Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't believe I HAVE A SURGERY DATE!

Wow, after two years is this really happening?! I am finally going to have my sleeve done in Mexicali w/ Dr. Aceves on July 28th!!!! It's still unreal because I just finalize my date and paid the deposit today. Getting my flight tonight. I guess as I start buying things and start my liquid diet it will become real to me. Part of me is saying it's not going to happen so don't get too excited. Yet, the other half can't stop dancing. :laugh0:

Anyway, I mentioned a liquid diet but wanted to say that my surgeon does not require one. Low carb high Protein for 7-10 days pre-op is required. I just want to do the liquid because...I do! I like knowing that if I just can't tolerate pure liquids that I can pick something off the list and still be ok.

I will probably be going alone but there's a chance my friend might come with. I'm at a crossroad with telling my fam. I really want to have it done then tell them afterward so that they won't be worried to death while I'm in surgery and out of the country. On the other hand if something were to happen, their shock would unimaginable. I used to be able to say I deal with that when the time comes but now the time is here! They don't anywhere near me so it's now like I have to account for being MIA but I usually talk to them everyday. While in Mexico I will not be using my phone regularly because the cost is tooooo high. Hopefully I can get away with 2 or less calls.

Just want to share my news. Yeaaaaaaa! :thumbup:

Congratulations Skye! I've been following your posts and waiting to see when you would get a date. I'm so glad you have one now. I'm not quite sure why you want to torture yourself with a liquid diet, but good luck :thumbup:

I totally understand your thoughts about telling your family. I decided to only tell my sister and she blabbed to my mom, so that took care of that. My mom is not at full health, so I didn't want her worrying about me. But, in the end, it worked out.

I think you should consider telling one trusted family member and swearing them to secrecy if necessary. That way, you'll have someone to run interference for you with the rest of the fam and maintain contact with the hospital when you can't make calls.

Maybe you could just tell them you and your friend are going to Mexico for vacation...:laugh0:

CONGRATS on a date. How exciting!! I know what you mean about telling your family,but I think maybe you should tell just one family member. Please keep us updated.

Deb

I've been following you as well and am very excited for you to have a date! I am going to see Dr. Aceves on Thursday for sleeve surgery on Friday. I am in the same position with my family. Obviously, my husband knows what I am doing and where I am going. My mother knows what I am doing, but I told her I am having the surgery done in San Diego. My father and my sister think I am going to a weightloss spa. My father would never allow me to do what I am doing (yes I am 41, an adult and the mother of 3 girls, but what my Dad says, goes!). My sister wouldn't understand. She is tall and thin and enjoys working out, everything I am not!

Anyway, I ramble, but I get what you are going through. I will let you know how I do this week/weekend and maybe it will help you!

Congrats!

xoxo

that's just great, just goes to show us that perseverance takes us to our goals. i wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted. welcome to the loser's bench and enjoy your journey to weight loss.:thumbup:

Thank you all for your support! I'll update if I share my decision with my fam and let you know how it went. Jennifer, I am interested to hear your experience. Good luck with your surgery!

Congrats on finally getting a surgery date! I am going to Dr. Aceves in a couple of days, so I will also let you know what to expect. As far as family goes, my husband and sister are the only two that know. My mom and her husband and my dad and his wife all know that I am considering wls, but none of them think it's a good idea. I am sure they would go crazy if I told them I was going to Mexico for surgery. So, I decided not to tell them until after, and even then it will only be the next time I see them and they notice the weight loss, I live a distance away from them so I probably will not see them for several months. I won't lie to them about having the surgery, but I am not going to give them reason to worry and time to try to talk me out of this. Anyway, congratulations on the surgery date!:thumbup:

Kelly

Thanks Kelly! I will prob keep it to myself until afterwards as well. I don't think I can wait until the next the time I see them though. I was thinking it might be a nice surprise for my mother since she's always going on about my weight but I don't think I will be able to keep it in that long! We are really tight so I'm bound to spill the Beans. Despite our closeness I just can't tell them beforehand.

Congratulations - you must be so excited about it all. Do keep us informed....this month will fly by quicker than you think and you'll soon be on the losers bench.

Kathy

Yayyyyy! Please give keep us an update after your surgery :001_unsure:

Hey girl! I was just checking on you. You should be sleeved by now!

Hope it all went well and you are recovering nicely!

Can't wait to hear from you.