Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decisions, Decisions!!! Which doctor?

Hello!

My name is Krista and I have been following this forum for a few months now, absorbing as much information as possible after I made the decision to have WLS. Since I'm here - I have obviously decided on the sleeve!

I have always been one to research and like to obtain as much information as possible, whatever the topic (love my iphone and ability to Google search whenever I want, wherever I want!). For whatever reason, these last few months have been crazy for me...it seems like the more information I read, the more CONFUSED and indecisive I am! :svengo:

My insurance does not cover surgery and with the costs involved, I'm headed to Mexico. :thumbup:

I have (at least I think I have, lol) settled on two different physicians, Dr. Guillermo Alvarez or Dr. Alberto Aceves - both of these physicians have greats reviews on the boards, I haven't found anything bad....not that this is a "bad" thing, but I can't imagine that everything is always roses and warm fuzzies.

Does anyone have any helpful information for me to help with my decision from what they have seen, read, heard, know firsthand, secondhand - anything!

Thanks much!

I honestly have never heard, met, talked to, read about anyone having a remotely bad experience with Dr. Aceves. Nothing negative pops into my head about Dr. Alvarez either.

I can share my opinion with you. I was a revision patient, I have some medical issues that can cause complications outside of the actual surgery, I researched Mexico and US surgeons, and at the end of the day, Dr. Aceves would have been my surgeon if insurance would not have come through on my revision, and if I needed to travel outside the US.

It was a comfort level thing for me. All the research led me to him, his staff, the facilities he operates out of, the sheer number of successful revisions he'd performed, plus additional years of surgical experience that he has under his belt, all contributed to my choice. I had some stateside surgeons picked out as well that are located in Texas because that is where my family lives.

The aftercare that is available to you with Dr. Aceves via email and phone was big contributing factor to making him my choice for MX surgeons. Plus, the 3 months f/u labs and upper gi that he offers and recommends gave me another level of comfort with him. I mean seriously, how many MX surgeons offer aftercare at all? Not many.

Just my 2cents. ;)

can't help you there chickie, but you know too that everything isn't roses and warm fuzzies as you say, therefore, this decision is yours. . .my decision came after 2 years of thinking and then after i had it done i was sorry i did it. . .not because i had the surgery but because i lost the ability to 'pig out'. . . yeah can you imagine that. . stupid huh? I no longer was able to gulp drinks or go to a buffet and eat mounds of food, i was no longer able to sit down in front of the tv and eat hords of food while watching my favorite tv show. . . nope, i had to turn into a lady. . . darn it anyhow. . there are days i still regret having had the surgery, but you know what? I'd rather be the way that i am now then the big fat slob i was. . . at 350 i couldn't even wipe my backside never mind bend down to fasten my shoe. . . now at 230 I can do it without a problem, climb up stairs and a few minutes later wonder how i did that without being out of breath. . . i don't snore anymore, the apnea is gone, my cardiologist took me off the nitroglycerine for chest pain, i won't need the bilateral knee replacements either. . . so yeah the decisions on the doctors are something else. . . but the benefits of the surgery are REALLY something else! you need to weigh your pros and cons. . . if the decision is scary for you because of no bad reviews on the doctors, then you must ask yourself "are you really ready for this challenge" . . . good luck in your decision making and may the best come out for you!

Thank you Tiffykins for your input on Dr. Aceves - I am glad to know that you considered him as well! I wish my insurance would cover these types of things and I could be closer to home, but then again - being self-pay adds that much more motivation and determination because I've had to spend my own money!

thinoneday - I have really soul searched this decision...I KNOW that I am going to miss the same things you speak of and I KNOW that there is going to be some regret at times, but I have never been so sure of something as I am with this surgery in my entire life (my confusion and back-and-forth with myself comes only when deciding WHO I trust to do this for me!) I am absolutely, 100% ready for this challenge. I know that I won't always like it, but I'm crossing my fingers that I will feel the exact same way as you do when it comes to the pros outweighing the cons...

I will be 30 in October, I have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) due to my weight (which also makes my body act as thought it was type II diabetic) and although not officially diagnosed, I'm pretty sure I have sleep apnea because my husband will tell me about how I'll stop breathing at night....I can't have children right now due to my weight and PCOS and I have never really "known" the meaning of the saying "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired" like I do right now.

I'm not doing this so that I can strut my stuff down a beach in a bikini in a few years - I have a husband and no reason to impress anyone, I just want to be healthy and start a family!! This is just a "tool" to aide in my "recovery" as an "addict" and I have never wanted something soooooooo badly! As my boss and mentor always says...."If you always do what you always do, you will always get what you always get". It is time for a change......a permanent one! I can't think of anything else more "permanent" and motivating then this procedure.

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

Krista,

I don't know anything about Dr Alvarez since I didn't research him or use him. But I can tell you my experience with Dr Aceves was positive. My insurance did not cover the sleeve and even if it had I wouldn't have been covered since I was a lightweight. I chose Dr Aceves for many of the reasons that Tiffykins listed and also because I had wasted so much time researching the lapband and when I decided I the sleeve was the way to go I just wanted it done before too much more time had passed. I wanted a date without waiting too much longer or jumping through hoops. Money wasn't an issue for me (self-pay lapbad was going to be $20,000 locally and that didn't include fills or followup). So I knew I had to go out of state since at the time no one was doing the sleeve locally. Going to Mexico to Dr Aceves was a no brainer since the recovery was in a hospital and everything was taken care of - and he has tons of experience and great reviews/stats. I had briefly checked out some US physicians and wasn't 100% impressed. If I had wanted to wait longer I might have stayed in the US and gone to Cirangle or Jossart but like I said by that time I just wanted it done. I am a nurse so I am picky and not easily impressed. I would certainly recommend going to Dr Aceves for surgery. Good luck in your journey.

Frankie

VSG 03/22/10

Krista,

I was sleeved on 6/15 with Dr. Aceves. The aftercare I have received has been great, even though he has been at a convention all week. I got sick 6 days after the surgery (unrelated to the surgery) and he and his staff have been so helpful and responsive. I don't know anything about Dr. Alvarez, but Dr. Aceves is a proctor surgeon meaning he trains other surgeons and he has done over 700 procedures. My ex who is a PCP is very impressed with my experience and the care I received. Dr. Aceves follows you for at least 5 years and is collecting outcome data.

hi, i can only talk about my experience with Dr. Aceves and his staff. I can tell you that it has all been worth it and that they are very professional and reliable. I never had any complaints. Nina, his patient coordinator helped me with all the questions i had and explained step by step the whole procedure. So if you ask me again, I definitely recommend him!!! goodluck and I wish you the best.:)

Awesome!

Thank you Frankie and delawaregal for your personal experiences. I really do like everything I've read about Dr Aceves and I do like that recovery is in a hospital and not partially in a hotel. I also liked that he conducts 3 leak tests to be absolutely sure you are sealed up tight! Great follow-up care is a bonus, too!

I guess I just need to schedule a date!