in the morning as the consequences of too frequent vomiting after several hernia repairs are worse for me than staying on the Lansoprazole.

Thanks for opening up this thread. I have several collegues (other nurses) who have been banded, and when I ask why not the sleeve, they all talk about fear of it being more invasive. I wonder if their real fear isn't that it's more permanant- and if they don't secretly hope they will one day be able to have it removed with no muss, no fuss and somehow be able to eat however they want without regaining the weight... It's just my supposition, but I don't know. I rethought the sleeve based on their positive experiences with the band, but I just can't stand the thought of a foreign object indwelling, like a potential ticking time bomb for complications.

I appreciate all of the posts; it helps to cement my decision to have the VSG.

My doctor told me that almost every person with WLS will have problems with reflux for the first 3 months and will need to take a PPI for at least that length of time. Unfortunately, the PPI's made me feel really nauseous every time I took them, so I tried it without and felt much better. I have been fortunate that I haven't had trouble with acid, heartburn, or reflux. The one time I did have heartburn and reflux was when I took some Bariatric Advantage chewable Vitamins.

I don't use artificial sweetners and have eaten very little chocolate. Also my surgeon used a 40f bougie. It's possible that one (or all) of those things have been factors in my not having problems with reflux.

There's just no difference between the band and the sleeve. With the sleeve you get reduced or no hunger and a normal eating experience where small portions feel just like a big meal used to. Most people can eat most foods - most importantly can eat lean meats and vegetables.

With the band you get expensive fills as you chase after the elusive perfect level of restriction. Over 50% of the people who get the band have complications and many of the complications cause permanent damate (I now have a dilated esophogas). You still have your full stomach which means the food that makes it through the band has a nice big stomach to land in. You get hungry but you don't really get full, you just get a bunch of food at the top of your stomach that comes up your throat if you don't stop. And then there's stuck food - hardly anything in life is that uncomfortable.

My surgeon believes the sleeve will overtake gastric bypass within the next 10 years. And we both thing the lap band will eventually be recalled once some past patients with permanent damage like me get together with a lawyer and create a class action law suit.

Sleeve, the easy choice. I can't believe how well it works.

I am currently waiting for insurance approval for the lap band. I had a left hip replacement in 1998 and I remember my orthopaedic surgeon aways warned me about the importence of not getting an infection. Even when I have dental work I have to take 4-6 antibiotics a couple of hours prior to my procedure. I mentioned this to my lap band doctor which by the way has a lap band himself said I have nothing to worry about any comment on this would be useful.

If we gave the prisoners in Guantanamo the lap band, it would be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

If they videotaped them living with the band, people would be outraged, and consider the rest of the stuff to be very minor.

So go ahead, torture yourself, and get a band. Nothing, like never feeling full, but being hungry the rest of your life.

What I tell folks now days as a banded person who will be sleeved in a few days is this.

Go online and TRY to find people who are 5-10 years out who:

1. Still have the Lap Band

2. Who aren't having problems

3. And are near goal.

No surgeon out there can tell you how long a band will last. I have a dinosaur of a band in me right now that has caused pure hell over the past 5 years.

I found out the other day that in order to be certified to do Lap Bands by the company that makes the band all a doctor has to do is be a surgeon with advanced laproscopic surgery skills, sit through a class on how to do bands and do TWO surgeries in front of a judge type person to see if they did it right, then they are a certified Lap Band Surgeon!!! No college classes beyond being the doctor they were before to do weight loss surgery. Scary huh?

I forgot to say I too have PERMANENT DAMAGE to my esphagus and I don't think it's as uncommon as they say it is. I agree with Britt about the class action suit, I'd be the first signature to join and my husband right behind me. :D

I had been to a couple surgeons who only did lap band and this last seminar talked about the gastric sleeve as well. I'm now trying to decide between the two. I know the complications of both....with the sleeve I like that there aren't any adjustments or pb'ing or getting "stuck", but I don't like the idea of how permanent it is. I would love to hear some opinions from others on the topic.

Thanks!!

Kylie

Check out Puget Sound Surgical Center in Seattle. They have a new out of town program that is very comprehensive. They are know to be the highest skilled laporoscopic surgeons in the U.S. My dad and his wife had their surgery with this clinic. I guess the are the best in the U.S. Good Luck!

For me, it was a matter of bouncing back and forth from one to the other to the third choice, then finally moving from wanting the band to wanting the sleeve. (I have yet to have my surgery.)

I decided on the sleeve after weighing how I perceived the band as temporary. I wasn't seriously committed. I think a lot of folks do the same - "if I have trouble I can have it removed." My weight gain has been progressive, and consistent for a long time. Nothing about that sounds temporary. Once I got used to the idea that my commitment needed to be a permanent choice, the decision to have the sleeve made the most sense. That, and knowing I wasn't having something artificial implanted into my body. (Have you SEEN the videos of what a band looks like inside of you after a few years? Holey crap!) I'm content the sleeve will let me live the most normal life - just as a much thinner me.

Dave

I am new here myself and havent had my surgery either. but after doing all my research, i decided to go with the vsg. only because i dont like the idea of a foreign body inside of me, and i do like the fact that i can eventually go back to a normal diet. i mean, eating without avoiding certain foods, and smaller portions. the slipping, eroding, that all kinda scares me. it was a big decision and i did tons of research...and still am :lol0: but that is where i am right now with it. i wish you the best of luck, and who knows...we may be learning together!