Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went for surgery on 6/25

Well here is my story:

I went to TJ for my surgery as planned on 6/25. The hospital was super nice and I met the doctors and the staff who were all extremely well spoken and explained everything for me. I got settled into my room and they started my IV and took my blood samples for my blood tests. The anesthesiologist came in to explain her portion and we went over my medical history and current and past medications from the year. All I had left to do was my EKG. I asked the anesthsiologist if she could give me something for nerves and she said sure she had her bag with her and I clarified that it would not interfere with the EKG I was going to have she assured me it would not.

She shot the medication Midalozam straight into my IV like a gun. My mother who is an RN was right next to me on my right side along with the doctor. It burned a lot I got extremely dizzy and suddenly i felt my chest closing up the last words I squeeked out were I CANT BREATH. My mom caught the words and immediately her hand went to my chest. My body was paralyzed from my head to my toes. I could not make a sound I could not flinch a muscle all I could do was sit there in my own private torment begging for someone to start giving me air but I couldnt move let alone make a sound. I remember the doctor grabbing my chin and pulling my neck up telling me to take a deep breath and believe me I was trying so hard but my chest would not move. My mom is getting louder telling her SHE IS NOT BREATHING, the doctor ran to the other side of the bed and I remember feeling her put the oxygen mask over my face telling me to breath but I could do nothing and finally I passed out from lack of oxygen. I guess the doctor ran from the room and came back with the entire staff and the crash cart. They intubated me and pumped me with oxygen for the next three minutes during which time they threw my mom out of the room. The doctor gave me something to counteract the medication that had been given to me and within another minute I regained consciousness slowly. The first thing I remember is the metal tip of the laryngoscope (thing opening my airway up and protecting me from coming to and biting my tongue off) it was sort of gagging me though the air felt like heaven. They were all saying my name and telling me to breath...the whole room was just trying to coax me. I came too twitching and I remember them pulling the air bag away from my mouth because i was taking tiny breaths but I was thinking oh god put it back I am not getting enough air on my own. I thought crap I come back only to still not be able to breath I would rather be passed back out, but after another thirty seconds I was able to let my head roll to the side and saliva was dripping from my mouth. It felt so damn good to be able to do something that I was meaning to do. After they suctioned my airway and pulled the tube from my throat they threw the regular oxygen mask on me to help me get enough pure air into my lungs and they starting trying to get me to talk...they asked me how I felt and I mumbled out something then I just said MY MOM and they went to go get her. She walked in and then I finally started crying. I continued to be monitored and given oxygen for the next half hour where all my vitals returned to normal but I of course was an emotional wreck.

Now before anyone speculates where I had surgery I will say I am not going to be sharing that info but I assure you it was not Dr. Almanza's clinic. The doctors and the clinic I went to are great but I think two things were a fluke..first off I obviously can't tolerate that medicine and nobody could have predicted that and two the doctor administered it way to fast...those things should be titrated (given slowly) over a period of two minutes. I think the doctor learned a valuable lesson regarding that and had no way to know i personally would respond that way.

I decided to come home without going further I was in no shape mentally to have surgery and quite honestly I was too scared to have another drug pumped into me at that point.

I have been home since late that same day and am dealing with anxiety about it. I wake myself thinking I can't breath and last night it was so bad I had a panic attack that ended me up at my local ER where the doctor assured me that I was not going to suddenly stop breathing again but that the medication has it's own sort of withdrawl symptoms that can cause anxiety on top of the experience I had.

I am bummed because I really wanted the surgery but I am happy to be alive at this point and think I am going to give it a go at doing it on my own. My BMI is not that high and I think it is worth another shot at this point. Who knows down the road if I will do it, but I can't imagine right now I would have any support of my family in choosing to go back. I think if I would not have asked for anything for nerves the surgery would have went off without a hitch but I like to think I can read the signs and deduce that now is not the right time.

I wish everyone luck but I wanted to report back just to share my experience. That complication percentage is small but it sucks to the statistic and it could have cost my life.

I'm soo sorry you suffered this reaction to the medicne and I agree it should have been given slowly, and the terror of not getting air. You did the right thing for you and that's all that matters. Sometimes kismet or fate hand you a definite sign and boy:thumbup: was that ever one to make you stop and think. It wouldnt matter where you were,USA or Mexico that had to be scary. I'm praying for you..that all the bad feelings go away and you are at peace. Take care of yourself and we are here for you no matter what.

First of all, thanks for letting us know what happened and why you haven't been around. It's great to know you are doing well now. I can't imagine how horrible for you and your Mom. Thank God you received proper treatment to get you breathing again. I sure don't blame you for going home after that episode. Best of luck in your future whether you choose to have the surgery or not. I hope you find peace from the anxiety and bad dreams.

Edited by Maddie

Thank you both for the kind words I am playing it by ear right now. Time will tell if I feel the courage to try again.

Goodness, girl! I had it in my brain that your surgery was for 6/28....I am so sorry to hear about this, but I am sooo thankful they were able to pull you out of it!! I will keep you in my prayers!!

Karen

I changed docs two weeks before surgery and got an earlier date for all the good it did me lol

I am sorry you had this reaction. I had the same and was fine. What makes people react differently to drugs?

Jane x

I can only imagine how scared you were... thank goodness they were able to counteract the effects of the medication. I am sorry I did not see your post until today.

Very sorry to hear of your experience. Best of luck to you with whatever you decide for your future. My heart goes out to you.

I am sorry you had this reaction. I had the same and was fine. What makes people react differently to drugs?

Jane x

Hi Jane,

I wrote in her other thread (Disappointed with this site), MY opinion of what actually happened in that OR. I don't think she had a bad reaction to the drug Midazolam. I think she had exactly the RIGHT reaction to a neuromuscular blockading drug, that they gave to her accidentally at the wrong time in the pre-anesthesia process. I don't think she ever got the Midazolam in the first place. It was a mess in there.

Geeze.... I can't believe that happend. I'm thankful you were at a place where they knew what to do in those types of emergencies. I can't imagine how scary that must have been. Your mom must have been out of her mind durring those minutes in the hall.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision about when and if the sleeve is right for you.

take care

stacey

Blimey..... I don't know how to respond really..... so sorry you had to go thru it but I'm glad you're here with us now.

Good luck in whatever route you decide to take from now.

Kathy

Wow, that is some scary stuff! It's terrible you went all the way down there and didn't have surgery but after that experience I wouldn't want to be put under either. I'm glad you made it through okay. As a nursing student that is one of my fears about medication administration. Those plungers can be hard to push slowly (especially for a newbie) and it is so important to get the timing right because of side effects like the one you had. I wish you the best as you try to do it on your own.

I am so sorry. Your story is terrifying. I can't imagine being able to see/hear what is happening around you and not be able to ask for help. It sounds like a huge blessing that your Mom was there. I am so glad to know that you will be okay. Best of luck in your decision making process.

Anna

That is totally scary and it would freak me out for a long long time. I am glad you are now physically OK. It would probably trigger anxiety attacks in me for months (as I am prone to them anyway). Again, I am glad you survived that ordeal.